what do you want from spyderco in the next 5 years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Fewer 50/50 choils.
More 1:1 blade to handle ratio knives

More S90V (and similar)
No more skeletonized liners

At least a sprint of the C95 (maybe in S90V or 20CP)
An XL C95 :D
More lefty friendly locks (lefty versions of Frame and Compression locks)
And I would like Spyderco to do a knife in carbon steel.
More Micarta
Fewer itty bitty knives.
The opposite of these...I don't want Spyderco to be just like everyone else! 50-50 Choils and large handles are Spyderco's trademark, they should be just as prominent. Plus, they work.

And I can't see any solid logic supporting solid liner...skeletonized are as strong, but much lighter...what's the downside??? You just want unnecessarily heavy knives??

I agree with Micarta. I want a C95 2 that stays true to the original, basically like a Large Manix only with a ball lock and proud liners like the Manix 2, but with the same handle shape and FFG.

I want more updates of classic models, but to stay true to the original (for example, I want to Li'l Temp 2 to be more like the original than I hear it is).

I'd love to see a Calypso 2, whatever the name might be. A giant Calypso with all the refinements from the Caly 3. Although the Caly 3.5 is going toward the original Calypso's shape, and I love that aspect of it.

Basically though, more of the same--Variety, great ergonomics and premium cutting-edge steels, and a combination of custom-collabs and models made by Sal and Eric

Spyderco already gets it right! No fundamental changes--more leaf blades and choils on the core models like the Calypso and Sage lines, and a good overall variety!
razorsharp

Delica 5 !!!!!!!!

Post by razorsharp »

Image :rolleyes: Like it?
JimP

Post by JimP »

razorsharp wrote: :rolleyes: Like it?
I like it a lot! Well thought out and I agree with all changes, the only thing that could make it better is a compression lock....I say that about a lot of knives though.

Something I would like to see is a Drop Point UKPK(love that knife :o ) with, yep you guessed it, a compression lock! :D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

JimP wrote:I like it a lot! Well thought out and I agree with all changes, the only thing that could make it better is a compression lock....I say that about a lot of knives though.
IMHO it would take away from the classic features ,.. but so does a choil lol :rolleyes:
,a comp lock would be awesome :p
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Another Michael Walker. I got the last one and every time I pick it up the love comes back. I'm always impressed with how solid this little knife is. The last one had CF scales and ZDP-189 blade. Maybe another steel for the next one. I would suggest M4 but I'll be on the fence for this steel as far as corrosion since it is my only non stainless steel knife. I believe my concerns are unwarranted since I keep my Manix well lubricated but it will take time before I stop thinking about it. Like someone else said "I'll trust Spyderco to select a great steel." Handle material? Up to Spyderco also. Being small, all I ask for is that it stay in the "gentleman's folder" category.

Jack
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

A large and mini pair of Spyderco Scissors - fixed and folding :)

With handles like their Spyderfly and Smallfly !
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The "pair" of scissors reminded me of something I thought about once. A "pair" of knives of different sizes. One 3.5" and one 2.5" blade length (exact length variable of course). As far as I know a Delica and Endura is the closest thing Spyderco has that fits what I'm thinking about. Everything about each knife should be identical except size. I like to carry two knives based on size and difficulty of the cutting task and I think a pair would be interesting and sellable. I don't know if it should be two sizes of a brand new model or if it could be a smaller or larger version of something already in existance.

Jack
The Mentaculous

jackknifeh wrote:Another Michael Walker. I got the last one and every time I pick it up the love comes back. I'm always impressed with how solid this little knife is. The last one had CF scales and ZDP-189 blade. Maybe another steel for the next one. I would suggest M4 but I'll be on the fence for this steel as far as corrosion since it is my only non stainless steel knife. I believe my concerns are unwarranted since I keep my Manix well lubricated but it will take time before I stop thinking about it. Like someone else said "I'll trust Spyderco to select a great steel." Handle material? Up to Spyderco also. Being small, all I ask for is that it stay in the "gentleman's folder" category.

Jack
I agree, the MW is an awesome design, and the perfect size for a small knife that can still get the job done! I love the CF version that I have, especially because of the ZDP steel, but I don't use it enough because I try to "baby" it a bit since it's a sprint and hard to acquire nowadays. Also, the high riding clip kind of freaks me out because the knife is so small, so having a lot sticking out of the pocket makes it more prone to getting pulled out and lost.

