A Super Spyder lost in the shuffle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

A Super Spyder lost in the shuffle

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco has brought us some of the most sleek and elegant production knife designs on the planet. And perhaps many of you might disagree with what I'm about to say. But I still think that Spyderco's best full size folder they ever made truly got lost in the shuffle in the late 90's/early 2000's was the C-54 big Calypso model.

The C-54 model was the inspiration that spurred the popularity of the hall of fame Spyder the Caly Jr which had many variants and was the first Spyder ever to have ZDP-189 blade steel.

If there is ever one dream/sprint run of Spyders I would like to see would be the C-54 big Calypso in one of the Super Steels like ZDP or anything else in that league.

To me the extra blade length it has over the Caly Jr. just makes it a complete all purpose folder in every sense. I guess I'm sentimental about some of the Spyder Golden Oldies but I've yet to see a more completely perfect designed blade than the original C-54. It was released during what I personally call the "Golden Era Of Spyders" (1998-2003).

Anyone agree?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've been wanting a full sized Calypso ever since I've seen it, but they are so valuable, they sell for the $300 range now.

I think the 3.5 is a pretty nice substitute and sells for a very reasonable price. Super blue sounds like it is going to happen on the 3.5. I haven't heard any other variations, but I would like to see some more.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

The C-54: A true hidden classic

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:I've been wanting a full sized Calypso ever since I've seen it, but they are so valuable, they sell for the $300 range now.

I think the 3.5 is a pretty nice substitute and sells for a very reasonable price. Super blue sounds like it is going to happen on the 3.5. I haven't heard any other variations, but I would like to see some more.
Which is precisely a good reason this masterpiece design should have at least a sprint run comeback. Sometimes they get it right the first time and this is one of those times.

I truly can't find any design fault with the C-54 big Calypso. The knife literally got lost in the shuffle during the late 90's when all the old stalwarts were making the main headlines and dealers were only stocking what sold the most. But I think most folks now realize that they past up a true gem of a blade. It simply must come back!!!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I asked Sal about that in a thread on here while you were on hiatus. I had heard he originally designed the Calypso for himself. I think you've seen the Michael Janich Endura with a 3.5" blade length to agree with Colorado law and the current version of the Caly with a 3.5" blade length. Sal confirmed that when he designed the Calypso the law in Colorado was for a 4" blade and is now currently 3.5". Seems like a good reason.

*edit* It is at the bottom of this page.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I used to have matching set of C54 Calypso. Nice knives, but I certainly love Caly3.5 much more. Caly3.5 carried tip down, which I prefer. Has bigger spyderhole, no swedge blade and liners. No worped blades either. Both of my Calypsos had some worpage, much more noticeable on PE.
Caly3.5 is near perfect for me. I would love to have wood or bone as a handle material, but this is dreams :rolleyes: . There were talk about Cocobolo run, but it looks like it is long forgotten.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:I asked Sal about that in a thread on here while you were on hiatus. I had heard he originally designed the Calypso for himself. I think you've seen the Michael Janich Endura with a 3.5" blade length to agree with Colorado law and the current version of the Caly with a 3.5" blade length. Sal confirmed that when he designed the Calypso the law in Colorado was for a 4" blade and is now currently 3.5". Seems like a good reason.

*edit* It is at the bottom of this page.
Yeah it seems like I heard that at one time and forgot about it. We still have a 4 inch limit for folders here in Missouri. So that wouldn't be a problem with me at all. I even carry one of my Spyderhawks occasionally with no fanfare what so ever.

I'm simply looking at the C-54 for 2 reasons>> I want a premium folder that could also be an ultimate self defense knife if the occasion should arise. And I just love Sal & Eric Glessers designs and especially Sal's. The Temperance 1 and Temperance 2 fixed blades are just knives I can't do without. His designs are so pragmatic and work oriented; not to mention they look sleek and splendid.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Not all of us passed them up. ;)

I love the unlined Micarta, but I think they had a lot of problems with clip screws pulling out. There were also production problems which lead to quite a few warped blades.

I'd love to see a sprint in ZDP-189, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Odds are, Sal would want to add a liner to anchor the clip screws, which in my opinion would ruin the knife.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Nice group you have there Yab.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I love the original calypso. I wish I could find one in pe for a decent price. Its a beautiful knife. I would like a sprint as well. Any steel would do.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The original PE Calypso C54 is my holy grail...and one day I WILL own one...or a new issue...whatever I can achieve...
...just hope that the Hole is a tad bigger...
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

JD Spydo wrote: His designs are so pragmatic and work oriented; not to mention they look sleek and splendid.
Bingo!

