favorite food prep spyder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I have found that my new Schempp Rock is a fantastic knife for cutting up fresh pineapple.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

There's no doubt in my mind that when the Junior arrives, it will be the ultimate food prep folder. I won't be carrying it, because I live in a *&%$$ sub-3" jurisdiction, but it's got that wide FFG blade in VG-10. Just perfect.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I've used my G10 Endura to cut sandwiches while picnicing because it was the longest blade I had. I plan to start using my Damascas Mule at home just to get some use out of it and to see how the VG10 stands up to my Wustofs.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Texas guy

Pacific Salt

Post by Texas guy »

I enjoy using my Shun Santoku and Henkels chef knives in the kitchen, but while camping my Pacific Salt does food prep because it's length handles most food prep duties and I can hose it off, soak in water, swish in lake or pretty much any cleaning method without corrosion worry. When I go out for steak, I use my serrated, stainles handled, Delica; it makes an excellent steak knife!
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I've been trying out my new Moran slicing up fresh garden cucumbers and potatoes. I've been impressed with it so far and it might end up on semi-permanent kitchen duty.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

FFG endura for me.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Using a nice sharp :spyder: in the kitchen or when visiting is quite enjoyable :) Usually I try to have the Super Blue mule on me somewhere. Despite it's thicker blade it makes a pretty good kitchen utility knife. It also does real well for soft stuff like ripe tomatoes, and handles citrus well also. Really fun to cut cooked meat or butcher a chicken with a very sharp edge :)

For folders, the Chinese Lums, large and small, seem to work well. I do take care to keep whatever I'm cutting out of the innards of the pivot. I'm also not scared to wash them thouroghly afterwards either. VG-10 is good stuff that way.

Might try butchering a chicken with the Rock this weekend, just for giggles :)

Blade thickness in this duty is always a limiting factor for cutting harder fruits and veggies. Interesting to experience how much of a factor that becomes :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I don't use my spyderco folders for prep work but do use the mules and the Aqua salt to slice tomatoes. I used my rock this last weekend to chop blue crabs and corn in half for a crab boil and it worked great.
I use my para2 alot as a steak knife.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Temperance 2.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I was at my mom's over the weekend and was making dinner for father's day. I was trying to chop onions with her horribly cheap and dull kitchen knives. Pulled out my dp ukpk and that chopped onions far far better than anything in her kitchen.
On the hunt for...
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

I use the proper Spyderco for food prep... my Yang
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i just used my santoku to cut up some pineapple and cantaloupe.
(Sprint run please with a better handle Sal) we need a begging smiley :D

Edit: i just did a search on a thread i remembered starting over 5 years ago proclaiming my love of the :spyder: Santoku. Link
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Always in the kitchen MuleTeam S90V... cheese, carott, apple, shalot, steak, chicken, pelling pataoes... etc...
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

tonydahose wrote:i just used my santoku to cut up some pineapple and cantaloupe.
(Sprint run please with a better handle Sal) we need a begging smiley :D
+1
I am in for Japanese made :spyder: Santoku (especially with better handle :) )
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JT

Post by JT »

All black Pacific salt, and ATR.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Chinese Mule Team with seamless cork handles. Short, but oh my! Like Deacon, the Stretch is my favorite folder for food prep away from home.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I put my Para2 in the kitchen and my Shun Chef's knife in my pocket.... then decided to switch back
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I don't typically use folders in the kitchen, but when I do, I always got to the Stretch in ZPD. It takes and keeps a wicked sweet edge, and the high-polish FFG edge cuts effortlessly through anything I throw at it.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

out of folder, (and if i had this), the resilience probs
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Wow. What luck! I bought four of the Pro Culinaire when they came out originally and use them as go-to kitchen knives. For some reason, I missed out on the Yin/Yang pair back in the day.

This thread prompted me to step up my Google-foo and find a set to purchase. Surely there is a shop out there that still had some on the shelf...

To my luck, I found a new Yang online for a modest $50. Now my search for a Yin intensifies! :-)

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185