That's the only thing I would change design wise for a new version, just make the clip mounted to carry deeper. I definitely wouldn't change the grind, the high hollow with a swedge is beautiful and cuts great. I wouldn't mind ZDP, and as for a handle material, Micarta would be awesome, however there would probably need to be a second liner since I remember Sal saying they didn't want to do unlined Micarta anymore. Peel ply CF would be awesome too, as would polished G-10 in a subtle earth color.

PS--I thought of another thing that I am eager to see in the next few years (I remember Sal saying they are working on them)--A set of kitchen cutlery! Preferably something affordable, but still with a quality steel (VG-10 seems like the best probably). I would love to see a set, or even a few different sets at various price points come out. Something like a 8-10" Chef's knife, carving knife and fork, serrated bread knife, 5-6" utility knife and paring knife would make a perfect set.

It would be cool to have that in VG-10 and some kind of laminated wood handles. Even FRN formed to be grippy would be cool for the cost factor.

PPS-Also once the Native 5 series is released, I'd like to see the Native Chief get updated and produced!
dialex

Post by dialex »

I hope Spyderco will keep the unlinered FRN knives (excellent together with H1) - and who knows, maybe they'll even consider making an Assist with a more utilitarian blade (perhaps like this one): ;)

The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The Mentaculous wrote:The opposite of these...I don't want Spyderco to be just like everyone else! 50-50 Choils and large handles are Spyderco's trademark, they should be just as prominent. Plus, they work.

And I can't see any solid logic supporting solid liner...skeletonized are as strong, but much lighter...what's the downside??? You just want unnecessarily heavy knives??

I agree with Micarta. I want a C95 2 that stays true to the original, basically like a Large Manix only with a ball lock and proud liners like the Manix 2, but with the same handle shape and FFG.

I want more updates of classic models, but to stay true to the original (for example, I want to Li'l Temp 2 to be more like the original than I hear it is).

I'd love to see a Calypso 2, whatever the name might be. A giant Calypso with all the refinements from the Caly 3. Although the Caly 3.5 is going toward the original Calypso's shape, and I love that aspect of it.

Basically though, more of the same--Variety, great ergonomics and premium cutting-edge steels, and a combination of custom-collabs and models made by Sal and Eric

Spyderco already gets it right! No fundamental changes--more leaf blades and choils on the core models like the Calypso and Sage lines, and a good overall variety!
Choils take up edge space, put choils in handles, that is where they are best. At least back them up a bit and make 75:25 choils. Large handles on small blades are silly. As much as I like the Pars2, you can easily loose a 1/3 to a 1/2 an inch off the handle and then it would take up less pocket room and still be an exceptional knife. I agree that they work on some knives but I think that some other models would be better without.

Skeletonized liners cost more to produce and saving a little bit of weight at least on medium to large folders seems silly at best. On lightweight knifes or small knives sure it might make sense but on knives like the GB or a Manix2 etc, it's not necessary.

That rumoured Manix XL is what you are looking for...and I agree that would be great. I'd like a new sprint of the original...

I also like the idea of keeping the Lil Temp like the original. BUT I would like the handle to be a little more ambi friendly.
On the hunt for...
jossta

Post by jossta »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I'd like a new sprint of the original...
This
Donut

Post by Donut »

jackknifeh wrote:Another Michael Walker. I got the last one and every time I pick it up the love comes back. I'm always impressed with how solid this little knife is. The last one had CF scales and ZDP-189 blade. Maybe another steel for the next one. I would suggest M4 but I'll be on the fence for this steel as far as corrosion since it is my only non stainless steel knife. I believe my concerns are unwarranted since I keep my Manix well lubricated but it will take time before I stop thinking about it. Like someone else said "I'll trust Spyderco to select a great steel." Handle material? Up to Spyderco also. Being small, all I ask for is that it stay in the "gentleman's folder" category.

Jack
I thought that zdp was classified as stainless.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Slash

Post by Slash »

MORE THICKER FIXED BLADES. Pick your poison for steel material. Stainless cpm-3v, m390, elmax. Carbon (none stainless), 1095, A-1 or other would be nice.

Folders? More rugged, thicker blades/handles like zero tolerance offers.

OK...that's a little more than my 2 cents.

Almost forget, I could do w/o the sdypie hole for a flipper or other as it would allow a less bulky top to bottom and stronger(no hole) design. PLEASE don't put any holes in my fixed blades either.
Nothing against the hole. I really would like to see some blades w/o it though. As a none functional, steel weakening process. I would really appreciate it not being there.

