First post-para2 and compression lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
troutfisher13111

First post-para2 and compression lock

Post by troutfisher13111 »

I recently purchased a para2 to carry as an edc. This is my all time favorite folder by far, I look for reasons to use it. My only complaint was the shiny pocket clip that I felt exposed too much of the knife in my pocket, so I replaced it with a titanium low rider from Steve Rice.

My concern is the longevity of the compression lock. When pressed I hear a light grinding noise from the lock sliding across the pin and blade. Do these kind of locks wear out easily? Seems it would only take so much use before becoming loose.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Congrats on your purchase! The para2 line are my favorite spydies as well (I have 4). Nothing to worry about with the comp lock, it's one of the strongest out there. Sometimes you'll hear that grinding on a liner or frame or com lock, but it's just steel on steel breaking in. The noise will go away eventually, and you'll be left with a buttery smooth lock. No need to worry about it loosening any time soon! Enjoy that knife!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... +lock+wear
did a quick search you had me curious. pretty much concurs with what Pmb said. No worries
By the way Trout welcome to the forum .
ejb

Post by ejb »

I just received my first PM 2 in the mail yesterday and have to concur already that it's a great knife. Of course, I did a ton of research before purchasing. It's my second Spyderco after a Delica that I bought a few years back and it just moved up to my #1 EDC over a Kershaw Scallion that I have been carrying for about a year. Can't wait to put this knife through it's rounds and test it out through everday use in the mountains and in the urban jungle.
ejb

Post by ejb »

I should also mention that I didn't like the shiny clips either so I ordered the all black model. My Kershaw was all black too and the finish seemed to hold up. Will see how it holds on the PM.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I swapped the black clips from my colored Delicas onto my Para 2s. I think the shiny clips look better on the colored Delicas anyway, and the black clips look much better on the PM2. I don't like blingy clips on my EDC knives.

The Para2 is probably my favorite EDC folder of all time.
:bug-red-white
troutfisher13111

Thanks everyone.

I didn't mind the looks of the shiny clip, i just didn't like how obvious the knife was in my pocket.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Welcome aboard...I have the shiny clip on my Para2 and I love it...but then again I don't really care how obvious it is that its in my pocket either....let us know how it does for you!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
troutfisher13111

This knife is too awesome! My only complaint is there is a little side to side blade movement when the knife is open. Is there a quick fix?
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

You can try tightening the pivot screws (both sides) and the stop pin screws (both sides) and playing around with adjusting the tightness of those screws.

One person said they got rid of the lateral or horizontal blade play by using two torx drivers and tightening both sides of the pivot screws at the same time really hard.

But tightening the pivot and stop pin screws sometimes can result in making things so tight that the blade doesn't open/close as freely as it is supposed to. This is what happened to my Para 2's when I tried to make those screws really tight in an attempt to eliminate lateral blade play. I decided I'd rather have a little lateral blade play (that I don't even notice while actually using the knife to cut with), than have the blade not move really freely when opening and closing the knife, which to me is part of the fun of the new pivot bushing system and the compression lock.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).