Introduction and Question (Para-Military 2)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Thedukeoftank

Introduction and Question (Para-Military 2)

Post by Thedukeoftank »

Hello,

My name is Wes and I'm a Spyderco fan. It's been a few days since I last purchased another Spyderco knife (ZDP Ladybug) ...

Joking aside, here is a bit about me. I have been a fan of knives for as long as I can remember. Though I only started collecting seriously in the past year or so, my tastes have refined quite quickly. Naturally, after my first Spyderco knife (FFG Delica), I knew that these knives were different from the rest. The quality honestly shocked me at this price point. I thought I had to spend $100+ from a few other "high end" manufacturers to get this same attention to detail. Now, A few thousand dollars and countless knives later, I arrive at today's question.

I ordered a Para-Military 2 (Camo/Satin) a few weeks ago knowing that the knife was on backorder. While I prepared myself for a decent wait for this knife, I still find myself checking the Cutlery Shoppe website in hopes that a shipment has arrived.

While I do have other blades that aid in my distraction for the time being, I decided to post my thoughts here. Anyone also share in my "waiting pain" :p ?
Also, is there any information on this production run?

Thanks for the read guys,

Wes
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Para2 in camo and satin is a regular production knife, so it will be produced as long as demand remains. It just so happens the Para2 is quite popular at the moment with demand far outstripping capacity, ergo there is backorder on all variations as far as I'm aware (though it looks like Knifecenter has the camo/black-blade in stock right now, but not the others). So you might have to wait, but at least you know that you'll eventually get yours since this Para2 isn't limited to a certain quantity. Hope that answers what you were looking for as far as the production run is concerned.

I feel your pain, however. Any time an Ed Schempp model comes out, the wait seems to take forever. I even had the original H1 Rock Salt, but was having a hard time waiting for the VG-10 Schempp Rock to arrive, and it's practically the same knife! (Got it now and love it!) Now the worst wait is for Ed's Tuff to come out, as that one is down the road a ways. Hopefully by the end of the year, but no guarantees.

Welcome to the forums and I expect you'll quite enjoy your time here!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I noticed that myself...I couldn't wait so I ended up going over to KC and ordering from there..lol.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sure I share your pain, I pre-ordered the Brown Millie almost 6 months ago. :)

Welcome to the forum.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
v8r

Post by v8r »

If you ordered it from Jeff, then you need not worry. He has always been great to deal with and his customer service skills are superb.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
jossta

Post by jossta »

Waiting for the M4 Millie took

Not as long as the XM-18, though. I was on the waiting list for that one for over 2 years.

The most painful though was the Para2, which is weird b/c I don't even have one yet. Between when the announced it and when it was released, I was going crazy. Took so long, that a lot of other things have gotten on the list ahead of it. Actually it was the M4 Millie that probably bumped it back for me.

I always expected to like the Para a lot more than the Millie, then it came and now I couldn't imagine giving it up.
aedmband21

Post by aedmband21 »

That's my favorite knife! It'll be worth the wait!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Duke,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx much for the interest and support.

The Para 2 has been somewhat popular since introduced. We make them as fast as we can without compromising quality.

al
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

CS is great and they have the best prices that I know of which is why they can't keep many popular models in stock. They carry a long list of backorders and I think they frequently don't receive sufficient knives from Spyderco in one shipment to completely fill all their currently pending orders for each particular model, so those models are always showing out of stock/backordered.

Another online store that probably has the model the op is trying to acquire in stock for immediate shipment for only slightly more than CS's great prices would be Howes Knife Shop.

I always try to order from CS but if it's a popular model that is not in stock at the time I'm looking to buy, then I usually order from Howes. If you want to do that, you can always email CS anytime before your order has shipped and cancel your backordered order, and then order from Howes if they have it in stock. And then you will have it in your hands in less than a week (probably 3 or 4 days). Btw, Howes prices include free shipping.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to either shop mentioned in this post. This is just my approach to getting regular production knives that are in the market at the best prices without having to wait too long.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
JimP

Post by JimP »

Welcome TDOT !

I share your "waiting pain" brother, I have a Sage 3 and a Para 2 CTS-20CP on the way and to say I'm excited would be an understatement!
Thedukeoftank

Post by Thedukeoftank »

Thanks for all the information guys!
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

The Para2 is a great knife and well worth the wait. It seems like time stands still when waiting on a new toy, (knife) but you ordered from the best place so you have nothing to worry about. Just hang in there and you will have one of the best knifes made by any company.
dmon

Post by dmon »

I agree with "mongatu". CS is great shop, and definitely one of my favorite places. BTW i just bought two knives from CS over past 5 days, and for sure will buy much more in future.
But i really don't see why anybody would want to wait for common production model on back order, while it is available from other good stores around. Para 2 truly is a great knife, and that is another reason to get it rather sooner than later :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome Wes. I have a Digi-Millie on order from CS. I have made two other orders from CS since then and they have been delivered in short order. I am not sure how many knives that CS gets from Spyderco. Maybe Sal can see that they get more, they are a great shop.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

jossta wrote:Waiting for the M4 Millie took

This made me lol. :D
Probably because I was also waiting, and waiting, and waiting...