"Hard Use" knife standards/measurements

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:The problem there lies with what you're cutting and in what direction you're cutting. If it was that simple we would all be carrying exacto knives. Not all cutting is slicing...
Yeah those or straight razors or razor knives. LOL
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

My superleaf and chinook 3(my ZT 301 too) cut quite well after being reprofiled to 36 inclusive. They actually cut very well. I don't have to cut a lot of cardboard or tires with them though. But if I did, I'd use my thinner knives.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Ankerson wrote:Don't you believe it.....

I have a few thick bladed folders that cut like crazy and I am talking about .200" thick at the spine and they will either out cut or cut just as well as some others people talk about.

Knife design, blade grind and blade geometry can make a huge difference.

One of them is as thin behind the edge as a Military and the other is a lot thinner.

I have a Strider SmF that is Hollow ground and that is as thin as a Military behind the edge and it cuts extremely well and that is .192" thick at the spine.

There really isn't one answer, just have to pay attention to what you are buying, you can have both depending on what you choose to get.

The Spyderco GB is a nice example from Spyderco.
of course there are going to be exceptions to the rule, I am speaking in general terms.

For that thick slicer you have I am sure I have a thin one that cuts even better :p
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Evil D wrote:The problem there lies with what you're cutting and in what direction you're cutting. If it was that simple we would all be carrying exacto knives. Not all cutting is slicing...

Actually I wasn't trying to simplify it. I am just stating that its ironic that many knife enthusiast are more interested in "beating up" their knives than actual knife cutting performance
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dd61999 wrote: For that thick slicer you have I am sure I have a thin one that cuts even better :p
I'm sure that that is not even in question, but then your thin one can't both slice and take a beating(as well as the thick, robust one). But then maybe people who have use for thick, robust knives carry more than one knife? cough, cough...thick knife and slicer combo.... cough, cough.

Some may need to have robust knives and are just willing to sacrifice a little slicing performance for that need. Besides what can you cut with a thin knife that the thicker one won't?
dd61999 wrote:Actually I wasn't trying to simplify it. I am just stating that its ironic that many knife enthusiast are more interested in "beating up" their knives than actual knife cutting performance
Again, maybe people are interested in beating up their knives because that what their actual use entails. People don't use knives for the same things. You may have no use for big, beefy knives and those knives may be what others do need.
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

I am a toolmaker by trade and I have to say, it is more than a bit appalling to me what some people consider to be the legitimate use of tools. I've witnessed people who purport to being mechanical engineers using tiny screwdrivers as pry bars on giant parts. I've seen every imaginable sort of mischief perpetrated in the name of haste, very little of it defensible. This term "heavy use" is just foolish talk meaning outright abuse. I have little patience for people who abuse their tools. What is being bandied about here is just silly crap. Knives are made for cutting (mostly). They don't make good hammers or screwdrivers. A dragonfly will never double as a Samurai sword no matter your imagination and it won't be a Gayle Bradley or a Navaja either! Get OVER it people.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

grumpyphil wrote:Knives are made for cutting (mostly).
Well, isn't battoning cutting too? After all it is a method of separating material which is all that cutting is.

grumpyphil wrote: They don't make good hammers or screwdrivers. A dragonfly will never double as a Samurai sword no matter your imagination and it won't be a Gayle Bradley or a Navaja either! Get OVER it people.
I guess this thread is not referring to using dragonflies as katanas or even as GB's. It's about folding knives deliberately designed to take more than the usual cutting chores. For whatever the people who own the knives want or need them for.

It's like cars approximately. Cars are for locomotion(getting you from one place to another). Some have sports cars, some have electric cars, and some have monster trucks. Who really needs monster trucks? But we have them anyway.

Maybe YOU should get over it. ;)
unit

Post by unit »

Why do these always go this way?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I grew up using SAK's, and you all know how thin those blades are. Ive never broke one. I have nothing against thin blades, i just tend to prefer thicker blades especially if theyre FFG. I have broke a lot of tips though so maybe that has something to do with it. It all just comes down to what im cutting and even though i cut probably 90% corrugated, a thick blade hasnt hindered me any yet and i like knowing if i have to man handle my knife its unlikely to break. I guess ill give up a bit of slicing performance for peace of mind.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

unit wrote:Why do these always go this way?
It's the nature of the beast. :)

There were past threads that listed what qualifies as MBC rated:

"the rating is based on blade length (200 lbs. per inch of blade length)" as pressure is applied to the lock. Quote from Michael Janich.

