whats your sdc?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:
Since I don't have the training or experience to sit at the grownup table I'll just throw my peas and make baby noises. :)
This what I admire about you Blerv. :D
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The :spyder: I have with built-in self-defense qualities is the Spyderco P'Kal. I'm typically not into knives specifically designed with self-defense in mind; however, I make the exception with the P'Kal. It's a really cool design, deploys nicely from the pocket, and it has some utilitarian use as well.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
XingYiJonnY

Post by XingYiJonnY »

Thanks waterbug! Does yours have the waved blade? Wave opening intrigues me...id like to give it a try sometime
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

The swicks
Slash

Ziptie

Post by Slash »

XingYiJonnY wrote:Thanks waterbug! Does yours have the waved blade? Wave opening intrigues me...id like to give it a try sometime
I think it would work on most spydies?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

All P'kal's come with a removable wave; it's screwed in.
delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

i wave all my carry knives
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:This what I admire about you Blerv. :D
Glad you found something! :p
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Glad you found something! :p
Hahaha, let me rephrase, one of the things I like about you. ;)
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

Just thought I'd chime in with my precious :D

Jesting Devil

Post by Jesting Devil »

XingYiJonnY wrote:Thanks waterbug! Does yours have the waved blade? Wave opening intrigues me...id like to give it a try sometime
Waves rule! A good portion of why I carry an Emerson Horseman is the wave feature.

On ghetto waving (zip-tie) Spydies I have found it works better on some designs than others. For instance it works very nicely on the Tenacious line due to the flat spine over the spyder-hole. However when I had one on my Salt 1 (same as a Delica) I found the zip-tie moved around in a very irritating manner and got in the way of my thumb while in use. :(

Also have you looked at the Dragonfly 2 for a small blade? I think the texture on the FRN and Jimping on the blade would give superior grip for a SD blade and you already know how the design feels in hand. It also comes in H1 or the upcoming ZDP.

Good luck! :D
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

A waved d2 could do it. I am growing fond of the Navaja, but it's not a smaller blade. did like the Scorpius as it melts into the hand and has a nice end of handle for pressure point shots if one is into that.

Welcome to the :spyder: forums, XingYiJonny. You've come to the right place.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Texas guy

Para and Para 2

Post by Texas guy »

I have carried the Para 1 for years as backup for self defense, and I just received my black-bladed Para 2 that is quickly dominating all my pocket time :cool:

I choose the Military line due to the awesome gripping shape and G10, which is more important to me than blade length. I also find the large thumb hole and smooth pivot to open reliably under all conditions.

But, like some others here have stated, my knife is only my last-ditch self defense move. I carry a Colt Commander in .45 ACP that is obviously my first line of defense, it's hard to argue with 230 grains of hollow point. Honestly though, if my pistol was inoperable or I was somewhere where I couldn't carry it, I'd resort to escaping before trying to throw down in a knife fight.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Yes, the Spyderco P'Kal does come with the Emerson Opening (wave) feature.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=267

In fact, the Emerson Opening feature on the P'Kal can be removed. I had considered removing the Emerson Opening feature when I got the P'Kal because I wasn't into wave opening folders; however, once I held the P'Kal in my hands and waved it open from my pants pocket a few times, I decided not to remove the Emerson Opening feature and leave the knife as it was.

Another nice thing about the P'Kal is that there is the Spyderco P'Kal Trainer that you can practice with...

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=306
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

In fact, the Emerson Opening feature on the P'Kal can be removed. I had considered removing the Emerson Opening feature when I got the P'Kal because I wasn't into wave opening folders; however, once I held the P'Kal in my hands and waved it open from my pants pocket a few times, I decided not to remove the Emerson Opening feature and leave the knife as it was.

Another nice thing about the P'Kal is that there is the Spyderco P'Kal Trainer that you can practice with...

Spyderco WTC #1044

NEVER FORGET!!!
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Anybody who takes a Dragonfly to a knife fight is nuts. We get quite a few knife fight participants in the E.R. at the hospital where I work (lots of gangbangers). The thing I've noticed is there are very few slashing wounds. Almost exclusively stab wounds. Maybe the ones that get slashed patch themselves up at home or maybe there is just a stabbing mind set out there. Longer blades do a lot more serious damage hands down I can tell you.
Dr Heelhook

Post by Dr Heelhook »

I don't carry a knife for the purpose of self defense (because that's something you're really not allowed to do in my country), so if I, God forbid, were ever forced to use a knife in self defense, it would probably have to be the one I happen to have in my pocket at the moment, usually a flat ground Delica, Para2, waved Endura, or Byrd Robin depending on the occasion.
Just got: Green FFG Endura
XingYiJonnY

Post by XingYiJonnY »

dman62 wrote:Anybody who takes a Dragonfly to a knife fight is nuts. We get quite a few knife fight participants in the E.R. at the hospital where I work (lots of gangbangers). The thing I've noticed is there are very few slashing wounds. Almost exclusively stab wounds. Maybe the ones that get slashed patch themselves up at home or maybe there is just a stabbing mind set out there. Longer blades do a lot more serious damage hands down I can tell you.

I thank you for your opinion but humbly disagree. From your perspective its true, but from my perspective and experience, slashing can be just as dangerous. Anyone whos dealt with correctional facilities will tell you. Ive also been stabbed twice, both bigger blades but thank the Lord only went in ~2 inches and were clean wounds. Thank goodness people dont know HOW to stab =) who wouldve thunk there would be techniques in knife combat? =D i would not feel any more confident with a bigger blade. And a small blade can be just as effective as a bigger blade, its just harder.
Pro-V

Post by Pro-V »

I have to say that I respect Jonny's perspective - he's only looking to disarm and/ or escape, rather than inflict mortal damage, using the least force necessary. It seems to me to be more of a true "defensive" philosophy, as opposed to blade combat.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Spyderco WTC #1044

NEVER FORGET!!!