what do you want from spyderco in the next 5 years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I'd like to see Spyderco release a kitchen block (w/ knives, of course :) ). I know Sal has discussed it in the past but I hope it comes to fruition in the next 5 years.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

How about 'the everlasting continious integrity and honesty of our fine company called 'Spyderco'. Surprise me Spyderco, there is al-ways stuff I like!

To be specific....more steels, more mules and steel blanks (how about a Temp-blank in a new exotic steel?), colored G10, japanese inspired designs...

Cheers,
Tomas
Tom
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

Maybe a production line of the best selling midsize success models like the Delica, Sage, Caly 3 with the UK-non locking-style option parallel to the regular line. Where the design/functionality allows it to be the same as the original model!
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Arillon wrote:A Paramilitary with orange g10 scales and a black dlc coated M4 steel blade. What I would give for that...
I put orange G-10 scales on a Manix2 black blade knife. It really looks good. I also made blue G-10 scales that looked great with the black blade also. The blue lookes meaner. The orange looks happier.

[ATTACH]17099[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17100[/ATTACH]

Jack
Attachments
Manix2 DLC blue.jpg
Manix2 DLC blue.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Manix2 DLC orange .jpg
Manix2 DLC orange .jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

A spyderco military with a tip up carry, deep pocket wire clip in ZDP (or cpm-s90v). Black G-10 or CF please!
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

Al Mar collaboration: silver bolsters, black micarta

A new or slightly modified caly jr: micarta or frn

a 2 to 3 inch blade fixed blade (a la bark river and blind horse)

dark green G10 (from stag arms manix) para2 (no preference on blade steel)

Currently I really like the direction Spyderco is going. We are seeing new steels and handle colors as well as some excellent designer knives.
In omnia paratus
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I would like to see Spyderco do something in wood. Not burl that just seems to drive cost up, but a nice olivewood or cocobolo, at least an inlay, combine that with M4 or maybe...I dunno. Something not prone to chipping, but better at edge retention than vg10...

Oh and I would really really love a locking drop point UKPK...or in other words, a drop point Caly.
On the hunt for...
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

I would like more of the production knives offered in H1, and also keep expanding the G10, frn handle color options!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

I know I'm bumping an older thread, but this thread caused me to actually register after lurking for so long (years). I love Spyderco because of their attitude towards knifes and their constant innovation, not a day goes by that there's not a Spyderco in my pocket.

Existing Features I Like:

-Choils (preferably jimped)
-Sharp jimping
-FFG knives
-Wire clips
-Colored handles

For some reason a knife with a purple handle seems to be so much more sheeple friendly.
-Compression Lock, CBBL
Both quickly and easily closed with one hand in a single easy motion. Also, I love fondling my Manix2 because of the lock, I love flicking it open and closed when I'm thinking or bored.
-Skeletonized liners
Adds strength with minimum weight, excellent.
-DLC
Lower visibility in an emergency defense situation, if I ever had to (god forbid) use a knife for self defense I'd rather not advertise it. Also, it adds corrosion resistance.
-H1
-Hawkbills
-Slipjoints

For light duty cutting task it's so easy to close by smacking the blade spine against my thigh.

Refinements To Existing Models:
-C07 Police
An excellent knife that is overlooked by many because of the perceived slipperyness of the stainless steel handle. Adding jimping to the thumb ramp and choil would help this! Also, tip up would be a great option!
-DLC blades with colored G10 handles
-DLC FFG Manix 2!
-Tip up option on military

Niches That Are Not Filled By Spyderco's Current Catalog:
-MBC hawkbill (DLC?)
-G10 handled hawkbill folder (hint: tasman)
-fixed blade hawkbill (a la al mar backup 2)
-DLC hawkbill!
-Super hard use folder
, XL manix?

Things I Would Like To See Implemented:

-Cobra hoods, like on the atr
-More DLC
-More white scales (frn!, g10?)
-a dyad with one leaf shaped blade and one hawkbill
-Dark green/Olive drab G10
-Skeletionized liners that protrude in the knife's choil (where applicable) manix 2 style with aggressive jimping
-A custom knife building program
with different blade, handle and maybe lock choices. And engraving! Para2 or manix2?
-Micarta Handles
-An idea submission outlet
Along with many others I would love to be able to share my ideas with the R&D team, preferably without posting them publicly on the forums.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Fixed Blade Survival Knife.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
wingman_214

Post by wingman_214 »

Dr Heelhook

Post by Dr Heelhook »

I want the pygmy warrior as soon as possible. :)
Just got: Green FFG Endura
Spyderhole

Post by Spyderhole »

Ok, here's my little wishlist...

