Spyderco G-clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Spyderco G-clip

Post by jackknifeh »

I just wanted to mention to anyone who doesn't know about the G-clip that attaches to belt sheaths that Spyderco makes. I've never seen it advertised and I think I found out about it on Vess Leatherworks web site. It comes with 2 screws/nuts to attach to a sheath but I've just used zip-ties so far. I have 3 of them. I like them because with them you can remove the sheath or put it on without unbuckling your belt. It can be attached to carry the sheath in any position you want. You need to call the SFO to order one.

Maybe it would cost more to advertise this thing than they would make selling them. If that's the case here is some free advertising. Good job Spyderco.

Jack
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

My only "frustration" with the G clips, if you want to call it that, is that they aren't on the SFO web site so you have to call to order them. I have added a few at the time of purchasing a Mule, for instance, to bump up the order total to qualify for free shipping.

They are quite handy, and not expensive as long as you are already ordering something else so you don't have to pay shipping for just a few light G clips.

Now I just need to get better at making the Mule sheaths to attach the G clips to.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I find that the one that came with my street beat is just far too tight. It is so stiff that I have to take my belt off to take it off. It's mostly easy enough to get on, but to try and remove it...just isn't very easy at all.
On the hunt for...
angusW

Post by angusW »

A post from Mike Sastre.
As someone who has a lot of experience using and making G-clips (about 20 years) and a little bit with the design of the Spyderco version, I've been keeping an eye on this thread and maybe should have weighed in a little earlier. Nothing wrong with Spyderco's G-clips. I'm using them a lot more than my handmades now. A lot of what causes problems with clips and sheaths cracking or breaking, is overflexing the material. Ever take a thin piece of metal and bend it back and forth 'til it breaks? Same principle. Now the G-clips are made to flex a little, as in ciiping them over pant, sweats, shorts, etc. and using them beltless (one of their advantages over TekLoks), but if you continuously overflex them (opening the clip too much), you'll get the same result. While you can clip it over thin, smaller width belts, I'd advise against clipping it over a double thickness 1.5" gun belt instead of threading the belt through the G-clip. Too easy to open the gap more than should be. I've got a little more bottom lip on my handmades to force people not to be lazy. As to washers, that's more a matter of preference, thickness of sheath material, and how the clip lays against the sheath. Some blade shapes are better with, some without. Too much of a gap between sheath and clip invites an opportunity for flexing to occur. When I use G-clips, I have the screw an post going through an eyelet rather than just a hole in the sheath material - reinforcement. Most of the time the washers aren't necessary, though I usually include them. If you want to carry IWB with a belt on, use the IWB loops as Mike Janich suggested. You can set and then keep whatever carry angle you want by adding a little clear nail polish or Loctite to the threads of the screw and post; also get the easy on/off without undoing your belt.
https://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?p=597564
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I have a love/hate relationship with the g-clips. They can be a pain in the arsh to take off so i have to slide them off my belt but they are easy to get on. Its not my favorite type of clip.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

A customer and even myself have had some issues with the G clips breaking...I sent those off to Sal for inspection and Spyderco shipped me out replacements...since that time the new clip has been holding up real good but I now thread my belt through it rather than clip it....All seems to be fine now....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

The Spyderco G-clips are tight on purpose. They give you a rock-solid foundation for your sheath on the belt that will not allow it to accompany the knife on the draw. We've all seen those cheap metal or plastic clips, that while they slip easily over any belt going on, will also slip just as easily back up when you go to draw your knife, bringing the sheath with it. Not a good thing to happen in critical situations. Same cheap metal and plastic clips tend to also slip a lot when you try the beltless option, while the stiff G-clip will grab the waistband of your sweats or running shorts, letting the knife come free from the sheath. If you absolutely have to have "easy-on, easy-off" belt carry, swap the G-clip out for a mini Tek-Lok; hole pattern fits both, but you will lose the beltless option. If you want "easy-on, easy-off" IWB with a belt, swap the G-clip out with an IWB loop with Pull-the-Dot Snap. Screw and post attachment makes both easy. This is the concept of adapting your equipment to do the specific job you want it to do, instead of expecting it to handle every possible situation. The more things you try to have one object do, the less it does any one thing well. The Spyderco G-clip gives you more carry options than other systems without sacrificing functionality and strength. I hardly do any of my handmade G-clips anymore, and use the Spydercos unless someone needs a specific belt width that they don't accommodate.
I am also another source for getting G-clips. I don't have a conflict with Blade this year, so plan on being there. I'll have a number of G-clips with me. Haven't seen Sal and company in person for a few years, so it'll be a good opportunity to do so.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much Jack and Mike.

We make them for our knives. We offer them to our customers more as a service than a model. Our G-clip was designed by Mike Sastre and he had many years of making them from other materials before creating our design.

sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Mike Sastre wrote:The Spyderco G-clips are tight on purpose. They give you a rock-solid foundation for your sheath on the belt that will not allow it to accompany the knife on the draw. We've all seen those cheap metal or plastic clips, that while they slip easily over any belt going on, will also slip just as easily back up when you go to draw your knife, bringing the sheath with it. Not a good thing to happen in critical situations. Same cheap metal and plastic clips tend to also slip a lot when you try the beltless option, while the stiff G-clip will grab the waistband of your sweats or running shorts, letting the knife come free from the sheath. If you absolutely have to have "easy-on, easy-off" belt carry, swap the G-clip out for a mini Tek-Lok; hole pattern fits both, but you will lose the beltless option. If you want "easy-on, easy-off" IWB with a belt, swap the G-clip out with an IWB loop with Pull-the-Dot Snap. Screw and post attachment makes both easy. This is the concept of adapting your equipment to do the specific job you want it to do, instead of expecting it to handle every possible situation. The more things you try to have one object do, the less it does any one thing well. The Spyderco G-clip gives you more carry options than other systems without sacrificing functionality and strength. I hardly do any of my handmade G-clips anymore, and use the Spydercos unless someone needs a specific belt width that they don't accommodate.
I am also another source for getting G-clips. I don't have a conflict with Blade this year, so plan on being there. I'll have a number of G-clips with me. Haven't seen Sal and company in person for a few years, so it'll be a good opportunity to do so.
Removing the sheath without unbuckling my belt was my first reason to look for something other than the belt loop on every sheath. The Spyderco clip is definately stiff when putting it on or taking it off. Personally I'd rather deal with that than the posibility of it coming off by accident. I did make one out of thin sheet metal and covered it with very thin leather but the metal was so soft that it did come off too easily. Also you can mount the clip holding the sheath in any position you want, even upside down. I'd like that I think if I had a sheath with a flap that closed and wouldn't open easily.

Jack
닭다리

Re: Spyderco G-clip

Post by 닭다리 »

Does anyone know the exact size and type of the two screws that attach the gclip to the Sheath for the Aqua salt?
Michael Janich

Re: Spyderco G-clip

Post by Michael Janich »

The standard screw supplied with the G-clip is an M3.5 metric screw. The threaded section is 10mm long and the head is a Torx T-10. Any M3.5 screw of comparable length should work.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike