Khukuri curiosity

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

i edc the khuk. when im not at work. work gets h1. the khuk i great at carving and some light cooking prep. folds to a small size but feels decently large in hand. my favorite knife i own. the only reason i dont edc it at work is that i cant replace the khukri and i work around chemicals all day.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

yowzer wrote:There is a very subtle cutout on the scale opposite the lock spring....

I like mine, just don't carry it much. Spyderco just makes too many good knives; it's not that the khuk's bad (It's very nice), there's just so many others I like better. I should carry it tomorrow.
My Khukuri scales are identical side to side, I wonder if Spyderco changed their scales for better access.
hoser

Design idea?

Post by hoser »

So what exactly IS the design idea behind the curve...for self defense or for whittling wood or ???. Cool, but I'd love to know. I'll go search around Spyderco site to see if they explain but thought I'd post it here. Thanks!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

hoser wrote:So what exactly IS the design idea behind the curve...for self defense or for whittling wood or ???. Cool, but I'd love to know. I'll go search around Spyderco site to see if they explain but thought I'd post it here. Thanks!
It's an ethnic design, based on the Nepalese knife. You can see a good overview of the kukri/khukuri knife here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khukri
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Many of Ed's designs also incorporate proper wrist alignment and negative blade angle. The Khuk does this wonderfully.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

TexSierra wrote:My Khukuri scales are identical side to side, I wonder if Spyderco changed their scales for better access.
Kinda late, but I didn't notice it the first time this thread came around.

On my Khukri and Barong, the scale opposite the lock side is cut out slightly -- a millimeter or two, up near the crest of the choil rise. It's pretty subtle, but obvious to the touch or eye when looking at the knives side on when open. It's just enough that my finger catches the lock bar easily when pushing it open.

The negative blade angle/curve is present on lots of Spyderco knives, not just Ed Schempp's designs, though his do tend to be the more extreme ones. It brings the point into a good position for stabbing cuts, and, for me at least, is much is more ergonomic and comfortable for slicing and other cuts compared to a blade that goes straight off the end of the handle.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
hoser

Post by hoser »

It's definitely different and pretty cool. Just wasn't sure if it was just a "gimmick" or it actually is a useful design.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's pretty cool. Carries like a Delica but with a flow-through design and 3.5" blade. Like the Rookie it's hard to appreciate till you see comparison pics.
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

I like the khukuri BUT the liners (also the lock up part) are to sharp and even cut my fingers a little. The lock up mechanism is bad because it's sharp and not easy to use! Sorry but i have to be honest. It isn't pleasant to close this knife many times a day.

Besides that i like the khukuri. The ergonomics are amazing and the forward blade design is very practical. It's a good slicer. It has the size and weight for being a good EDC knife. It can do many tasks. Even peeling an apple is no problem. The foliage green g10 on the handles is pretty.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I love the knife, everything about it. The only thing is I don't carry it much because I want to preserve it. I even have a back up just in case. I said this in another thread already but you just can't fully understand it until you have it in your hand. I hate liner locks and do not like knives without jimping but I would buy this knife again and again if they came out in a sprint. Ed Schempp knives are so thoughtful to ease of use and artful design. Huge fan!
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

Bluntrauma wrote:I love the knife, everything about it. The only thing is I don't carry it much because I want to preserve it. I even have a back up just in case. I said this in another thread already but you just can't fully understand it until you have it in your hand. I hate liner locks and do not like knives without jimping but I would buy this knife again and again if they came out in a sprint. Ed Schempp knives are so thoughtful to ease of use and artful design. Huge fan!
Don't wanna sound like a hater. I have 2 spyderco khukuri's. It is a good knife. Bladeshape is fantastic. But if you would use it a lot like i do, then you would notice that the liners are to sharp and the lock isn't practical. It is bad! Really!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's a matter of how the knife is being closed. Depending on where on the liner you push its not that difficult to depress. Far easier than my old Captain without the jimping to hurt your thumb pad. Personally I find it extremely well executed.

Ed designed the smooth design to minimize accident closing. Probably the biggest complain about the liner lock's nature.
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

Blerv wrote:It's a matter of how the knife is being closed. Depending on where on the liner you push its not that difficult to depress. Far easier than my old Captain without the jimping to hurt your thumb pad. Personally I find it extremely well executed.

Ed designed the smooth design to minimize accident closing. Probably the biggest complain about the liner lock's nature.
Everywere i push it, it isn't pleasant (after many time on a row). Do you use it a lot? (be honest) Anyway... idd that could be a reason for the smooth design.