Hello everyone! :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pat994

Hello everyone! :)

Post by Pat994 »

Hey guys! I'm new to the club since yesterday night and today I received my first Spyderco blade.....it's a spyderco Navaja !!! (seems like I like to start strong!) I ordered another one wich is a Spydie Persistence and should be here by friday.....since the Navaja is a little big for EDC... :rolleyes:

Anyways guys, I'm here to learn from such gurus like you that knows about this brand and maybe tricks to re-sharpen the blades maybe?

Keeping in mind that I already own a Navaja and soon a Persistence, wich model should be next? Any advices? I'm looking for a blade not more that 3.75 inches long :p and wich would be discreet for EDC... ;)

Thank you guys!!!

- Pat
jossta

Post by jossta »

Favorite knives in the current lineup that are under 3.75" are the Bradley and Paramilitary 2. Any of the Manix 2s are good as well.

Oh, and welcome :) .
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Welcome aboard! My favorites would be any of the following: Gayle Bradley, any Para2, any Manix2, and a Stretch in ZPD-189. The list goes on from there, but that's a good starting point. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Oh, and a Sharp-Maker is a 'must have.'
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Welcome to the forum!
All my :spyder: s (see sig line) fall under 3.75 inches and I would recommend any of them. I also have a Native coming in the next few days which I'm sure I will also like. It hard to go wron with all the choices there are!
Spyder Count: 7
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

para 2 all the way
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

jossta wrote:Favorite knives in the current lineup that are under 3.75" are the Bradley and Paramilitary 2. Any of the Manix 2s are good as well.

Oh, and welcome :) .
+1

These three would be the first I would recommend. The manix 2 is my Fav :spyder: .

Welcome aboard, I want a Navaja so bad haha.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Shsssssss.
I am your biggest fan...
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Welcome Pat, choosing a 'next :spyder: ' is not that easy.
First there is (for me it is) the 'how much can I spend'-issue.
After that lots of problematica follow. You solved one for yourself already; not longer 3.75 inches period However that still includes a lot Spydies ;)

Let's continue with a few questions:
-what bladform do you prefer?
-what lock-type do you want?
-what steeltype do you wanna check out now?
-FRN, G10, CF or maybe Ti?

IMHO I can recommend a few very fine under 3.75'' :spyder: :spyder: like indeed the mentioned Gayle Bradley (exotic steel + FAT linerlock + custom collaboration). This is one of my most favorite ever!
There is one that (again IMHO) embodies the whole philosophy of the Spyderco-company and that is the Caly 3 or the Caly 3.5
These two knives are designed by Sal Glesser and somehow I can not explain why I keep being attracted to these. As we speak I am holding a little Temp (disco'd, highly sought :spyder :) that came in the mail yesterday but in the background there always is my Caly. The form, the steel, the design, the grind, the ergo's, the carrying-aspects etc. For me this is a Spyderco-knife that has it ALL. Therefore I can highly recommend you one!

Let us know what's it gonna be!

Cheers, Tomas
Tom
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the board, very interesting first choice!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pat994

Post by Pat994 »

I know!!! that knife appealed me quite strong !!!! love the blade on it....I owned several brands of folders, Benchmades, SOGs, CRKT, Gerber, Leatherman.....but the quality on the Spyderco that I own eclipses all of them IMHO !!!! Strong lockup, blade shape is voodoo-esque !!! gotta love it....
dmon

Post by dmon »

Welcome aboard Pat!
It's hard to add anything to great suggestions provided by all good people above. Most likely you will have them all. :) Just make sure that your sharpening skills are ready. I was always trying to buy a knife that I can handle in terms of sharpening and maintenance. Or the one I can afford to screw up while I practice. :)
Good luck.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

First question on the next knife is do you use knives or want to collect them? I'm a user and will tell you what I like since I don't know anything about your needs. I like a smaller knife and a larger knife for harder tasks. I have two smaller knifes I like, Delica 4 FFG and the Michael Walker (hard to get now). The Michael Walker has a 2.5" blade and has carbon fiber scales which make it nice for dressier wear. It fits in a jeans pocket as well and is in mine quite a bit. :) I'd get the Sage 1 now to replace the MW. I also have two Manix2 knives which have proven to be very durable for heavier tasks. I carry both at the same time or just one and all my cutting needs are met.

Here is a good video from Spydeco of what knife to choose (for using). It's pretty interesting even if you don't need it anymore.

http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/video.php

If you are new to sharpening I'd stay away from any knife with a ZDP-189 steel blade. I had a terrible time getting used to it and I was already a pretty good sharpener. That's because the steel is so hard and my skills weren't as good at the time. Now I have no problem with it because of practice. But if you want one get it, your sharpening skills will improve if you are inexperienced now. You definately need a good sharpening system. That should be gotten as soon as possible. I think you should wait on a knife you want and get the sharpener first. I don't care what knife I own, if it is dull it is a useless piece of junk (until it is sharp again :D ). If you think you are going to get quality sharpening stuff and spend less than $50 you are dreaming (unless you get lucky). So a Sharpmaker should be one of your next things to get. There are others at much higher prices but I believe the Sharpmaker is a great system.

Jack
jossta

Post by jossta »

toomzz wrote:As we speak I am holding a little Temp (disco'd, highly sought :spyder :) that came in the mail yesterday
Mine is in the mail as we speak! Just have to see how much I like the grip as a lefty....
avoidspam

Post by avoidspam »

Welcome!

Lots of good advice, my only advice would be 'find a good accountant'. Now that you've started you'll almost certainly end up purchasing several of the :spyder: 's mentioned.

Oh, if you can find a dealer locally to try some of your choices in hand you may save a bit of money, for a little while....! :)