Manix 2 with CTS BD30P Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike157

Manix 2 with CTS BD30P Steel

Post by Mike157 »

I've just noticed that the Manix 2 that was scheduled to be produced with CTS B75 steel has been changed to use CTS BD30P steel. I've been searching all over (including the Carpenter Technology website) and have not been able to find any information on it. I'm not the best at searching but there does not seem to be a lot of information available yet. I have seen a couple of references to it but that is all.

Is anyone familiar enough with this steel to provide an overview and a composition list? I'm also interested in what the "BD" might stand for - as in CTS BD1. I'm guessing the "P" represents "powder technology".

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Donut

Post by Donut »

Apparently I'm bad at searching, too, the only information I can find is that BladeHQ has them for pre-order.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Pretty much got my answer in the just released product announcement "Manix2 Sprint - C101GBD30P2". CTS BD30P is similar to CPM S30V. Thank you for the announcement Dapagco. Mike
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

How come the only listing I can find for this is on the Spyderco page? No dealers have this one?
On the hunt for...
black

Post by black »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:How come the only listing I can find for this is on the Spyderco page? No dealers have this one?

Maybe because they aren't even available yet??? KC and KW have them on pre-order.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Dealers apparently should get them soon...shipping in a couple weeks.
On the hunt for...
cckw

Post by cckw »

Wow, sounds like an embarrassing mistake.
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

Unfortunate about the CTS-B75 would have made me happy. :(
Since it resembles nearly the BG42. :eek:
Of the S30V there are already 4 sprint runs out,
but must it nevertheless have :D
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Carpenter CTS-BD30P
CARBON 1.50
CHROMIUM 14.00
COBALT 0.90
MANGANESE 0.50
MOLYBDENUM 2.00
NICKEL 0.25
SILICON 0.40
TUNGSTEN 0.20
VANADIUM 4.00

Crucible CPM S30V
CARBON 1.45
CHROMIUM 14.00
MANGANESE 0.50
MOLYBDENUM 2.00
SILICON 0.50
VANADIUM 4.00
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

So it should be more wear resistant if I know my elements right.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VashHash wrote:So it should be more wear resistant if I know my elements right.
The Cobalt could help it some, but I think they will be VERY close as the other added elements will help grain refinement.

It will likely take CATRA to see the difference.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah I wouldn't imagine a drastic improvement but still slightly better. I'm sure none of us would really notice. 20cp has a few variances from S90V but from your test they both seem to perform the same. I should get my 20cp today. Just something about gray g10 makes it easier to beat on than cf. I can't say for sure I'll get this manix but its possible. Id rather try out the B75. I've never used bg42. Always wanted to get the bg42 millie but can't seem to find one. Most people are selling the S90V ones instead. I haven't even seen an S30V cf millie for sale in atleast a year or better.
DeathBySnooSnoo

I too would have preferred the B75...but since I wanted a Manix 2 in S30V but don't care for orange or bright blue scales, I never really bothered, this will be one that I will get for that reason.
On the hunt for...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VashHash wrote:Yeah I wouldn't imagine a drastic improvement but still slightly better. I'm sure none of us would really notice. 20cp has a few variances from S90V but from your test they both seem to perform the same. I should get my 20cp today. Just something about gray g10 makes it easier to beat on than cf. I can't say for sure I'll get this manix but its possible. Id rather try out the B75. I've never used bg42. Always wanted to get the bg42 millie but can't seem to find one. Most people are selling the S90V ones instead. I haven't even seen an S30V cf millie for sale in atleast a year or better.
We will have to wait and see what the feedback is. :)
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: I am very curious not about the edge retention, because if there will be a difference it will be no big enough to be seen to us regular users, but if the CTS-BD30P2 will have a longer hair wittling edge retention than the CPM-S30V :confused: . . . . I generally like the idea to have a MANIX2 with a new steel like CTS-BD30P2 for EDC testing side to side along with my current EDC, MANIX2 S30V FFG DLC STAG ARMS :) . . . . :spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

STAK wrote: :spyder: I am very curious not about the edge retention, because if there will be a difference it will be no big enough to be seen to us regular users, but if the CTS-BD30P2 will have a longer hair wittling edge retention than the CPM-S30V :confused: . . . . I generally like the idea to have a MANIX2 with a new steel like CTS-BD30P2 for EDC testing side to side along with my current EDC, MANIX2 S30V FFG DLC STAG ARMS :) . . . . :spyder:
Only time will tell once people get them in hand. :)
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Thank you all for the wisdom and information. Thank you Brian for the steel breakdown and comparison. Mike
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I suspect that the Carpenter's COBALT, the NICKEL, and the TUNGSTEN will up the performance from S30V....
.....much like the cobolt in VG10, making it up the performance from 440C...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I suspect that the Carpenter's COBALT, the NICKEL, and the TUNGSTEN will up the performance from S30V....
.....much like the cobolt in VG10, making it up the performance from 440C...
Yep, I have to agree. It might take a point higher hardness as well, maybe two. That alone would be a bigger improvement without the added elements. Carpenter has been producing good , clean alloys with good grain structures .

I'm wanting to try it now if I can afford it. :)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

Got mine on pre-order at KC.