Civilian - Edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
niordian

Civilian - Edge

Post by niordian »

Hi All,

I have recently purchase a Civilian online and have recieved it recently.
Upon recieving it I feel the edge is not "perfect" and it looks like a used knife to me. 2 observation I have made:

1) The tip look abit blunted (Any owner feel the same too when they recieve their Civilian?)
2) there is obvious straight mark on the surface of the blade.

I am not sure if I am too picky or it is just the manufacturing limitation. I am ok to accept if any current owner have the same observation of the tip as well.

* I will post some pic again but any sharing of remarks/comments is greatly appreciated*
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Of my 13 civilians, none have any of the two things you remarke. All have very sharp tips and very nice blades. I do, however, notice changes in grinding. Presumably because each one is hand grinded.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've only had six of them over the years, but I'd agree with Fairlane, they all had needle sharp tips. Not sure what "an obvious straight mark" is, so can't comment on that except to say that the final edge grinding on all Spyderco knives is done by hand on a belt grinder, so minor cosmetic imperfections occasionally do happen. Pictures would definitely help. Did you purchase it from a dealer, or an individual?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, did you purchase the knife from an online dealer, forum member, ebay etc?

It is highly unlikely that your Civilian would be shipped from Spyderco with a defected grind. However, things happen and you cannot be 100%.

Also, keep in mind the Civilian has a "fragile" tip to begin with. It could have been blunted by the previous owner and you were not informed(Thats if you bought it on the second hand market).

I look forward to hearing a reply and hope to not think that this will not deter you from future spyderco knives.
Come Join Us Click Here
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

The tip should be like a frigging needle. If the "straight mark" is parallel to the grind lines it might be an imperfection, if its not, it's a scratch from... somewhere. Doesn't sound new to me, hope you didn't pay too much for it. Pics will help. :)
niordian

Post by niordian »

Hi, I have uploaded 2 pic.
The picture showing the "ïmperfect" wasn't taken very well. I am trying to get a better camera to have a better close up.

I purchase these from ebay as brand new. Anyway I can get that light scratch off the blade? Have anyone shop at the Spyderco outlet mall before? Does knife sold in the outlet have some minor non-functional imperfection?

This is my 2nd Spyderco, I do not think this will put me off in expanding my collection :) but I just want to confirm my observation as I am some of sort of QA guy who is able to pick out black dots from transparent lens... :p
Attachments
photo 04.JPG
photo 04.JPG (75.45 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
photo 03.JPG
photo 03.JPG (87.24 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

niordian wrote: I purchase these from ebay as brand new.
Just people someone claims a knife is brand new that does not necessarily mean it is.

Ebay is one of those places where you need to be very careful when buying. Many times sellers are not knife enthusiasts and have little knowledge about the item they are selling. They give the knife a quick glace and sell it "Brand New" when in reality it is used.

Also... To me, brand new includes a box.(In the civilian case, the padded spyderco case was in place of the normal box)
Come Join Us Click Here
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd suggest you have three options. First would be to contact the seller and return the knife, if they will refund your money. Second would be to send it to Spyderco, along with $5 for return shipping, and they'll resharpen the tip and buff out the scratch. Third would be to sharpen and buff it yourself, if you feel up to it. Personally, I'd go with option1 or option 2 on a safe queen, or sharpen the tip and live with the scratch if I bought it to use, but only you know your level of skill.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!