What I (and probably many other Europeans) am really desiring from Spyderco are two-handed opening knives that replace the big thumbhole with a very small round hole that doesn't allow one-hand opening anymore but still keeps the trademark on the blade. Very similar to the Spyderholes on the fixed blades, for example the Warrior or the Streetbeat:

1) A slipjoint model with a blade length less than 7.0 cm which makes it legal in Denmark (which is among the most knife-restricted areas) and therefore legal in almost every other country in Europe. Somethink like >>>this<<<.

2) The same concept applied to models with a lock that has good blade retention, especially lockbacks. This would give Germans a locking Spyderco again, that is totally legal for EDC carry (besides the non-locking slipits).
Favoured models include the Endura, Stretch, especially the Native 5 and maybe even the Manix.
When applied to the Native 5 this would mainly involve drilling a smaller hole instead of the big thumbhole and nothing else. The rusult would be the >>>Native 42<<<.

Other than that here are some more things I'd like to see:
  • More 3-dimensional textures and thicker scales: Adding grooves and all kind of different textures on g10, Micarta and Titanium would not only look less boring but give you ergonomically better grip even on smooth textures. The Zulu, PPT and Lionspy are a step in the right direction. I also like the diomaond pattern on the titanium side of the Tuff.
  • Handle materials:
    - More peel-ply carbon fiber for regular production models
    - Lightening Strike carbon fiber
    - Silver Twill carbon fiber
    - More Micarta in general
    - Duo-tone G10 and Micarta in combination with interesting textures (Tigerstripe etc..., just look at what Benchmade did with the Bone Collector or the Rift as an inspiration)
  • Handle colors:
    - less flashy, bright colors on the handle (example orange ukpk, Sage 3) but more subtle, "organic colors". Sure the first one make your knife look less threatening if someone looks at it but I would prefer if my knife wouldn't even attract the looks of others in the first place.
    I like the foliage green very much and would appreciate if more regular production models would receive colours like all different shades from grey to black; earth tones from tan, coyote to dark earth brown; green tones from foliage green, forrest green to OD. Basically everything that looks more "natural" for a knife handle but I would also like to see some dark navy blue and especially some Burgundy (similar to SAK scales).
    I like those bright colors only if they form in combination with another color some kind of texturing. Black-orange tiger stripes or black and toxic green for example.
    This applies to G10 and Micarta scales as I dont even care about FRN anymore (I own enough of them for use and they feel cheep though they are certainly high quality)

- Anodizing on Titanium: Depending on voltage you can achieve the whole color spectrum of the rainbow. I'd love to see some cobalt blue or bronze anodized titanium scales from factory as not everybody can or wants to do this himself.
    Flame anodizing like on the fluted Military is also nice or something like on the flamed Striders.
  • Deep-carry wire clips:
    They are light, strong but not too stiff, allow deep carriage and poeple don't really expect a knife but rather a pen from its appearance.
    Same idea like with the handle colors: If possible prefer that poeple don't recognize that i´m carrying a knife as the sight of goofy pocket clips lead to goofy questions especially when you live in Europe.
    I wouldn't mind if all models from now on would only use deep-carry wire clips. Maybe use thicker and stronger wire for longer clips on bigger knives. Those wire clips also require only a single screw which is much bigger than on the other clip variants. As a consequence the srews might be a lot tougher than the tiny T6 and could probably even be hardend to prevent stripping the heads.
  • Increase the quality of your screws!
    Here are two videos that pretty much sum it all up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuVBob0aAQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCghaNtVeM0

My own experience with Spydercos screws:
    No problems with taking apart several knives except on my Sage 1:
    I tried to remove the pocket clip but the screws were of such low quality that the head stripped and the screw is now totally damaged which doesn't allow the dissassembly of the knife anymore. And No it was not my fault because I used a high quality torx-bit with exactly the right size and was very cautious. The reason was the unusual softness of the screw and the screw's head being not deep enough to fit the bit as tightly as it was required. As a consequence the screwhead couldn't withstand the torsional moment that would be required to loosen the screw and stripped. And no it was not because of any loctite as I was able to loosen every screw with loctite on it so far. Also the screws on my Sage 2 are on a whole other level of quality as they are about 2-2.5 times as deep and seem to be made of much harder steel.
    Other than that I had no other problems with Spydercos screw quality, though I have to agree with NeptuneKnives (video) that the Military doesn't deserve its name if you take the size of the screws into consideration.
    To put it in a nutshell: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
    This applies to knives also.
Waco

Post by Waco »

A higher percentage produced in the USA.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The main thing I'd love to see are more skinny knives, like the Jess Horn models, or the Rookie. They just take up less space in the pocket, without sacrificing blade strength.

Also, I'd love to see an Al Mar/Spyderco collaboration along the same lines as the Falcon or Eagle models.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If Spyderco can surprise me in the next five years as pleasingly as it has in the last five months, I have nothing more to ask.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

+1 for a wood handle fixed blade. I love the Golden made stuff. I know the folks in Golden are crazy busy. If you folks up the hill need help, I'd be happy to pitch in for free. :rolleyes: keep up the good work.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Is that all? That's not a lot. :p
Spyderhole wrote:Ok, here's my little wishlist...

