Oso Grande Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Illusion

Oso Grande Knives

Post by Illusion »

Looking to purchase a certain spidey from this site (http://www.osograndeknives.com) and their prices seem pretty reasonable. Only problem is I've heard a few horror stories about these guys. Does anybody here have experience in dealing with them at all? I really want the knife, but if there is a problem I don't want to get screwed over by crappy customer service. Thanks in advance!
-Illusion
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

They don't seem to have anything that you can't get at a reputable dealer. Why not just buy elsewhere?

This probably belongs in off-topic anyway, just so you know.

edit: unless you're talking about the Para2 sprint. That might be hard to find elsewhere.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BAL

Post by BAL »

I don't know anything about them, but I don't have an issue with giving business to lesser-known dealers. However, just for a test, I selected the Manix lightweight to order and it lead me to entering my credit card info and nothing was printed about the fact that the knife is not available yet. I didn't go past this step and I would think that it would be nice to know if the blade was a pre-order, out of stock etc, before finalizing the deal. A red flag to me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Never used them myself. Best place to check a dealer's reputation is BladeForums "Good, Bad, and Ugly" sub-forum. From a quick skim there, they do seem to have a rep for poor/slow service and for taking orders for items not in stock. I'd say, at the very least phoning and verifying the item is in stock would be highly recommended. If it's something available elsewhere, I'd avoid them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

FRN Manix2 is NOT out yet, it is a pre-order. The same pre-order exists in Knifecenter and Knifeworks for example, they just list it as a pre-order.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Creepo wrote:FRN Manix2 is NOT out yet, it is a pre-order. The same pre-order exists in Knifecenter and Knifeworks for example, they just list it as a pre-order.
Exactly. Someone might go to OSO Grande or wherever and not know that and pay for a knife that is NOT listed as pre-order etc. They may need a knife ASAP and have funds set aside for only one knife. If they know a knife is unavailable, they might select something else. They might be able to cancel the order later, but you might get in a mess with your credit card. I made an order from CS (Cutlery Shoppe) and didn't notice that the Digi-Millie was on backorder. It was labeled as a backorder, but I didn't notice it. Jeff emailed me and let me know, asking if I wanted to cancel, keep or replace. I will always go back to places that are straight shooters.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Creepo wrote:FRN Manix2 is NOT out yet, it is a pre-order. The same pre-order exists in Knifecenter and Knifeworks for example, they just list it as a pre-order.
I may be missing something but I can't find a FRN Manix2. I looked in the catalog, KC and KW websites. I'd like to see it. Help?

BAL wrote:Exactly. Someone might go to OSO Grande or wherever and not know that and pay for a knife that is NOT listed as pre-order etc. They may need a knife ASAP and have funds set aside for only one knife. If they know a knife is unavailable, they might select something else. They might be able to cancel the order later, but you might get in a mess with your credit card. I made an order from CS (Cutlery Shoppe) and didn't notice that the Digi-Millie was on backorder. It was labeled as a backorder, but I didn't notice it. Jeff emailed me and let me know, asking if I wanted to cancel, keep or replace. I will always go back to places that are straight shooters.
From my experience with internet buying Jeff at cutleryshoppe.com is about as good as it gets. I always look there first whenever thinking about a knife related product. He is also dedicated to his customer's being happy

Jack.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:I may be missing something but I can't find a FRN Manix2. I looked in the catalog, KC and KW websites. I'd like to see it. Help?

From my experience with internet buying Jeff at cutleryshoppe.com is about as good as it gets. I always look there first whenever thinking about a knife related product. He is also dedicated to his customer's being happy

Jack.
Here you go. Your search skills definitely need improvement. :p
Paul
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Here you go. Your search skills definitely need improvement. :p
That's the FRCP (co-polymer) handle. Is that the same as FRN only somewhat transparent? I've never priced that knife. It is more affordable than I thought it would be.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:That's the FRCP (co-polymer) handle. Is that the same as FRN only somewhat transparent? I've never priced that knife. It is more affordable than I thought it would be.

