Paramilitary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheViper

Paramilitary

Post by TheViper »

I'm pretty new to spyderco, I recently bought a ambitious then I have a Delica on it's way. I was really interested in the Paramilitary. I started doing some research and hear pretty great things about it. I just have a hard time with the pricetag. So my question is, is it worth it? Does it stand out to everyone once in hand? Thanks in advance for all the help.
jossta

Post by jossta »

For $90, you will not find a better knife. Amazing ergos, strong lock, good materials.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Welcome to the forums Viper!

The Para 2 is a fantastic knife. Well worth the money!

The expensive part is trying to NOT buy more of them...
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

i definitely think it is worth it. the para and para2 are some of my favorite spyderco's.

Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

$90? I saw it listed on the spyderco website for $219. Was I looking at a special model? Where can I find it for $90, I'll pick on up tomorrow at that price.
mattman

Post by mattman »

That price is MSRP... "Street price" is much less. There are several vendors that are often hinted at around here that have great prices and service.

I'm new enough around here to not be sure of proper etiquette of listing them...
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

cutleryshoppe.com. The price is so good they seldomly have them in stock though.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

How similar does the Para feel to the Manix in hand?
jossta

Post by jossta »

Para 2 fits my hand better than the Manix 2.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jossta wrote:Para 2 fits my hand better than the Manix 2.
Hey, I do find something that we agree on Jossta. ;)
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

I'm sure the knife store I usually go to will charge $220+
jossta

Post by jossta »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hey, I do find something that we agree on Jossta. ;)
Lol, finally!
TheViper wrote:I'm sure the knife store I usually go to will charge $220+
Find new knife store? I have dealt recently with SpydercoVT, Knife Center, Knife Works, Cutlery Shoppe and Howes Knife Shop. All of them have spectacular customer service. CS even has free shipping right now with a coupon code.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Not only is the Para 2 "worth" $100, it is actually priced at a very low profit margin, meaning you get far more knife for the money than basically any other knife.

S30V, beautifully flat ground, a precise and strong compression lock, nice grippy G-10, great ergo's and overall design, etc.

Along with the Sage 1, I believe it's by far the best value and quality at the $100 price point (Caly 3 or 3.5 are too if you can get it for that).
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

TheViper wrote:$90? I saw it listed on the spyderco website for $219. Was I looking at a special model? Where can I find it for $90, I'll pick on up tomorrow at that price.
mattman wrote:That price is MSRP... "Street price" is much less. There are several vendors that are often hinted at around here that have great prices and service.

I'm new enough around here to not be sure of proper etiquette of listing them...
Check this site. It's one I use a lot. Very competative prices and great customer support.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/manix2c101 ... new-2.aspx

I'm not sure of the exact rules but mentioning web sites that sell Spyderco knives and products seem to be allowed.

Jack
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

TheViper wrote:$90? I saw it listed on the spyderco website for $219. Was I looking at a special model? Where can I find it for $90, I'll pick on up tomorrow at that price.

Actually, you're looking at the Paramilitary 1 there:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=34
That knife is in fact a little pricier than the Paramiltary 2, which is available for around and less than $100 with an MSRP of $169.95:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=472

Most people like the Para 2 even better than the Para 1, but as always, there are some hardcore Para 1 fans that like the "original" Para better. You can do a search here and find lots of threads about these two knives and their differences.

If your knife is going to be a user and not bought as a collector's piece, I'd say go with the Para 2. There are some improvements that make it a better EDC, i.e. the better handle-blade ratio and the improved pivot aera (when closed).

Dennis
DrSpeed

Post by DrSpeed »

This sounds like a serious addiction in the making ;)
My first "expensive" knife was the Paramilitary 1, the predecessor of the actual model, for about he same price. I've never regretted it and still use it regularly.
Why not always? Because it has to compete with it's stablemates that seem to grow in numbers without me really noticing it... :D
Endura VG-10 Delica ZDP-189 Paramilitary all black Military CPM S30V camo Perrin Street Bowie Tenacious Kiwi 3 Ladybug serrated Byrd Cara Cara G10 Byrd Cara Cara Rescue Byrd Meadowlark Caly 3.5 UKPK Pacific Salt UKPK Rescue
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

TheViper wrote:So my question is, is it worth it?
Only you can determine if it is worth it to you. I mean, you have a Delica on the way, and that in itself is a very nice knife and will probably handle most any cutting task you throw at it, unless you just need a longer blade (cutting watermelon etc :) ).

My own perspective of whether a knife is "worth it" seems to have evolved over time. Initially I never wanted the Paramilitary, it was priced about the same as the Military at the time, and in my mind "more blade for the same price" was always better, so I bought an orange Military (which I love). I only just recently bought a Para-2 (the gray G10/CTS-20CP one) and now I see why other folks liked it so much, it really is comfortable in my hands, and I don't always need the longer blade of the full Millie (I'm often just whittling/carving and sometimes a smaller blade is more convenient for that than a 4" blade).

Only problem is, once you convince yourself you can afford to spend $90-130 on a Spyderco knife, they have so many of them that are very appealing in that range :D . And knives you used to think were ugly develop their own special appeal LOL.
cckw

Post by cckw »

TheViper wrote:I'm sure the knife store I usually go to will charge $220+
I see prices quoted on this forum that I never see in the wild. I don't know if some dealer play games with pricing on out of stock items, or whatever, but you can't consider a product that can't be shipped.

I prefer buying locally and I do on Spyderco. However, If your local dealer is charging you full retail I would suggest buying online. It is normal to find Spyderco in the range of 40% off the MSRP price.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I usually buy from Cutlery Shoppe (usually referred to as CS on this site), if they have the model I want in stock, or if I'm willing to wait for it if it's on backorder. They are out of stock on a lot of popular models because they usually have the best prices so a lot of people shop there.

If I'm not willing to wait, there are several other good sites that charge about 10% more and usually have most regular production models in stock.

I recently was lucky to snag one of the 20CP Para 2 sprints from CS at a great price. They had 20 of them and sold out of them within a few hours of posting them on the site in the middle of the night.

The regular production Para 2 is a great knife and a fantastic bargain since they can usually be found in various online stores in stock for close to $100 shipped (+/- ~$10) for the satin blade S30V version.

The CTS-20CP sprint version is well worth the extra cost, imo, if you can afford it and if you can find one. It has become my favorite EDC by far and kicked the S30V version out of my pocket. (I wish Spyderco could use 20CP for regular production knives.)
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

jossta wrote:Para 2 fits my hand better than the Manix 2.
+1
I love the feel of the Para2. The manix just does not do it for me and i have tried to like it. I have gone through 3 Manixs trying to get to like them but it just is not meant to be...