Pair of knives as a "set"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a pair of knives as a set?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:26 am

Yes, fairly expensive is ok.
23%
Yes, priced so most can afford.
36%
Yes, but with considerations like handle material, etc. Please explain.
9%
No, I don't carry two knives or other reason if you want to explain.
32%

Total votes: 47

jackknifeh

Pair of knives as a "set"

Post by jackknifeh »

I like to carry two knives for this reason. Smaller one and larger, tougher one. Now I carry a Delica and Manix2 most of the time. Sometimes a Michael Walker and Manix2.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a "set" of two knives that were VERY similar in appearance. Blade shape/grind may be different based on intended use or the same. That kind of decision would be mainly up to Spyderco because of manufacturing considerations if any. Another important decision would be should the "set" be made with cost not being a factor or should it be made with less expensive materials. Should the set be around $175 or $300 plus? Just examples of cost. I wouldn't want a Byrd set or value set like the Persistance. VG-10 or better steel, etc. for example, but everyone's opinion is requested and appreciated.

Jack
jossta

Post by jossta »

Like a Ti/CF Compression framelock Para 2 and a matching Ti/CF Millie, both in Elmax?

I'll take it.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

This is why they made the DYAD'S. :D
O.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jossta wrote:Like a Ti/CF Compression framelock Para 2 and a matching Ti/CF Millie, both in Elmax?

I'll take it.
That's a good example, or maybe a completely different new model. I think I'll post this idea in the "next 5 year hopes" thread.
O,just,O wrote:This is why they made the DYAD'S. :D
O.
I've looked at them more than once but never bought. That is the idea though.

Jack
jossta

Post by jossta »

Dyad was my first thought, I too have looked but never bought. It's on my list somewhere though...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Delica/Endura is a close example of what I'm thinking but not close enough to each other in design for what I'm thinking. Another example might be the Sages except they are all the same size. If an expensive set were made they could come in a presentation box. However, I'd almost guarantee something like that would be out of my price range.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Chinook 3 and blue stretch is an example of a combo that I like to carry Jack.

This combo gives me a tough knife and a slicer. If I went into the woods, or something else, I'd probably add a fixed blade.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Chinook 3 and blue stretch is an example of a combo that I like to carry Jack.

This combo gives me a tough knife and a slicer. If I went into the woods, or something else, I'd probably add a fixed blade.
Spyderco's variety gives us a multitude of options for multiple knifes to carry for different reasons. That's one thing I really like about this company. I just thought a pair that were identical except for size would be interesting. Maybe a sprint run or something. I don't even know if it would be a wise business decision from Spyderco's point of view.

BTW, I've been using my blue Stretch as a dinner knife (at home). I had to slightly dull the edge that will touch the plate because a hard plate will roll a razor edge making it almost useless even on steak. But a sharp knife without the razor edge will stay sharp enough to cut forever. I'd take it to a resturant but haven't.

Jack
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

kinda like what benchmade does ?
they have regular and mini models like the skirmish and mini skirmish
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Carrying this matched pair or one like it, does appeal to my aesthetic sense.

[img][IMG]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1133 ... dpara2.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

On weekends I carry Big and small Persians, so I could be interesting in the pair. All depends on design and materials.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

rosconey wrote:kinda like what benchmade does ?
they have regular and mini models like the skirmish and mini skirmish
Probably, I didn't find a Skirmish but I did see a Griptillian and Mini-Griptillian. The Mini had a combo edge. That's another possibility of a difference in the two knives (which brings up back to the Dyads). The difference in the Dyads and what I'm thinking is like I carry a Delica and Manix2 at the same time. But sometimes I only carry one (for whatever reason). With the Dyads the blade length will be very close if not the same and the only difference is plain vs serrated and possibly a blunter tip on one.

Jack

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'd absolutely love an original manix and mini manix set. :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'd absolutely love an original manix and mini manix set. :D
I'd love to see a Mini Mini Manix, like 2.5-2.75". Not sure if the handle would work, though.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'd absolutely love an original manix and mini manix set. :D
OH MAN! I just got a bo..., I mean a shiver up my back. That would be a great choice IMO. I'm picturing a Manix with a 2.75" blade beside the 3 3/8" blade. For me all they would need to do is make a tan/M4 FFG with 2 3/4" blade, then I'd have my set. :D That way they would only have to make one new knife and I'd be happy. Ok, Sal, decision made. :rolleyes: Will they be available by Christmas? :D

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Oh I have a set in mind...Original C95 and C101 in CF and S90V :D :D :D
On the hunt for...
jossta

Post by jossta »

I would get a bo...errr shiver if they just release a C95GP2 and have the Manix 2 be the mini. Not exactly a small combo though.

Finding one Original Manix is hard enough :(
cckw

Post by cckw »

Sorry it does nothing for me.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

The best idea I can think would be something like a Military with a little slippy that could swing out from the back of the knife. This way you could always carry a military without scaring the sheeple too much if you just need to open a small bag.

I guess it would be kinda like the Glock tool on the back of the Endura.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

redyps04 wrote:The best idea I can think would be something like a Military with a little slippy that could swing out from the back of the knife. This way you could always carry a military without scaring the sheeple too much if you just need to open a small bag.

I guess it would be kinda like the Glock tool on the back of the Endura.
One reason I liked to carry a small knife and a larger one is to use the small one to not scare the SHeeple but I have evolved now I don't worry about it too much. I'm looking forward to when I have evolved into pulling out the biggest folder I can find just to watch them run in circles screaming with their hands in the air. :D

Jack