Khukuri curiosity

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
avoidspam

Khukuri curiosity

Post by avoidspam »

Hi folks

A knife supplier had got a Spyderco Khukuri in stock and I'm thinking this could be a great EDC blade.

Does anyone still EDC this knife? If not why not and if so, why?

One of the things I tend to do a lot with my knives is whittle green wood, I'm thinking the negative angle would either be really good for this or problematic. For example if i was trying to put a point on a stick with the knife in a saber grip would the blade try to take too much and/or twist in my hand...?

As always thoughts/experiences appreciated :)
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

cant tell ya much about whittling and such but I like mine solely for its uniqueness :) its an awesome knife and if you can get it for a decent price I would! Its definately "different" though so it may take a bit of getting used to.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
avoidspam

Post by avoidspam »

I'm not sure Spyderco and 'decent price' exist in the UK!
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

I really LOVE my Kuk !!! But I don't EDC it for two reasons. First is I just have a lot of :spyder: to choose from and I do like to rotate them. Second is it is NOT aeasy knife to find/replace if I should need to.

As to "whittleing a point" --- the Kuk will do just great -- I find I have really good control of it and it works good for "fine/close" work -- and makes a Hellofa SD knife :eek:

If you can find one for under $150 -- JUMP ON IT :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I love my Khukuri and it's a regular part of my EDC rotation. I agree with DaBird that the Khukuri will work just fine for whittling. While keeping the wrist straight will cause the blade to be at a slightly different angle than you may be used to, but this is easily counteracted by holding the wood at a modified angle that keeps the same angle of contact between wood and blade that you would normally have. Hope what I said makes sense.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
avoidspam

Post by avoidspam »

Perfect sense, thank you :)
MCM

Post by MCM »

"Does anyone still EDC this knife? If not why not and if so, why?"

Sold mine. Too small for me........
Also, light green G-10 shows everything.
Would look dirty / fast.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Love the knife. The grind is pretty thick for a FFG model so whittling it should hold up well (it's thicker than a Stretch's blade). Not sure how the angle/handle would work for it but it has a great tip and a nice sweep of belly.

It's a TON of blade for a very reasonable handle. Reminds me of the Rookie with an ethnic twist. It's not a hawkbill but the negative blade really helps with opening certain things like boxes.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Its a great design that went the way of the Dodo... before it was widely appreciated for the excellent knife that it is.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I have a Khukuri but do not EDC it. The handle fits the hand very nice, though I would like jimping on the spine. The negative blade angle makes it very easy to use but the thick blade stock just isn't for me. That's why I EDC a Caly 3.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

I don't carry my Khukuri often because I find the lock obnoxious. I love the knife but my fat fingers cant easily release the lock. Had the scales been notched a tiny bit, it would make all the difference.

With that said, I do love the look and ergonomics of the knife.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

TexSierra wrote:I don't carry my Khukuri often because I find the lock obnoxious. I love the knife but my fat fingers cant easily release the lock. Had the scales been notched a tiny bit, it would make all the difference.

I took my power sander to the top scale and ever so slightly sanded the area (liner and scale) above the lock, enlarging the access a little bit to help make it easier to disengage. The change was minimal, but helps with this issue.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

It's a very nice knife and I do carry mine, but whittling, while doable, is not it's forte; for that eg. a Para would work much better. On the other hand, I'm spoiled with having born a Puukko in my hand, so take my opinion FWIW. The negative blade angle is very nifty in pull cuts and I like it also in peeling apples.

I have no problem operating the lock (my glove size is 9), I just stick the meat of my thumb to the whereabouts of the lock and open it goes.

What I would like to change, given a chance, is the bladestock to something greatly thinner. Full size Khukuries are choppers by nature and merit from being thick, but this folder is about slicing and, for that, unnecessarily stocky.
avoidspam

Post by avoidspam »

Thanks Mallus, that's king of what i suspected. Pukko's are wonderful knives for woodcraft. I have a full sized Khukuri which gets the task of splitting kindling (my girlfriend prefers it to the hatchet).
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that a of Ed's ethnic designs have a really thick, high-angle edge?
—Daniel Jackson
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Hi 'avoidspam',

The Khukuri is near the top of my EDC rotation. It was at the top until I got my Zulu, but that's another story. Anyway, check out my Khukuri Fascination thread for pictures and a small review.

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

TexSierra wrote:I don't carry my Khukuri often because I find the lock obnoxious. I love the knife but my fat fingers cant easily release the lock. Had the scales been notched a tiny bit, it would make all the difference.

Hi TexSierra,

I initially had an issue releasing the lock until I stumbled upon using the pad of my thumb instead of the tip. Now it's easy to release without thinking about it.

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Agreed with the thumb pad; it works like a charm.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

There is a very subtle cutout on the scale opposite the lock spring....

I like mine, just don't carry it much. Spyderco just makes too many good knives; it's not that the khuk's bad (It's very nice), there's just so many others I like better. I should carry it tomorrow.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
burningpit

Post by burningpit »

I think the Khukuri makes a great EDC knife but the only drawback is the lack of jimping on the blade spine and finger choil. When choking up on the blade, I was afraid of my fingers slipping up onto the blade so STR was nice enough to put jimping on it for me for a small fee. Problem solved and the knife carries and performs well.
:spyder: Collector Club #092 :spyder: