Chinook I and II

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jossta

Chinook I and II

Post by jossta »

Hi all, I've been seeing a bunch of posts with the Chinook for some reason recently and they have me craving one.

I seem to remember everyone favoring the Chinook I for it's design and toughness, but then I saw a review where they mentioned some lock strength improvements that had been made on the II. I like the look of the Chinook I a little better, but am also left handed, so the clip options of the II would be good and I like the look of that one as well.

I have heard someone with both mention that the I had more blade play then the II, although that could just be manufacturing tolerances. Anyway, I just found a mint in box II for $75 shipped, so there's that as well...

I know there are threads on this already, but no recent ones (understandably), but figured I'd get some opinions. I think at that price, the II can't be beat. The only I that I found for sale was $215.

Cliffs: Originally wanted I, but found II for cheap, which do you prefer and why? Not really interested in the III.

Thanks
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Hello Bro,

I only own the Chin1 so I can't put in any real imput --- I did see a photo of the 1 & 2 side by side and the points of them differ , at least to my eye -- and you got a GREAT DEAL on that for $75 ---- I really NEED to shop where YOU shop !!! :D
jossta

Post by jossta »

Yeah, it's a surprisingly good deal and the seller has a positive trader rating with some good comments, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Only takes money orders though, so that means longer wait :( .

Edit: Just pulled the trigger, so I guess it doesn't matter. Still like to hear some opinions though :D .
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The II is a ton lighter. I would snatch that up in a heartbeat and then dance around the box like a herd of Oompa Loompa's when it arrives. :D
jossta

Post by jossta »

Blerv wrote:The II is a ton lighter. I would snatch that up in a heartbeat and then dance around the box like a herd of Oompa Loompa's when it arrives. :D
Lol, I'll dance around until my gf realizes I bought another knife and then kicks me somewhere that will probably make me stop :p
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Honestly, I've never held any of the Chinooks, so I can't really help ya. Just wanted to say congrats on what seems like an amazing deal!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
jossta

Post by jossta »

Thanks! I haven't either, but the Manix is my all time favorite and they're pretty similar. I also just got a Persian, which is now probably my 2nd favorite, so I'm thinking that a combination of the 2 has got to be something I'd be interested in.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have owned all 3 variations. The II is the best. The 1st model comes in 2nd ( tip down only), and the third model well........sucks compared to the other two models. The flat grind did nothing for performance.

$75 is a steal for the second model. I wish I owned a few more.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
jossta

Post by jossta »

Good to hear, thanks for the input.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i always thought the large manix was a beast of a knife until i bought a Chinook I. that knife is a tank, an Abrams at that. never owned a II so i can't comment on that one but $75 is a steal.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jossta

Post by jossta »

That's awesome. I can't imagine anything being beefier than the Manix, but I guess I'm going to find out soon enough!

This combined with my $80 Original Persian is making it the bargain month of the century.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Two is the bomb, next comes one which weighs in a little heavy.....III don't waste your time or money....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jossta

Post by jossta »

I like heavy things though. Heavy is good.

That's why I was leaning towards the I, but I think I made the right decision with the 2.

Doc,

Some of your posts about it from a while back are what had searching for a II in the first place.

Edit: namely the swan dive thread.

Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

I have a Chinook I and a Manix I and they are pretty similar in my opinion. The bladeshape is completely different ofcourse but the "tankness" and ergo's are the same.
Spyderco's owned: Worker, Police (9 different versions), Captain, ATR (2x), Endura, Tenacious, Gayle Bradley, Delica, Terzuola, Terzuola Jr., Ti Military, Lum Chinese (in Ti and black), Lum Tanto Ti, Lum Tanto sprint, ParaMedic PE, Manix I, Manix I sprint, Civilian, Spyderfly, Szabofly, Starmate, Navaja

Incoming : Manix I

Want: CF Police

Grail : Civilian PE
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Nice score! I have been meaning to look for one of the Chinook II's someday but the lil Temp trailing point has kept me contempt for now. My favorite Chinook is the I with/VG-10 :D
jossta

Post by jossta »

Thanks. Yeah, I would love to have a trailing point little temp.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I believe the 1 and 2nd model are the same as lock strength goes.......think of a Chinook 1 as a late 60s Corvette with a big block, it's got a beefy high performance engine. The Chinook II is like a 2011 ZR1 Corvette, even higher performance and less weight.Both are great but the Chinook II is higher performance by efficient design.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
jossta

Post by jossta »

Lol, that did not help me decide which I want, only made me want both more. Two of my favorite cars.

My uncle has a 67 Vette that I have yet to ride in. One day soon though, hopefully.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

jossta wrote:I like heavy things though. Heavy is good.

That's why I was leaning towards the I, but I think I made the right decision with the 2.

Doc,

Some of your posts about it from a while back are what had searching for a II in the first place.

Edit: namely the swan dive thread.

Ah...The famous Swan Dive Thread.....Doc ;) :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Whoever mentioned having a Chinook 1 and a Chinook 2, could you click some side by side pix and post -- I'd like to see what design variance may exist between the VG-10 Proto to the production line Generation One, and similarly from the one to the Two...

Just if someone is so inclined..(?)

Profile closed L & R, open L & R
I'll post later but in the mean time..(?)

/ SB