What I (and probably many other Europeans) am really desiring from Spyderco are two-handed opening knives that replace the big thumbhole with a very small round hole that doesn't allow one-hand opening anymore but still keeps the trademark on the blade. Very similar to the Spyderholes on the fixed blades, for example the Warrior or the Streetbeat:

1) A slipjoint model with a blade length less than 7.0 cm which makes it legal in Denmark (which is among the most knife-restricted areas) and therefore legal in almost every other country in Europe. Somethink like >>>this<<<.

2) The same concept applied to models with a lock that has good blade retention, especially lockbacks. This would give Germans a locking Spyderco again, that is totally legal for EDC carry (besides the non-locking slipits).
Favoured models include the Endura, Stretch, especially the Native 5 and maybe even the Manix.
When applied to the Native 5 this would mainly involve drilling a smaller hole instead of the big thumbhole and nothing else. The rusult would be the >>>Native 42<<<.

Other than that here are some more things I'd like to see:
  • More 3-dimensional textures and thicker scales: Adding grooves and all kind of different textures on g10, Micarta and Titanium would not only look less boring but give you ergonomically better grip even on smooth textures. The Zulu, PPT and Lionspy are a step in the right direction. I also like the diomaond pattern on the titanium side of the Tuff.
  • Handle materials:
    - More peel-ply carbon fiber for regular production models
    - Lightening Strike carbon fiber
    - Silver Twill carbon fiber
    - More Micarta in general
    - Duo-tone G10 and Micarta in combination with interesting textures (Tigerstripe etc..., just look at what Benchmade did with the Bone Collector or the Rift as an inspiration)
  • Handle colors:
    - less flashy, bright colors on the handle (example orange ukpk, Sage 3) but more subtle, "organic colors". Sure the first one make your knife look less threatening if someone looks at it but I would prefer if my knife wouldn't even attract the looks of others in the first place.
    I like the foliage green very much and would appreciate if more regular production models would receive colours like all different shades from grey to black; earth tones from tan, coyote to dark earth brown; green tones from foliage green, forrest green to OD. Basically everything that looks more "natural" for a knife handle but I would also like to see some dark navy blue and especially some Burgundy (similar to SAK scales).
    I like those bright colors only if they form in combination with another color some kind of texturing. Black-orange tiger stripes or black and toxic green for example.
    This applies to G10 and Micarta scales as I dont even care about FRN anymore (I own enough of them for use and they feel cheep though they are certainly high quality)

- Anodizing on Titanium: Depending on voltage you can achieve the whole color spectrum of the rainbow. I'd love to see some cobalt blue or bronze anodized titanium scales from factory as not everybody can or wants to do this himself.
    Flame anodizing like on the fluted Military is also nice or something like on the flamed Striders.
  • Deep-carry wire clips:
    They are light, strong but not too stiff, allow deep carriage and poeple don't really expect a knife but rather a pen from its appearance.
    Same idea like with the handle colors: If possible prefer that poeple don't recognize that i´m carrying a knife as the sight of goofy pocket clips lead to goofy questions especially when you live in Europe.
    I wouldn't mind if all models from now on would only use deep-carry wire clips. Maybe use thicker and stronger wire for longer clips on bigger knives. Those wire clips also require only a single screw which is much bigger than on the other clip variants. As a consequence the srews might be a lot tougher than the tiny T6 and could probably even be hardend to prevent stripping the heads.
  • Increase the quality of your screws!
    Here are two videos that pretty much sum it all up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuVBob0aAQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCghaNtVeM0

My own experience with Spydercos screws:
    No problems with taking apart several knives except on my Sage 1:
    I tried to remove the pocket clip but the screws were of such low quality that the head stripped and the screw is now totally damaged which doesn't allow the dissassembly of the knife anymore. And No it was not my fault because I used a high quality torx-bit with exactly the right size and was very cautious. The reason was the unusual softness of the screw and the screw's head being not deep enough to fit the bit as tightly as it was required. As a consequence the screwhead couldn't withstand the torsional moment that would be required to loosen the screw and stripped. And no it was not because of any loctite as I was able to loosen every screw with loctite on it so far. Also the screws on my Sage 2 are on a whole other level of quality as they are about 2-2.5 times as deep and seem to be made of much harder steel.
    Other than that I had no other problems with Spydercos screw quality, though I have to agree with NeptuneKnives (video) that the Military doesn't deserve its name if you take the size of the screws into consideration.
    To put it in a nutshell: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
    This applies to knives also.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

More compression locks...strong, safe, and simple. Micarta is good. FG Delica in micarta or cf with S90V and comp lock.......oh yea. Keep it deep. Pocket T-shirts. A T-shirt without a pocket is useless. Let us know when they are available.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Offering to download parts and print them at home on a 3D printer!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram