Manix 2 with CTS BD30P Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: ST.com has one MANIX2 CTS-BD30P left in stock :eek: . . . . Ruuuunn and thank me later :eek: :D :) . . . . :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Brian,

Thanx for the numbers.

When we received the steel shipment, it was mismarked. We didn't know until we began heat treat that it wasn't CTS-75P.

CTS-75P was made especially for Spyderco to test and use. There is a batch being made and we will have some. This composition hasn't been done before in a powder.

sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Interesting news...thanks Sal.

Been cool to need the new Native in that steel.
On the hunt for...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Sal, thanks for having the patience to sort it out and turn a mistake/negative into a positive. Now we will have two new steels to test drive. Both look good.

I'm especially looking for the vim/var powder steel CTS-75. BG42 was and still is one of my favorite stainless steels and I've had to hoard my knives in that steel as no new non custom BG42 knives are coming out , that I can afford anyways.

This should be a near perfect stainless.....for me anyway. The Carpenter CTS-BD30P sounds like a performer as well.

My only complaint is the steels names seem to be getting longer and more difficult for my aging brain to remember. :)

Thanks again.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:Sal, thanks for having the patience to sort it out and turn a mistake/negative into a positive. Now we will have two new steels to test drive. Both look good.

I'm especially looking for the vim/var powder steel CTS-75. BG42 was and still is one of my favorite stainless steels and I've had to hoard my knives in that steel as no new non custom BG42 knives are coming out , that I can afford anyways.

This should be a near perfect stainless.....for me anyway. The Carpenter CTS-BD30P sounds like a performer as well.

My only complaint is the steels names seem to be getting longer and more difficult for my aging brain to remember. :)

Thanks again.

Joe
Joe,

You and me both, I like things simple and short or I might forget what I was talking about half way through it. :D

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:Brian,

Thanx for the numbers.

When we received the steel shipment, it was mismarked. We didn't know until we began heat treat that it wasn't CTS-75P.

CTS-75P was made especially for Spyderco to test and use. There is a batch being made and we will have some. This composition hasn't been done before in a powder.

sal

Hi Sal,

Well, guess you will just have to do a Para 2 in CTS-75P then. :D

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Joe,

We're working on a chart for the sales dept. We can probably post it for your reference. Something that shows which steel by what company is "similar composition" to...

Hi Jim,

Might just have to do that.

The metallurgists at Carpenter have been good to work with. They are exceptional in their knowledge. Rick was great and now we're working with Jim.

sal
Benedict

Post by Benedict »

Benedict here, Just to say I joined today. Don't even know if I'm posting this in the right place, very probably not, but "Hi Everyone"! Big Spydie fan. Ordered the new Squeak yesterday. Anyhoo, glad to be on board. Can anyone tell me how to post and where?

B :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:Thanx Joe,

We're working on a chart for the sales dept. We can probably post it for your reference. Something that shows which steel by what company is "similar composition" to...

Hi Jim,

Might just have to do that.

The metallurgists at Carpenter have been good to work with. They are exceptional in their knowledge. Rick was great and now we're working with Jim.

sal
Hi Sal,

Glad to hear things are going well with Carpenter. :)

Jim
cckw

Post by cckw »

Sal,

We your production schedule is filled in for some time in advance. have you began to replan for the 75? can you shoot from the hip as to when we can hope for it? and still in sprint folder, or thinking of using it in a Mule to make short work of it?
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

KW has this one listed as hollow ground, is it a typo?
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

yeah, typo, they're FFG, Also GPknives.com has them in stock right now.
gus88

Post by gus88 »

thanks michael!!
i just snagged one for a cool price.
mmmmm i love spyderco sprints :cool: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

sal wrote:We're working on a chart for the sales dept. We can probably post it for your reference. Something that shows which steel by what company is "similar composition" to...
Yes, please. More edge-u-cation for the knife knuts! :D
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Lagrangian

Post by Lagrangian »

I e-mailed Knifecenter.com and Knifeworks.com about the full-flat-grind vs hollow-grind. They've both corrected their entries to flat-ground.
gus88

Post by gus88 »

why is no one talking about this???

i got mine on saturday, just in time for a backpacking trip.

its my first manix and i am in love with the design. so beefy, yet acceptably light. comparing it to the para2, i like the ergos much more on the manix in the handle, but wish it had the larger, rounder thumb ramp like on the para.

the bd30p steel worked great on the trip and did not chip or corrode at all.

one final note, this is the best edge i have ever gotten on from a spyderco factory grind. it is absolutely perfectly spaced the entire length of the blade, and is also the shallowest grind ive seen from a factory...what a slicer
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

sal wrote:Brian,

Thanx for the numbers.

sal
Wow. That (finding out after HT begun) must have been...interesting. :(