techno???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

techno???

Post by casey1 »

i love the design of the techno! The only thing i'd maybe change about the product is a steel upgrade... it's definitely gonna be something i wanna buy. but i have one HUGE problem with the knife... the name! When i think of Techno, i think of straight lines and a complex design with a complex lock, a sleek look, and everything shiny as all get out... not a bare-bones knife with a bead blasted finish and a curvy, functional design. In a way, this knife models the sebenza, and the sebenza is named that for a reason! Not that it's a big deal, but is there any reason this thing is called the techno? It's cool to have a knife called the Sage because there are many reasons it's called that. The wise choice, the blade length, the quality, and the price are all reasons... is there anything like that with the techno?

Don't get me wrong here. I love this company as much as the next guy on the forum and i'm dying to get my hands on some of Spyderco's Ti. But I know this company hears it's customers and I just think the name doesn't make any sense at all... and I guess if I named it i'd call it the Spyderco Task or something like that... i'm not really good at naming things but I don't think the Techno makes any sense

Thanks for reading.

Forgive me for my bluntness. Didn't mean to be cutting.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. As for them changing the name of a model because it creates negative mental images for one person, or a handful of people, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. They put out a model called the Dodo. It was pointed out that Manix brought to mind a brand of condom. There are those who dislike the names Police and Military and I don't think any name Spyderco ever chose generated more controversy over negative images than ParaMilitary. Heck. personally, I hate the taste of sage. Doesn't stop me from wanting a Sage IV any more than the mental imagery of annoying electronic music would stop me from wanting it if Spyderco had chosen to call it the Techno. Come to think of it, they might be on an annoying noise names kick, given they just launched the Squeak.

I suspect that, if you really like the knife, you'll buy it, throw the box away, and call it whatever you wish.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

You're probably just not adequately familiar with hard, minimalist techno. Perhaps you've only experienced the "sleek," flashy European variety of techno, and need to expose yourself more to the hard, brutal, banging stuff that truly fits the knife.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

It's a collaboration with a custom maker of a knife which I presume already carried the name, "Techno" before Spyderco saw it. So you can share the credit / blame on this one.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

;) :spyder: :rolleyes:
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

howes has it up for preorder as well as the tuff
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Just to play the annoying debater :devilsmiley:...

"Techno" can also be linked to "Technology". The first knife made from bone or rock could have been called the "Techno" because it was an evolution of cutting tools.

The first wheels weren't by definition "wheels". In fact, modern wheels are really just the structural support of tires which do the work of physics.

Frankly I'm just glad Spyderco isn't all about aggressive names. I'd rather tell someone I have a Spyderco Techno than a Spyderco Demon Slayer. The product names aren't usually the most accurate but at least they don't get peoples minds going in the wrong direction.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

jwrickma24 wrote:howes has it up for preorder as well as the tuff
Sal said the Tuff might be out by the end of the year. It seems a little early for a preorder.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Blerv wrote:I'd rather tell someone I have a Spyderco Techno than a Spyderco Demon Slayer. The product names aren't usually the most accurate but at least they don't get peoples minds going in the wrong direction.
That's why I'm glad Spyderco doesn't have any Klingon-style blades in its catalog.

http://boingboing.net/2008/08/24/klingo ... cares.html

TedP
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Sequimite wrote:Sal said the Tuff might be out by the end of the year. It seems a little early for a preorder.
think the traslucent blue manix 2.... has been out for preorder for how long? and still isnt here. still put my name on the list
Teddy Thompson

Post by Teddy Thompson »

jwrickma24 wrote:think the traslucent blue manix 2.... has been out for preorder for how long? and still isnt here. still put my name on the list
Which probably just means dealers were given an ETA for the Manix Lightweight, and then production was delayed.
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
spyderfan123

Post by spyderfan123 »

it's called techno beacuse techno is badass just like the knife just compare it with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeEQqo1D9wc

just sayin..
ccf

Post by ccf »

Maybe I'm just missing it, but I've looked everywhere for specs on the Techno & can't find them. It looks like a fairly small knife.

Could someone post the specs for me please?
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

Ok I've found out that the production version Techno is going to have the CTS-XHP steel, with a wire clip and a blue spacer(g10 maybe?). The thread is on BladeForums... but I'm not sure how to link it properly...
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

Oh yea, and I believe it is going to be made in Taiwan.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I too have issues with the name but i know nothing about the knife.
Every time i see the Techno mentioned i envision a crazy looking knife. But when it comes out and i finally get to see it, i will probably get one.
Dr Heelhook

Post by Dr Heelhook »

They should have named it "The Metal" instead :D .
Just got: Green FFG Endura
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

I'm in for one or two in the cts-xhp! Great looking blade even though I don't care for small blades this one looks great!
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Eh just call it your BMF. If you need to know what BMF is just watch Pulp Fiction. :D :cool:

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

DMgangl wrote:Eh just call it your BMF. If you need to know what BMF is just watch Pulp Fiction. :D :cool:

DM
I totally agree. I want my BMF :D
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]