Best Survival Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DaRTH SfaRi

Best Survival Folder

Post by DaRTH SfaRi »

I did a search and could not locate a dedicated thread on a survival folder...so my question is...in a survival situation, lets say somewhere in a north american forest or similar, what would be an ideal spyderco folder that most ppl(scratch that) most knife enthusiasts would prefer to have at their side...now granted it would be nice to happen to have a fb like a bushcraft or etc...but for arguments sake lets say one is not around...also ive noticed that most survival tv series hosts almost always use a rock to hammer dwn on their blade like a wedge, obviously i would never do that normally but is there a folder out there that would have these traits? i.e. stretch native paramilitary serrated plain edge combo?
Perrin PPT*Tasman Salt*Leafstorm*Persistence*Kiwi SS Lockback*Stretch*Caly 3.5 Super Blue Sprint Run*Matriarch 2* SmallFly*Endura 4 FFG Orange*Schempp Rock*Endura 4 ZDP-189*
rycen

Post by rycen »

C95 manix
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

rycen wrote:C95 manix
Good one. I'd probably go with the classic Military. It's lighter to carry, still very strong, and the ultimate work knife. It has a great point for stabbing, great grind and belly for slicing and skinning, works great with gloves on and has a huge grip that provides great comfort over long periods of use.

However, as you said OP, a fixed blade is where it's at for "survival" type uses. For that, I'd probably go Temp. 2, Rock Salt, discontinued Hossom designs, or some big design from ESEE
GEC

Post by GEC »

I would pick the para military or maybe Manix 2 from spyderco. Only because I have handled each one one time or another. Both have open back design for ease of cleaning. Both have really good steel options that keep an edge and easy to sharpen on river stone. Both have excellent locks so you don't accidentally fold and cut off digits when you have to drill a small hole for a trap etc. Although I wouldn't go batoning with them for fire prep. Good blade and handle shapes for various grips and uses for bushcrafting.

I'm sure you'll have more knowledgable people recommend better spydercos or ever bring up better points on these two models.

I personally bring a multitool like the leatherman wave or a SAK for pocket knife and a chopper like small 19" hatchet for wood duty.
Regards
Gil
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Or the current iteration of the Manix (the Manix 2). What I like about the Manix is that the hold feels like a fixed blade. It's quite a design and a workhorse. I love the big heavy blade. I'd say that would be at the top of my list right now and the Para 2 as number two. The hold on the Para 2 isn't quite as good as the Manix. But it's darn nice and hard to say it's not a great knife too.
Slash

Post by Slash »

pocket machete?

rajah I

sorry, it's not a spydie and doesn't even have the hole.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've used the manix 2 to baton very successfully several times. Of course I didn't use a rock. I used a branch but it worked very well. I would trust my life with it. Never pushed my para half as hard as the m2. The C95 wouldn't be a bad bet if you van find one. Still waiting for that larger new manix to come out.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I think I'd go with the LionSpy with it's almost 3 3/4" Elmax blade which gives you about as much edge as a Military.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Tuff.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For me the Manix2, upcoming Tuff, or something like a SuperLeaf. If in crappy weather a Tasman SE or Spyderhawk is a pretty wicket cutter (assuming no batoning).
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: Definitely MANIX2 ;) . . . . It is an all round folder with stiff construction, a powerful CBL mechanism and a very secure allweather grip for all tasks :D . . . . :spyder:
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

I'd go for the Millie or the Manix 2 - I've given the Millie a pretty massive work out with no dramas at all.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Honestly think it's like asking "what's the best sports car for hauling lumber" but I'd have to rate the original Chinook as the toughest folder Spyderco has ever built. C95 Manix, Chinook II, and Chinook III would be tied for second place.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
v8r

Post by v8r »

While I love the Chinook series, I would pick the C95 due to having a leaf blade with a pointy tip. This would in turn make it easier to bore a hole in something if need be. It also has a very robust lock design and blade.

I would much rather have a fixed blade though.

Although super steels are nice the super hard ones may be difficult to sharpen in the field.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

What ever knife you have in your pocket when you suddenly find yourself in the survival situation. I would hope to have one of my Military C36 models. They all would do the job. I would likely have multiple cutting tool options from Spyderco on my person unless it was a plane crash then I'd be very unprepared.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jossta

Post by jossta »

Lol, ever since Lost, I carry a knife in my checked bag (Bradley, since it's the only one I have that's not a sprint or discontinued)...

Not that I'd ever expect to actually find my bag in the event of a crash.

Part of me would want a Resilience just b/c I can't imagine using such a nice knife as a Manix or Military to baton, but in reality, one of those is what I'd want.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I might go with the Manix 2 XL even though I haven't even seen a picture of it yet.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Besides my SAK that would be a Pacific Salt.

Easy to sharpen, maintenance free and **** near indestructable with normal use.

Doesn't break the bank as much either when lost or broken.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm changing my answer to the Gayle Bradley. With the thick liners and M4 it's probably one of (if not the) toughest Spyderco's built to date.
DaRTH SfaRi

Post by DaRTH SfaRi »

so besides the obvious pick which is a fixed blade which is definitely going on my "to own" list I'd say most would want a version of the Manix at hand...manix by a landslide
Perrin PPT*Tasman Salt*Leafstorm*Persistence*Kiwi SS Lockback*Stretch*Caly 3.5 Super Blue Sprint Run*Matriarch 2* SmallFly*Endura 4 FFG Orange*Schempp Rock*Endura 4 ZDP-189*