Success in very sharp sharpening!!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Yes it can troutfisher, cheap at the Spyderco store. Mine disapeared initially, so I bought another.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Ankerson wrote:I still have that Sharp Marker Video on VHS Tape.. :eek:
Well, I still have a VHS player. :eek: :eek: However, it is in a combo player with a DVD player and I can copy the VHS to DVD or reverse. I've been able to save a lot of my VHS stuff with this thing.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dbcad wrote:Even though I've had this one very succesful day with multiple knives I still recognize that in the realm of sharpening I am still a novice of novices. All I can do is continue to read, learn and practice getting the positively silly :eek: edges if I want them until I get extremely comfortable doing it. The muscle memory will continue to reinforce over time.......

More important is the reading and understanding of what I was doing, purchasing an inexpensive loupe to be able to see what I was doing (sharpie trick is great :D ), and a vow to stop trying anytime I started feeling frustrated. The tips, knowledge, and good natured encouragement here on the forum helped immensely :) As Chuck put it, the biggest factor in how sharp an edge gets are the skills of the the sharpener.
cr123 wrote:cool beans with the sharpening. the SM system really opened my eyes to sharpening stuff and i find myself using the knives more because I maintain the edges myself.

The more i sharpen stuff, the more patience i get and the results get incrementally better.
sal wrote:Congrats Charlie.

Sharpening edges is skill that can be thought of as an art form. Green belt, brown belt, etc. Like many skills, there is no subsitute for experience and focus. I always recommend a 10X to 12X Loupe that is used often (using a loupe is also a skill) to see the edge, scratch patterns and directions, grits, etc.

When I made the video for the Sharpmaker, part of the purpose was to help edge-u-cate our customers in understanding the creation of an edge.

sal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We are all teachers and we are all students.
I think learning something that involves skill is more like a flight of stairs than a wheelchair ramp. On a wheelchair ramp you would consistantly get better and constantly see improvement. For me my improvement is more like a flight of stairs. I seem to stay on one skill "step" for a while then all of a sudden I'll jump to the next skill level "step". It's like practice is getting me nowhere then suddenly 3 weeks of practice kicks in and the results become obvious. If anyone has noticed anything like this remember it and use it as a reminder to not give up because you may only be 5 minutes away from jumping to the next "step" in skill level.

Jack