MBC is really a term to replace "knife fighting" but it can be equated to mean "heavy duty." This is a summary of what Sal said in the past.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dd61999 wrote:of course there are going to be exceptions to the rule, I am speaking in general terms.

For that thick slicer you have I am sure I have a thin one that cuts even better :p
Now I have some thin knives too, very thin........ Less than .010" behind the edge and spine thickness around .137" and flat ground.

By reference Militaries are .025" behind the edge on ave.
EZ Bake

Post by EZ Bake »

Was just thinking that. Guess I didn't realize that this debate was as fierce here as it is at other forums. I figured with all of us being Spyderco-fans, there would be more respect for what a folding knife should/should-not be used for and that there are different folks all with different strokes.

Lets all step back from the keyboard and take a breath.
Pro-V

Post by Pro-V »

Isn't that just Phil living up to what is possibly the most appropriate screen name ever? :rolleyes:

Chuck, don't take the bait! LOL
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Pro-V wrote:I

Chuck, don't take the bait! LOL
Yeh, thanks Pro-V. :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

How come of late I miss these type of threads where I can get all heated and say sarcastic things, pick sides and start a fight....Well this one wasn't closed before I could get my 2 cents in...that's a plus...now If I could only remember what I wanted to rant about......hmmmm....well at least I got to post before the thread was closed ;) .....Doc :cool: :p :D :o
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ankerson wrote:Now I have some thin knives too, very thin........ Less than .010" behind the edge and spine thickness around .137" and flat ground.

By reference Militaries are .025" behind the edge on ave.
Guess we have different ideas of what thin is. To me, .137 at the spine is pretty thick. At .119, an Endura or Stretch is thinner than that, a Delica is right around .1, and the new Chaparral is .08 All those are thicker than my best Spyderco slicer, which is .051 at the spine. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:Guess we have different ideas of what thin is. To me, .137 at the spine is pretty thick. At .119, an Endura or Stretch is thinner than that, a Delica is right around .1, and the new Chaparral is .08 All those are thicker than my best Spyderco slicer, which is .051 at the spine. :D
Those are fixed blades with distal tapers that I was talking about and one of them is .105" thick at the spine by the handle with Distal taper and .009" behind the edge.
unit

Post by unit »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:How come of late I miss these type of threads where I can get all heated and say sarcastic things, pick sides and start a fight....Well this one wasn't closed before I could get my 2 cents in...that's a plus...now If I could only remember what I wanted to rant about......hmmmm....well at least I got to post before the thread was closed ;) .....Doc :cool: :p :D :o
I'll fight with ya doc. What should we argue about? How about serrations vs plain edge? :D

With the rate that this thread is leaving the original topic, I think we will be there soon.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

EZ Bake wrote:...Guess I didn't realize that this debate was as fierce here as it is at other forums....
Actually I wasn't really debating, just merely stating what I observed on various knife forums.

I don't dislike thick knives for hard use, as a matter of fact I own some and I even baton with them from time to time.

I just find it interesting that there are much more threads about hard use knives and very few on "razor cutting" knives

I think there is a tremendous satisfaction in cutting effortlessly. If your non knife aficionado wanted to borrow a knife from you to breakdown some card board because he knows your a knife enthusiast and wants to see what a really sharp knife is all about. Would he be more impressed with a thick knife like an Izula or a super thin and narrow filet knife with a scandi grind......

Maybe everyone should try both and see whats more satisfying

All I wanted to do was bring some awareness to the community. Because if you look at the market it is dominated by tactical and hard use knives. There are relatively flew impressive slicers when it comes to locking folders

I also wanted to bring awareness that you do not need to "baton" or "punish" your knives to accomplish the same goals while in the great outdoors

Matter of fact I wished I learned this on the forums years ago rather than learn it on my own.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

No reason to fight when you can discuss. :) I think we are all fairly civilized.

What it comes down to is different strokes for different folks. I don't prefer to have a 5oz+ knife in my pocket at all times. My tasks simply aren't rugged enough. Heck, I can't even chip reground ZDP-189 which as some say chips if you take it out of the box wrong. :p

My biggest problem with hard use knives is actually size and cost. They are either too big or too expensive. FRN Spyderco's with exotic steels fit the goal better, IMHO.