As an avid knife USER, not just collector or some guy that removes all the steel to get an edge that cuts tp. I hope to see some very good things from Spyderco....soon.

Also, please try some new ways to heat and cryo treat various types of steels. R & D do your thing and earn your paychecks. :P

THANKS

Josh
Slash

If it stains easily then...

Post by Slash »

Donut wrote:I thought that zdp was classified as stainless.
Not sure what class it's in but...it stains quite easily.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Slash wrote:MORE THICKER FIXED BLADES. Pick your poison for steel material. Stainless cpm-3v, m390, elmax. Carbon (none stainless), 1095, A-1 or other would be nice.

Folders? More rugged, thicker blades/handles like zero tolerance offers.

OK...that's a little more than my 2 cents.

Almost forget, I could do w/o the sdypie hole for a flipper or other as it would allow a less bulky top to bottom and stronger(no hole) design. PLEASE don't put any holes in my fixed blades either.
Nothing against the hole. I really would like to see some blades w/o it though. As a none functional, steel weaking process. I would really appreciate it not being there.

As an avid knife USER, not just collect or some guy that removes all the steel to get an edge that cuts tp. I hope to see some very good things from Spyderco....soon.

Also, please try some new ways to heat and cryo treat various types of steels. R & D do your thing and earn your paychecks. :P

THANKS

Josh
I don't want to give offense... but are you joking? Sometimes sarcasm doesn't convert digitally...
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
MCM

Post by MCM »

Sushi knife

Not for everyone, but I make my own..........now and then.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

I would like to see the evolution of the adorable tenacious line up with an American sprint run of CTS 20 CP, slightly thicker, with a textured g10 and Ti lock up(same texture) - pure OTT, family of hard core workers, to pay homage to a strong line knives.

I also agree with the slightly larger mule, as a knife though or a dedicated mule in a micro clean tool steel.

Cheers,
Guy
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

I forgot to mention the need for a Spyderco Competition Chopper(MULE), that would rock!!!

oops,
Guy
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

+1 to the competition chopper... forgot about that.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
The Mentaculous

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Choils take up edge space, put choils in handles, that is where they are best. At least back them up a bit and make 75:25 choils. Large handles on small blades are silly. As much as I like the Pars2, you can easily loose a 1/3 to a 1/2 an inch off the handle and then it would take up less pocket room and still be an exceptional knife. I agree that they work on some knives but I think that some other models would be better without.

Skeletonized liners cost more to produce and saving a little bit of weight at least on medium to large folders seems silly at best. On lightweight knifes or small knives sure it might make sense but on knives like the GB or a Manix2 etc, it's not necessary.

That rumoured Manix XL is what you are looking for...and I agree that would be great. I'd like a new sprint of the original...

I also like the idea of keeping the Lil Temp like the original. BUT I would like the handle to be a little more ambi friendly.
I completely disagree with you and I think this obsession with getting every last bit of edge out of a knife is just completely pointless. I would much rather have a balanced, ergonomic and safe knife than one that has as much edge as possible. Is that last little 1/4-1/2" of blade really that important? I think the choil is something that makes Spyderco unique, and the majority of Spyderco's designs are not concentrating on maximizing edge space. You can like what you want, but I hope Spyderco doesn't change any aspect of their designs just to please a few people, and in the process become like most other knife companies... BTW, There are plenty with small or no choils out there--Gayle Bradley, Paramilitary (that choil does NOT take up much space), Military, Michael Walker, the entire Tenacious series, the new Valloton model, and several more.

As for skeletonized liners, when have you ever seen it increase the retail cost? The Bradley went from full to drilled liners with no cost increase. That was minimal drilling as well. For an example of a real weight decrease, compare the Manix 2 sprints to the regular Manix 2. It is night and day. I think it would be insane to stop skeletonizing the liners, because Spyderco does it on so many models, and they turn out perfectly weighted and easy to carry. Believe me, you would notice the weight.

You're free to have your preferences, and I'm sure that Spyderco will make knife that satisfies them again at some point (for ex. tenacious series has no choil), but I just am confused how someone can be a Spyderco fan, yet dislike some of their most ubiquitous and consistent design features. Choils, large handles and lightweight, easy carry knives are some of the defining features of a Spyderco knife IMO. Disliking them is to dislike the large majority of Spyderco's designs, no? To each his own, and there are plenty of knives out there that meet those specs from other major companies.