Any news on the Pygmy Warrior?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BAL

Post by BAL »

gbelleh wrote:I'd like to see a folding Spyderco Hobbit Warrior. :D
+1 for sure
Fat Goat Forge

Post by Fat Goat Forge »

I think I shall get one of the FB when it comes out. I lost my beloved Gerber Mark II with serrations that I carried on my webgear while in the army. It was in my truck and disappeared a few years ago. This would make a nice replacement. I have a UKPK and like CTS-BD1. Looking forward to this knife.
George Spear
Fat Goat Forge
Master Farrier (horseshoer)
Apprentice Knifemaker

My Spyderco's: Delica Orange 4 FFG, Gayle Bradley C134CF CMP-M4, UKPK Maroon Drop Point FRN CTS-BD1, Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189.

On Order: Caly 3 Super Blue
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Since I've handled the original REKAT Pygmy Warrior prototypes, I'm anxious to see Spydeco's production version. Spyderco proto looks good! And yes, the Pygmy is a fixed blade version of the Pocket Hobbit.
JD Spydo

The Pygmy is great: How about a big Bowie?

Post by JD Spydo »

To me Spyderco's line up of fixed blades are right up there with 3 other major competitors I won't name for obvious reasons. The only void or empty hole in my fixed blade desires at this point is for Spyderco to come out with a big Bowie>> something along the line of the CS Trailmaster or the Fallkniven THOR.

I've had my eyes on both the aforementioned but I would gladly put off getting either of the 2 models if I knew that Spyderco had plans for a big Bowie of some type. And yes I'm aware of the Hossum models but that isn't what I'm hinting at.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
kens73

Post by kens73 »

I've come to the realization that I need this :D
Lost count ... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Super Blue Lover
BAL

Post by BAL »

defenestrate wrote:A folding Warrior as close to as functional as the fullsize FB as possible would be really incredible.
I am with you on this for sure.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Sal -

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!

Pigmy Warrior looks great. Believe I'll be buying one as soon as I know they are on the market.

I very much appreciate the design thought process you-all there have put into it.

FYI - I often travel to Colorado Springs for work. If possible I'll try to build in some time to perhaps come up to Golden and say hello if you are available/free. It's been many years.
GW
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

For those seeking training programs or tips of the trade regarding the AMK Warrior and its evolutions from REKAT and now Spyderco -

I strongly recommend Datu Kelly Worden's "21st Century Knife Combat Set" and/or "Urban Knife Warfare". The latter was, at one time, only trained to operators and support personnel at the Army's 1st Special Forces Group at Ft. Lewis, Washington. Extremely good material, concepts and information with high quality production and that "natural spirit" outdoors feeling :) .

It only makes sense that perhaps MJ is already planning to release a specialty training DVD in support of the Spyderco Warrior. If so it will greatly enhance the user's understanding of the design features and how to best utilize them when going kinetic. Maybe Bob Taylor will do a cameo appearence?

There is clearly some strong design features built into the Pigmy that will allow pressure point work, leveraging, nerve destruction and bone breaking. Nice compact package at a usable weight. The sheath will be, as always, key.

Neat stuff :spyder:
GW
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

For those seeking training programs or tips of the trade regarding the AMK Warrior and its evolutions from REKAT and now Spyderco -

I strongly recommend Datu Kelly Worden's "21st Century Knife Combat Set" and/or "Urban Knife Warfare". The latter was, at one time, only trained to operators and support personnel at the Army's 1st Special Forces Group at Ft. Lewis, Washington. Extremely good material, concepts and information with high quality production and that "natural spirit" outdoors feeling :) .

It only makes sense that perhaps MJ is already planning to release a specialty training DVD in support of the Spyderco Warrior. If so it will greatly enhance the user's understanding of the design features and how to best utilize them when going kinetic. Maybe Bob Taylor will do a cameo appearence?

There is clearly some strong design features built into the Pigmy that will allow pressure point work, leveraging, nerve destruction and bone breaking. Nice compact package at a usable weight. The sheath will be, as always, key.

Neat stuff :spyder:
GW
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Welcome Greg...

I am sure that all will appreciate your input...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Greg,

Anytime. Give me a head's up, I've been travelling quite a bit lately.

sal
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Hi, Sal -

Will do. August is booked up with travel elsewhere but I will be back in the Springs in October. Will coordinate with you as we get closer.

I have business in Idaho in August and if possible and Bob T is available/near by I may ask to stop by and say hello. Been about a million years :D

Any teaser projection on when Pigmy Warrior will become available? What a great name :spyder:

Blessings -
GW
sal

Post by sal »

They are working on them now.

sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Handled the prototype at BLADE and it is a good rendition of the Pygmy Warrior. Have a soft spot in my heart for the Warrior designs. Bought my 1st one in '95 on the recommendation of Greg Walker (good to see you Sir) at the Riddle of Steel. This is a size I could actually carry vs. the full size Warrior. A Spyderco Pocket Hobbit would be most interesting.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
sal

Post by sal »

We're in the process of "spyderizing" two of Bob Taylor's designs; the "pocket Hobbit" and the "Sifu".

sal
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Sal -

Both the "Pocket Hobbit" and "Sifu" will be instant winners coming off the Spyderco line, of this I have no doubt. Fun to see a "Hobbit Surge" taking place :spyder:

I always believed knives were meant, among other things, to be FUN 2. This is fun :) .
GW
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Halfneck wrote:Handled the prototype at BLADE and it is a good rendition of the Pygmy Warrior. Have a soft spot in my heart for the Warrior designs. Bought my 1st one in '95 on the recommendation of Greg Walker (good to see you Sir) at the Riddle of Steel. This is a size I could actually carry vs. the full size Warrior. A Spyderco Pocket Hobbit would be most interesting.
Ah, the Riddle of Steel :D . Glad the recommendation worked for you. Fighting Knives/Battle Blades sought, in earnest, to promote the Warrior often and in the best of lights as well as the "Riddle". I have only wonderful memories of attending the gathering on the Snake River. What a place to meet interesting and gifted people, cross hands and exchange Energy, learn new "stuff" and have fun doing it.

Blessings :)
GW
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Just got my Decker/Sandow Cobra utility knife. Outstanding evolution of the design concept and beautifully crafted. Very pleased with this little fixed blade in all respects and the dual sheath (Kydex/Leather) option is as good as it gets. Goes very nicely with my Makarov in terms of self-protection. Now to start saving up for the Pigmy Warrior when it becomes available :)
GW
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Pocket Hobbit and Sifu? I somehow missed this update before. Very interesting. Can't wait for more info on these!
:bug-red-white
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I really love the look of this knife. Hope it isn't too expensive!
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?