Jack
True, there is no FRN Manix 2 and there may never be one. FRCP is not exactly the same as FRN but most people haven't gotten use to the new acronym yet, and still call it FRN. Nylon is a specific co-polymer while the co-polymer used in FRCP is not specified.
Paul
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:True, there is no FRN Manix 2 and there may never be one. FRCP is not exactly the same as FRN but most people haven't gotten use to the new acronym yet, and still call it FRN. Nylon is a specific co-polymer while the co-polymer used in FRCP is not specified.
After thinking about it I think the Manix should stay with G-10 scales IMO. FRN is great but for what most call a "hard use" knife I think I like the G-10. But, if they did come out with one with FRN I wouldn't "not buy it" because of that. I carry mine in a belt sheath most of the time so I don't have to worry about the G-10 wearing the pocket out. The blue one really looks great but at first I was concerned about it not being as "tough" because of no liners. I've read that even if it might not be "as tough" as the others it still is a very durable knife.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:After thinking about it I think the Manix should stay with G-10 scales IMO. FRN is great but for what most call a "hard use" knife I think I like the G-10. But, if they did come out with one with FRN I wouldn't "not buy it" because of that. I carry mine in a belt sheath most of the time so I don't have to worry about the G-10 wearing the pocket out. The blue one really looks great but at first I was concerned about it not being as "tough" because of no liners. I've read that even if it might not be "as tough" as the others it still is a very durable knife.

Jack
The FRCP one is definitely coming. While there are other 3.5" Spydercos I prefer over the Manix, I think some of the objections to "FRwhatever" might be less valid for it than for some of the lighter duty knives it's been used on. The ball carrier/spring carrier provides a really solid block of metal at the pivot, something lacking on unlined FRN models. Also, I'm guessing that, like the trusswork on the Q handle, the veins cast the inside surface of the handle slabs will both reduce weight and increase resistance to flex. At the very least, it will appeal to those willing to trade a bit of toughness for the more discreet carry a wire clip can provide, even if that takes a clip swap to fully accomplish.
Paul
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:The FRCP one is definitely coming. While there are other 3.5" Spydercos I prefer over the Manix, I think some of the objections to "FRwhatever" might be less valid for it than for some of the lighter duty knives it's been used on. The ball carrier/spring carrier provides a really solid block of metal at the pivot, something lacking on unlined FRN models. Also, I'm guessing that, like the trusswork on the Q handle, the veins cast the inside surface of the handle slabs will both reduce weight and increase resistance to flex. At the very least, it will appeal to those willing to trade a bit of toughness for the more discreet carry a wire clip can provide, even if that takes a clip swap to fully accomplish.
Good points as usual Deacon. I remember one guy wrote he liked the blue Manix because of it being lighter (by far) than the other Manix2s. I believe he carried it while jogging or something where a heavier knife would be inconvenient. The lighter Manix gave him all the Manix features in a lighter version. :spyder: Count on Spyderco to make almost all people happy. :spyder: And knowing what I know about Spyderco even a "lighter" version of one of their knives is going to be 10 times the knife I've used all my life untill just the last few years. I really wish I had looked into better quality knives when I was about 20 years old. I had a couple I really liked but NEVER was satisfied with edge retention which is all I really wanted.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I was thinking the translucent handle Manix2 was released but I was thinking of the other blue one I guess.

Jack
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

And here's Knifeworks' pre-order for those of you who couldn't find it, better price than KC. ;)
Illusion

Post by Illusion »

Creepo wrote:And here's Knifeworks' pre-order for those of you who couldn't find it, better price than KC. ;)
yaa i saw a couple sites had it up for preorder yesterday, are they doing another sprint??? :confused:
Illusion

Post by Illusion »

I saw a few sites had the para2 w/ gray g10 and carpenter steel up for preorder, are they doing another sprint??