New H1 Dragonfly or New Cat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

New H1 Dragonfly or New Cat

Post by captnvegtble »

I don't have either one, but I'm wondering which people would buy and why if they were only going to get one.
Donut

Post by Donut »

What do you intend to use the knife for?

If I was only going to buy one I might go for the Cat because I don't think the yellow handle will work for everything. I've really been itching to get a H1 Dragonfly, though.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

I have the Dragonfly2 zdp-189 and it fits the hand very well (and the jimping is just right). I plan on getting the Cat but if I only could get one I would go for the Dragonfly2.

Have you had a chance to hold the Dragonfly2?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't really give a very good opinion since i haven't handled the Cat, but the Dfly is probably the most amazing little knife i've handled, it fit my hand like it was custom built for me...i was very impressed. I would probably just dye the yellow black and go with that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yuldeli

Post by yuldeli »

I have the H1 Dfly and it's a great user. The yellow handle makes it very nkp friendly. Folks at my office who regard my Caly 3 as a "shiv" find the Dfly "cute"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The more i look at the Cat, the more i'm intrigued. I think in the end for me it would come down to liner lock vs. back lock and not so much the knives themselves, the cat looks to have typical awesome ergonomics so i'm sure it feels as good or better in the hand than the Dragonfly. I don't particularly like liner locks on knives that are on the smaller side because they require a bit more dexterity to hold and close when you have big hands.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I have a Cat and a DF, I like the Cat more, there is more to hold on too.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

krislacy wrote:Have you had a chance to hold the Dragonfly2?
I've never held a dragonfly before, or a Cat for that matter. The thing I guess I'm most wondering about is ergonomics and that is a vey personal thing. Aside from steel type, handle material, color, etc. I'm most concerned about which knife is going to fit best in my hand and give me that "little big knife" feel. Any thoughts on this? (Pictures in hand would be welcome).

Thanks.
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

https://picasaweb.google.com/krislacy/F ... directlink

delica4 is below for size comparison.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Both small with wire clips but that's about where the similarities end.

The D'Fly is the folder when you want something so light you don't even know it's there. I have several different models. Don't know about the yellow. The H1 is appealing.

I have the original Cat in S30V and CF and it is a wonderful light saber in one of my all-time favorite shapes and sizes. The new model is 440C and G10.

The Cat is small but large enough to be an effective EDC utility knife. Not light as a feather as is the D-Fly and thicker, too with a liner lock. Also has a wider blade than the D-Fly and a larger Spydie hole.

Hope this helps.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
araneae

Post by araneae »

captnvegtble wrote:I've never held a dragonfly before, or a Cat for that matter. The thing I guess I'm most wondering about is ergonomics and that is a vey personal thing. Aside from steel type, handle material, color, etc. I'm most concerned about which knife is going to fit best in my hand and give me that "little big knife" feel. Any thoughts on this? (Pictures in hand would be welcome).

Thanks.
Both are very ergonomic, which is best for you can only be determined by holding them yourself.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

D'fly Salt
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Depends, do you have mice?
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

I have a Ladybug H1 hawkbill SE which I have been using for EDC. Have a Dragonfly H1 PE on order to round out my EDC. These will take the place of my Delica ZDP 189. As I am now retired these should suit what I want to cut. I enjoy the Ladybug as it suits me perfect for 90% of my cutting needs. Sweat through my clothes, and thought the Dragonfly would save cleaning and oiling of the Delica all for roughly the same weight and better size to comply 100% of my needs.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm a dfly fan myself. The g10 liner lock is way more classy tho.

Go with your own preferences, looks, etc. Spyderco makes a ton of knives that are "similar" because they have even more customers who have their own preferences.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Id say dfly salt because I want one. I have the dfly tattoo and I really like the grind on the h1 dfly