LUM Tanto Sprint- Is it out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

See... thats what I figured originally. Until I checked, and saw that the SR-1 on lion steels website goes for 295 Euro. Currently, that equals about 422 dollars. MSRP on the Lion Spy is 499.95$ So, the Spyderco w/ half of the scale material being G10 costs like 15% more than the SR-1 w/ titanium scales all the way around? That seems like a hefty collab tax to me. If I were very enamored with the design... I think I would just opt for the SR-1 itself. As much as I like the spydie hole in my knives, it just ain't worth an extra 78$ to me.

But thats me, if Spyderco did a collab with some company/custom knife maker that I really liked... I'd probably pay a ludicrous amount of money for it. It's just this one that doesn't tickle my fancy, so to speak.

The Lum on the other hand (I feel bad for trying to hijack the thread... sorry bout that), looks crazy cool. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
jossta

Post by jossta »

Well I think Elmax vs. Sleinpner has something to do with it, plus they have to get it here, but I agree it is at the upper range of what people would pay for a production knife. Just like the ZT0777.

I also agree that we got off topic. Sorry for that.

Can't wait to get a Lum in my hands either.
Visual Articulation

Crap i just dropped the cash for a valloton!

Post by Visual Articulation »

How long do i have to save $$$!!! oh lord i hope a while, the ayoob is out soon too foe heavens sakes. :eek:
phaust

Post by phaust »

Jordan wrote:See... thats what I figured originally. Until I checked, and saw that the SR-1 on lion steels website goes for 295 Euro. Currently, that equals about 422 dollars. MSRP on the Lion Spy is 499.95$ So, the Spyderco w/ half of the scale material being G10 costs like 15% more than the SR-1 w/ titanium scales all the way around? That seems like a hefty collab tax to me. If I were very enamored with the design... I think I would just opt for the SR-1 itself. As much as I like the spydie hole in my knives, it just ain't worth an extra 78$ to me.

But thats me, if Spyderco did a collab with some company/custom knife maker that I really liked... I'd probably pay a ludicrous amount of money for it. It's just this one that doesn't tickle my fancy, so to speak.

The Lum on the other hand (I feel bad for trying to hijack the thread... sorry bout that), looks crazy cool. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
Spyderco knives can usually be found for around 60% of MSRP, so to compare retail price to retail price, you should be using 60% * $500 = $300 as the LionSpy's price. With that, the LionSpy is going to cost about $122 less than the SR-1.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

You are correct, but, the price I mentioned was the MSRP of the SR-1, the market price would (presumably) be lower on that as well. If that is a faulty assumption (I'm not all that familiar with Lion Steel, it may very well be), I see plenty of the aluminum handled versions at various websites for around 250$.

Once again, I've paid more for less... probably... I know many of you are fans of the design and the materials (ELMAX seems like kind of a hot new thing for the industry). I don't want anyone to think I find their perception of the knife's value somehow irrational. I just wouldn't pay 500$ (or 300$) for it. Judging by the buzz it has produced, my reticence will not affect the model's success. :D
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Jordan wrote:You are correct, but, the price I mentioned was the MSRP of the SR-1, the market price would (presumably) be lower on that as well. If that is a faulty assumption (I'm not all that familiar with Lion Steel, it may very well be), I see plenty of the aluminum handled versions at various websites for around 250$.
The Ti SR-1 retails for about $400-500, or at least $100 more that the Spyderco version. There are tradeoffs with each. On the one hand, the SR-1 is machined out of one solid slab of Ti, whereas the Spyderco version is Ti/G-10. On the other hand, the Sleipner steel on the SR-1 is similar to D2, which is a decent step down from the Elmax the Spyderco version will have. So in the end, is it worth $100 less to get a better steel but lesser handle? That depends on the personal preference of the customer. I'll take the G-10 and Elmax for $100 less, but that's just me. While I would like to get one of these, I may have to pass unless work picks up significantly in the next few months.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Ah, so no retail break off the company pricing from Lion steel. I suppose that makes more sense. Learn something new everyday :) .

But that Lum sprint hey, pretty cool right? :D

:p :p
- Theodore Roosevelt

angusW

Post by angusW »

Yup, it is real cool. Love this type of Tanto. Too bad it can't be configured for the left hand.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
jossta

Post by jossta »

yeah I might drill the other side for the clip, since I'm a lefty, but I will use it either way.

sal wrote:They should begin shippig in the next few weeks.

sal
MCM

Post by MCM »

Am in for both.
But "light-gray G-10" is my only complaint.
Darker is better for me. CF is OK though.....
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
jossta

Post by jossta »

Yeah, the Paras get dirty really easily. Might dye mine or get some custom scales. Might be a good one to do in lscf.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The gray isn't my favorite G-10 color either, but I do have an original black G-10 Lum Tanto folder. So the gray will be a good change.
:bug-red-white
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

Got my tanto lum today and I am in love!!!!!
jossta

Post by jossta »

pics? possibly some with it in hand, please?
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

SpydieZ wrote:Got my tanto lum today and I am in love!!!!!
Yes pics please and if you dont mind sharing where you got it from, that would be great too, i haven't found any one online listing them yet and I really want to get one of these.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Spydietalk.com / spydiestore.com has the Tanto & Ayoob available for pre-order. They are both discounted for the next couple of days. So if you want one, I'd get an order in now.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Lum seems to be gone from pre-order...
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Yes the Lum Tanto's went quick. Masaad Ayoob is sill around. Surprisingly not a ton of action. I thought they would go quicker. Is there much interest in it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
jossta

Post by jossta »

Half the people I hear say they can't wait, other half say they wish it came in FFG or SE. Personally, based on it's intended use, seems like the perfect grind, just not something I NEED. In a perfect world, I would have all Spydies though...
the swamp fox

Post by the swamp fox »

Can't wait. Just ordered one from Kristi through the LEO program. This will be carried on duty. I had to pre-order as mine will come from the second shipment. the first has been shipped and they're awaiting the second shipment!