Return of the Starmate!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I would definitely buy it in seki vg 10.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Donut wrote:Would a lock like the PPT be an option? I'm not sure if people would be happy with the increased weight of that, though.
DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Well I suggested a GB type thickness for the liner lock...so I'd be good with a nice heavy lock/knife.
I live way too far from water to need another boat anchor. I like the Starmate because it is light and well balanced. Add a bunch of steel in the handle and you destroy that.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
cmassicotte

Post by cmassicotte »

For me, the Starmate is one of the classics; I wouldn't want to see it "reinvented" for a sprint run, so yes, same pattern and grind woluld be essential. I would prefer ZDP to VG-10. Peel ply G-10 sounds great, in the original black, or perhaps a dark earth tone. No "bright" or "light" colors. Please keep the medalion.

I figure Sal knows best how to "get er done", so if he says Seki, why, I'm going to be absolutly thrilled to hear that it will be produced in Seki. ;)

Chuck
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Anything but light gray.
Ando

Post by Ando »

I just registered minutes ago, and was planning to wait until my Stretch II arrived in the mail to post anything. I had to immediately abandoned that plan when I saw this post. If you did a sprint of the Starmate in VG-10 with some darker colored g10 (olive, perhaps some sort of dark blue or orange, and of course black), I would be all over that. I would purchase one of each without hesitation. Same grind, g10 shape, and length and you can put me down for two or three.
navajasound

Post by navajasound »

It is a great looking knife . I hope that it won't be in vg10, s30v or S35vn .
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Just have to throw in my hat for a sprint run too. Perhaps peel-ply or twill CF. Give it the same treatment as the Gayle Bradley and it'll be a winner in my book (e.g. twill CF, polished liners, black chrome clip).
jossta

Post by jossta »

I would love CF, but in a Seki made knife, I'd rather not drive the cost up anymore.
Orlando De Free

Post by Orlando De Free »

I also would really like to have a Starmate. Bob Terzuola is one of my favorite designers.

My preference for a Japan manufacturer would be Moki and in that case any good Japanese steel would be acceptable, but ZDP would be preferred. If it means keeping the cost down by using Taichung Taiwan then CPM-S30V or CPM-M4 would be OK for me.
Orlando

If you didn't get my dirty joke it's because you have no sense of humus - Mom De Free
:spyder: Currently own
Ladybug 3 se, Assist, Ladybug se w/photon, Techno, Rubicon, Manbug ZDP, Dice
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I vote, Peel Ply CF and M4 built in Taichiung!!!
On the hunt for...
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Start making blue G10 with white stars in it, just like the Digicam-G10....
Bring it on!
Tom
osodavis

Post by osodavis »

I love this knife! Don't own one, but I've held a friends & wow! Peel ply g-10(maybe olive drab, or dark gray?) with a nice rough texture & VG-10 steel sounds great to me. I personally would like to see the run of jimping up top extended a bit further up the thump ramp/spydie hole bump, but that's just a nitpick, I loooove this design, the lines are gorgeous. Honestly, I will probably buy 2 no matter what configuration you decide on(please try & keep hem in the $150 or less range though, Sal. There have been a disturbing # of knives well over $200 lately!) Anywas, I'm very excited for this one, & I love the fact that you ask for feedback & suggestions from us fans. Keep up the good work!
osodavis

Post by osodavis »

Wow, i'm a bit surprised to see many ppl unhappy with th idea of this kick-*** knife being produced in VG-10! Is it really a step down from 440c? Idont own any knives in 440c, but I have 2 or 3 blades in VG-10 & I personally like them a lot. Its tough & takes a nice edge, might not hold the edge as well as some others, but I like sharpening my knives, I find it relaxing! That being said, I certainly wouldn't complain if it came in ZDP, though!
osodavis

Post by osodavis »

Arrrgh, sorry for the multiple posts, but I forgot the most important detail! Please please please give it a 4-way clip! If its tip- down only, I will not buy one. Or I will buy one & only use it to stab myself repeadedly in the groin(kidding!) Seriously, though, tip down or 4-way clip!! Pleeeeease, Sal!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Seki made with black G10, VG-10 is good for me. (I think that's what Sal said) For this special knife, I would prefer American made with S90V. Carbon fiber or micarta. Satin/brushed blade finish and a DLC coated version. I'll take two please. :D :D Sorry, imho Taiwan doesn't seem right for this knife. (Though I would still buy it) Hope this can happen.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

osodavis wrote:Wow, i'm a bit surprised to see many ppl unhappy with th idea of this kick-*** knife being produced in VG-10! Is it really a step down from 440c? Idont own any knives in 440c, but I have 2 or 3 blades in VG-10 & I personally like them a lot. Its tough & takes a nice edge, might not hold the edge as well as some others, but I like sharpening my knives, I find it relaxing! That being said, I certainly wouldn't complain if it came in ZDP, though!
VG-10 wouldn't be a step down from 440C, but that isn't what the original was. It was 440V, also known as CPM S60V, and it is in a different league than 440C. Kind of like the difference between NCAA and NFL football.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Blades

Post by Blades »

I always wished I had kept one of the three that passed through my hands. This time it will stay. I'd prefer a different lock, other then that, I'll be happy with a G2 blade steel. I'll keep it sharp.
--Jason--
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

can't wait to have it....i think that with ZDP 189 that thing would be a monstruous slicer.... :cool:
dwong

Post by dwong »

Just update the blade material, no mechanical changes.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

dwong wrote:Just update the blade material, no mechanical changes.
exactly. steel and maybe scale material, but leave it as is.
On the hunt for...