To dye or not to dye?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Dyeing scales on a para 2 sprint?

Leave it alone
58%
Darker grey
11%
Med-dark blue
17%
Other color
13%

Total votes: 53

StangBang

Post by StangBang »

The Deacon wrote: Aside from the dye, the other thing that might work is CeraKote or DuraCoat. There's a member here, jforbush, who does both.
I'm getting one and intend on using it, I have given the duracoat/cerakote some thought as well.

IMO if your getting it to use, then make it yours and dye it if you so choose. If your going to put it away and just admire it I would leave it the grey color.

Either way congrats on scoring one :cool:
Vic
dmon

Post by dmon »

The Deacon wrote:Spyderco does not sell scales, so that's not a viable option. Aside from the dye, the other thing that might work is CeraKote or DuraCoat. There's a member here, jforbush, who does both.
Sorry, I didn't know that.
Well, I would stay with original then. Or switch scales with another PM2 that will see less carry/usage time. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

You could also have tuffthumz make you some scales as well. He does some great work.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
DrSpeed

Post by DrSpeed »

It's your knife, so do as you please. I'd leave it alone because I'd want to have the "original" colour as it was designed. But that's just me.
Endura VG-10 Delica ZDP-189 Paramilitary all black Military CPM S30V camo Perrin Street Bowie Tenacious Kiwi 3 Ladybug serrated Byrd Cara Cara G10 Byrd Cara Cara Rescue Byrd Meadowlark Caly 3.5 UKPK Pacific Salt UKPK Rescue
jimnolimit

Post by jimnolimit »

JNewell wrote:Hot. I've worked with a lot of G10, micarta, etc. This gray G10 has (based on examination under the Mk1 Eyeball ;) ) more epoxy content than a lot of other G10 I've worked with.

Give it a try with the powdered dye. It's possible that there's some difference in how it penetrates. If you do, and if it works, let us know.

I should also point out that there are posts here reporting success with black dye, so maybe different RIT dyes have different chemical compositions that penetrate differently.
thanks for the info. im still up in the air about dyeing it because of the uncertainty of the outcome, i have to do more research. the knife is a user and if i wanted black i could always just swap the scales from my regular model.

p.s. my pre-order came through so i have another en route.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Good for you. Now you can start experimenting. :)

Mine still hasn't come through... :(
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
dmon

Post by dmon »

Mine has arrived today! I will stay with my choice in poll, which is 'leave it alone'. If it's just color preference or other aesthetic driven decision, then I would say go for it. It's your knife, it came to stay and serve, and you have to enjoy your knife without any second thoughts. But if decision is driven by making grim less noticeable then 1) making it less visible doesn't reduce its amount; 2) unstable dye may discourage you from cleaning as often as you may want to :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jimnolimit wrote:thanks for the info. im still up in the air about dyeing it because of the uncertainty of the outcome, i have to do more research. the knife is a user and if i wanted black i could always just swap the scales from my regular model.

p.s. my pre-order came through so i have another en route.
If you aren't trying to keep it for collector value ;) I don't think you need to worry a lot. If it doesn't dye at all (my results), you have only wasted the clean-up, prep and dye time. If it does dye, great. I didn't really like (still don't) the gray, so I thought anything would be better, though I haven't tried black, which other posts suggest might work. One other footnote - if the dye doesn't penetrate deeply, you may have to periodically refresh the dye to re-color wear (like on the edges of the scales) - if that matters. Again, if it is a user knife, that shouldn't matter a lot.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I was originally concerned about the light color of the gray G10 getting all grimy and showing dirt, but I found since using mine for the last several weeks that 1) it doesn't get as dirty as quickly as I expected and 2) when it does get dirty, it's super easy to clean the scales up so they look brand new again, and 3) the light gray G10 (and even the shiny clip) have grown on me and now I really like the original color and wouldn't think of changing it.

If I was going to change it, I would probably just try to swap the scales with one of my other Para 2's.

Finally, it's an awesome knife and my favorite Spyderco of all. I hope they make a lot of them so everyone can get one without having to over pay too much.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'm not sure why - maybe because the epoxy content seems to be higher than on many other G10 pieces I've used - but I agree, this light gray seems to be very dirt resistant and cleans up very, very easily. :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JNewell wrote:I'm not sure why - maybe because the epoxy content seems to be higher than on many other G10 pieces I've used - but I agree, this light gray seems to be very dirt resistant and cleans up very, very easily. :spyder:
Yep, I was planning on dyeing my grey para too but as you say it seems to be quite a lot more dirt resistant than the say, orange millie. It just seems to get a little dirty and stay that way. Again, as you say, it cleans up very easily. So it's staying gray at the moment.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I thought of tuffthumbz as well. He may even have his old scales from this project:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... green+para
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
spydusse

Post by spydusse »

My g10 got dirty fast and does not clean