.... Of course yes! C54's & Caly Jrs wrapped in Micarta have always called to me and to top it off, back then they were both available in Spyderege too. I've always been resigned to the fact that we'll never see ever of them again, however Sal's recent comment about a proposed Micarta Caly Jr sure had me jumping for joy. ;)

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Give the Police III a look. Handle shape is a bit different, blade a tad longer, but it's close to the Calypso and at least some users will consider features like the 4 way clip option, deeper choil, and textured G-10 as improvements. That said, definitely wouldn't mind seeing a re-run of the C54. What would be really cool, IMHO, would be a matched set. A C52 and a C54 in, say, brown canvas micarta.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

It paved the way for the super success of the Caly Jr.

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:Give the Police III a look. Handle shape is a bit different, blade a tad longer, but it's close to the Calypso and at least some users will consider features like the 4 way clip option, deeper choil, and textured G-10 as improvements. That said, definitely wouldn't mind seeing a re-run of the C54. What would be really cool, IMHO, would be a matched set. A C52 and a C54 in, say, brown canvas micarta.
I do like the idea of a gift set of Senior and Junior in Matching Micarta :cool:

There was a reason that the Caly Jr was so popular during it's long tenure. The only reason IMO that the big Calypso C-54 didn't gain the superstardom it deserved was the bad timing of it's release. During what I call the Golden Era Of Spyders ( 1998 - 2003) there were just so many super models during that time it was just too late to the dance so to speak.

At least the Massad Ayoob model got somewhat of a chance but it also may have been slightly ahead of it's time to hit the ground running in the world of marketing. I do believe that the C-54 was the very first full sized Spyder folder to grace a VG-10 blade. It was either the C-54 or the second run of the JD Smith model. I do believe that VG-10 was the only steel the C-54 was made in.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yes JD, it was the first Spyderco folder to use VG-10 and the Moran FB was the first Spyderco to use it. Hard to say why the Calypso family was a flop, but none of them really lasted long. Wouldn't be overly surprised if there are more Sprint Run FRN Calypso Jrs out there than original black FRN ones.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Sal did indeed once tell me that he made the C54 Big Caly for himself, when I was singing it's praises.....and yes it should be praised...it's one of Sal best designs....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Deacon wrote:Give the Police III a look. Handle shape is a bit different, blade a tad longer, but it's close to the Calypso and at least some users will consider features like the 4 way clip option, deeper choil, and textured G-10 as improvements. That said, definitely wouldn't mind seeing a re-run of the C54. What would be really cool, IMHO, would be a matched set. A C52 and a C54 in, say, brown canvas micarta.
The problem with the Police III is the aforementioned 4" legal limit on blade length. The P3's blade is even longer than the Police I and II, and none of them can be legally carried without modification in places with that 4" limit.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Post by 224477 »

I would be in. :)

Could the micarta by possibly replaced by silver twill CF like on the newest Centofante, thats gonna hit the streets soon? I always liked the CF but there is a lot of black CF out there.

I dont want grey, blue, or burgundy.

I consider this knife as a full size suit knife. Not sure how pollished G10 would look, but I guess very simillar to micarta.
Ambi clip would be great addition, I can live with tip down. But the handle material is more important for me to how many clip positions it should have.

Deac is right, the P3 is the essence of Calypso, with a couple of major improvements, thanks God I live in a country where blade size doesnt matter (yet).

Thats why I love them both, C54 and C07GP3..

And, last not least, could the same maker by used as for the 1998 runs?
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Donut

Post by Donut »

So the sprint should have titanium scales? That sounds a little expensive.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JD Spydo

Micarta or G-10 is fine for me

Post by JD Spydo »

No I don't think the C-54 was a blade meant for Titanium scales. That knife is superb with Micarta or G-10. When I do get my hands on another C-54 I do plan on using it. Actually the more I think about a C-54 for hard use a G-10 handle really appeals to me.

Also it wouldn't surprise me to discover that the C-54 might have been the inspiration for the fixed blade Temperance models. Both blade geometries are very versatile.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I'd love to have a new C54 Calypso from :spyder: co. Either a sprint run or maybe a "2" SKU to get some partial liners added. :eek: :D Just make sure it stays sleek, thin, and light like the original.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **