Return of the Starmate!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I vote, Peel Ply CF and M4 built in Taichiung!!!
+1 on the Taichung CF, preferably like the Chaparral CF! I'd prefer a stainless steel though.
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

I'd be in for one with whatever Spyderco decides on.
Maybe two.

-Zach
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

CPM 154 would be awesome!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

heres the way i see this knife.
The original was made in golden with CPM440V. In order to be an improvement over the initial version we would need something like 20cp, s90v, m390, or even CTS XHP. This would be an INSANE peel ply CF with S90V knife!
Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

sal wrote:We're looking into it now. Same pattern, same grinds. Thinking about dual skeletonized liners, Peel ply G-10. Would like to hear your suggestions. Would probably make it in Seki and use VG-10.

sal
Sal I think that would sound AWESOME. Had no clue what a StarMate was until I saw the picture posted. I seriously want one. Must. Want.
My :spyder:'s- CE FRN Endura 4, PE Tasman Salt, SE Tasman Salt, PE Ambitious, PE Grasshopper, PE FRN Delica 4, PE Squeak, Bob T SLIPIT, Lum Chinese GF Nishijin, Endura 4 Trainer, Native SE Lightweight, Delica 4 Trainer, Poliwog, UKPK PESF Maroon FRN.

Wishlist: Matriarch2, Manix2, Pacific Salt Black, Spyderhawk, Manbug, Chaparral, Yojimbo2, Kiwi Stag, Native 5, Starmate (either an original or a newly released one-whenever it comes out).
buddy54ck

Yes, Yes, Yes

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
You have My Vote,Please, please Make It !
Charlie :D
:spyder: :spyder:
:D
pdptrow

Re: Starmate

Post by pdptrow »

Sounds great!! One question, would ZDP/ ATS-55 laminated have any advantages over pure ZDP?
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

Another good idea for a rendition of the Starmate is maybe having the ability to mount the pocket clip so us lefties (yours truly included) can carry it with ease. Granted if it came out righty only I would still get it as it is an outstanding knife.
My :spyder:'s- CE FRN Endura 4, PE Tasman Salt, SE Tasman Salt, PE Ambitious, PE Grasshopper, PE FRN Delica 4, PE Squeak, Bob T SLIPIT, Lum Chinese GF Nishijin, Endura 4 Trainer, Native SE Lightweight, Delica 4 Trainer, Poliwog, UKPK PESF Maroon FRN.

Wishlist: Matriarch2, Manix2, Pacific Salt Black, Spyderhawk, Manbug, Chaparral, Yojimbo2, Kiwi Stag, Native 5, Starmate (either an original or a newly released one-whenever it comes out).
jossta

Post by jossta »

Tripwire wrote:Another good idea for a rendition of the Starmate is maybe having the ability to mount the pocket clip so us lefties (yours truly included) can carry it with ease. Granted if it came out righty only I would still get it as it is an outstanding knife.
Agree on all counts.

I had one of these and they really are amazing, had to let it go though. I don't have any problem using a $300+ knife, but using a $300 knife that could take months of searching or more to replace is another story. If there were one readily available, would be amazing.
TCRooster

Post by TCRooster »

I'll join the dogpile and just say this: I will buy a Starmate in whatever configuration Sal and the SpyderCrew deem best.

That is all.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

After thinking more on this...my final thought is, as long as its not made in Japan I will be happy. I don't want VG-10 or ZDP for this one.
On the hunt for...
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Please just make this sprint and I will buy one. Peel ply black G-10 and ZDP please.
cktenders

Post by cktenders »

jwrickma24 wrote:heres the way i see this knife.
The original was made in golden with CPM440V. In order to be an improvement over the initial version we would need something like 20cp, s90v, m390, or even CTS XHP. This would be an INSANE peel ply CF with S90V knife!
I agree. I WOULD NOT buy it if it were vg-10 or the like. It needs to be s35vn at the very least. The choices listed above sound perfect for this knive though.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Starmate is another that I've been unable to acquire so far. I would really like a sprint. G-10 and VG-10 would be fine for me.
:bug-red-white
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Well this thread has been going for almost 3 months now. Any update from Sal on this one?

Thank you.

Btw... don't hold up the Tuff for this. :)
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

Would love one. Please just a premium steel please.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

cktenders wrote:I agree. I WOULD NOT buy it if it were vg-10 or the like. It needs to be s35vn at the very least. The choices listed above sound perfect for this knive though.
S35VN (which is almost the same as S30V) isn't really an upgrade from VG-10. I'd classify them in more or less the same league (though I think I like VG-10 just a tiny bit better). Since it is being made in Japan, that severely limits the possible steels. VG-10, ZDP-189, or Aogami Super Blue are the most likely candidates, with other options including: VG-10/Damascus, ATS-34, ATS-55, Cobalt Special, Kobelco R2 or Gingami White (among others).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
cktenders

Post by cktenders »

jabba359 wrote:S35VN (which is almost the same as S30V) isn't really an upgrade from VG-10. I'd classify them in more or less the same league (though I think I like VG-10 just a tiny bit better). Since it is being made in Japan, that severely limits the possible steels. VG-10, ZDP-189, or Aogami Super Blue are the most likely candidates, with other options including: VG-10/Damascus, ATS-34, ATS-55, Cobalt Special, Kobelco R2 or Gingami White (among others).
Then you have never had a blade in s35vn near max hardness. My xm-24 does not run circles around vg10 but there is most certainly a marked difference. The hinderer is at 61 hrc btw. I am also aware the seki made means limited choices. My point was the knife deserves a premium steel.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

cktenders wrote:Then you have never had a blade in s35vn near max hardness.
Nope, just a production level Mule Team.
cktenders wrote:My xm-24 does not run circles around vg10 but there is most certainly a marked difference. The hinderer is at 61 hrc btw.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that S35VN in a custom wasn't superior to VG-10, but that production level heat treated S35VN isn't really a marked upgrade to VG-10. In the context of Spyderco, the heat treat would be very good for a $150 or so (street price) production knife, but not up to the standards that a $1200 custom can offer.
cktenders wrote:I am also aware the seki made means limited choices. My point was the knife deserves a premium steel.
I agree with you that a premium steel is better, but I wouldn't say no if it came in VG-10. The only reason I listed the likely and potential steels is that you suggested upgrades that were all non-Japanese steels, so I didn't know if you were aware of what would be available. Guess you were aware after all! My bad! :o
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Stony

Post by Stony »

Sooo... is this going to happen or what. Carbon fiber and S90V would be the absolute best sprint Spyderco ever did.

I will buy whatever you decide Sal, M390, M4, S30, S60, S90, Vg-10, makes no difference to me theese are one of the best functioning knives Spyderco ever made. As long as it's not pink G10 i'm in :D !!!!!!!!!!!.