delica vs tenacious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Lmao ! He is a silver tongue devil isn't he but I like him :D
Ned

Post by Ned »

bdblue wrote:I have both and I much prefer the Tenacious. I like G10 and liner locks better, I like the size of the Tenacious better, to me it looks like a much more expensive knife, and it certainly operates much more smoothly than my Delica. Normally injection-molded handles would be found on less expensive knives. I almost completely refuse to buy lockback knives, much preferring one-hand operation. I bought my Delica to carry in my pocket as a second knife, it is smaller than what I prefer to carry as a primary folder.

I think there is a little bit of wow factor in these-
You know, I love my Delicas but this showcases what nice knives these are for the money. That is really a nice picture. Makes me kind of want them now...Hmmmm.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

Look at this baby

other with custom scales:
jade ghost

moonglow
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

^^ Nice !!!!!
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Cool!

BronislovasLTU, I met a lady from Lithuania.
I asked her American husband how to pronounce her name and he replied that he didn't know.

That puzzles me to this day...... :confused:
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

GoodEyeSniper wrote:Love the random, misplaced xenophobia against Chinese products....

Delica is Japanese, tenacious is Chinese, big deal.

Posted from your Chinese phone/computer, wearing your Chinese sneakers and pants, feet away from your Chinese television. Yeah, put that foot down on those evil Chinese knives.
Sorry I ruffled your feathers, Im also sorry that you have to ask a groups opinion on something to make up your own mind. Btw we are talking about a knife you asked about and not tvs, computers & shoes, again sorry you didnt like my answer, welcome to a public forum.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Your responses were derogatory and offensive I'm sure to some tenacious owners and other Spyderco owners which might have models made in China. Personally I was not offended and find you very amusing actually and welcome you to the public forum . There's always a few in the bunch and you kind sir are sitting at the top of pile ;)
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

TheFactor wrote:Your responses were derogatory and offensive I'm sure to some tenacious owners and other Spyderco owners which might have models made in China. Personally I was not offended and find you very amusing actually and welcome you to the public forum . There's always a few in the bunch and you kind sir are sitting at the top of pile ;)
heres a tissue ....
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

flash900 wrote:Cool!

BronislovasLTU, I met a lady from Lithuania.
I asked her American husband how to pronounce her name and he replied that he didn't know.

That puzzles me to this day...... :confused:
Yes, our names are sometimes difficult to tell. My name Robertas (or short version Robert). :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:My opinion is the Tenacious. Sure the steel isn't as good, but I like the ergos better. And it's cheaper. So for a "beater" knife, something that I will use and not be bothered if it gets damaged, or a knife to lend to a friend etc, I'll take the Tenacious.
Basically this. If the Delica had a Harpy handle it would be better than 90% of the knives on the market for value and EDC. That handle just doesn't do it for me. If they made the Tenacious in Japan with VG10 I think there would be some serious sales issues with the Delica.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

RIOT wrote:heres a tissue ....
Only if it's made in China :D ....
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

Delica hands down for me. Already miss it and the endura I sold not too long ago. My co worker owns both a tenacious and an ambitious and I wasnt thrilled by the ergos or fit with either. they felt clunky in hand and both had side to side blade play.
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

My Tenacious is rock solid and no play . Feels great in the hand to .
Sounds like you had a bad one I think I would of sold it to if you couldn't adjust the play out of it .
Action is very smooth also flicks open with index finger or thumb without even snapping your wrist .
Great bang for the buck !
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Delica has the Ten beat on quality and steel (IMHO), but both are workhorses it really is a toss up. The tenacious is a good knife to use for those dirty, rough jobs, but I also have a couple beater delicas.

Sorry couldn't be of much help but either is a good choice.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

That's a good point my Tenacious and Cara Care 2 are a couple of spydies I can throw in my pocket and not worry about them especially for the harder chores .
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Just pulled the trigger on a GREENie Tenacious from BHQ!! See how it goes!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

jmh58 wrote:Just pulled the trigger on a GREENie Tenacious from BHQ!! See how it goes!! John
Nice and congrats !
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

What's the main difference which makes the harpy handle so much better for you?
RIOT wrote:Sorry I ruffled your feathers, Im also sorry that you have to ask a groups opinion on something to make up your own mind. Btw we are talking about a knife you asked about and not tvs, computers & shoes, again sorry you didnt like my answer, welcome to a public forum.
First of all, I didn't ask any questions in here. Maybe your Chinese monitor is going out and making user names illegible? :)

Second of all, don't be sorry, no feathers have been ruffled here. I am simply unable to NOT point out when people are being willfully ignorant and xenophobic, such as placing hate towards an inanimate object because it came from a different foreign country than the object being compared. Especially when that vitriol is directed at a country which most likely produces most of your household appliances and electronics. It's just so easy to point out the irony.
RPowell

Post by RPowell »

So, here's a question - I'm looking at either a Tenacious, Delica or Endura. I plan to carry this at work for all sorts of things - cutting open boxes, slicing fiber cables (computer stuff - they have to be cut when we dispose of them, don't ask), etc. So, a work knife that's going to get used... however, it would also be nice if it were to function outside of work as a self-defense knife, too. It has to be big enough to cover both eventualities while being small enough not to attract a ton of notice at work. Would you folks be so kind as to make a recommendation for me?

Based on this thread, I still couldn't decide between the delica and the tenacious. I *think* I'd like a larger blade, but since this is my first knife purchase, I haven't any real experience to draw on. I *think* I want a combo edge, since I think the serrated portion of the blade would be better for slicing fiber. I guess I'm afraid of going too small but I'm not sure what "too small" means given my intended usage.

Now, I'm starting to wonder if starting a new thread would have been the better idea. What the heck, here goes nothing :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

RPowell, In general knives get too small to grip efficiently before the blades get too small to cut most things. I could get away with a Cricket for cutting most things day to day but the ergonomics blow compared to a full size knife.

Any knife on your list will work out fine (don't forget the Persistence, Native, and Stretch). Combo edge works better on longer blades for obvious reasons.
All God's critters have knives.