Best Survival Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flybittensavage

Post by flybittensavage »

Personally, I love these kind of threads. First, I'd hope to have an "expert" companion. My currently thinking is Les followed by Cody, Dave and Ruth (notice my intentional omission of both Mykel and Bear). That order could certainly flipflop entirely on an ever-changing mood, clothing requirements, or if the location of this scenario was pre-determined (desert/deserted island, Siberia, SE Ohio...) Anyways, moving on now to my Spydercos...

I'd pick my Barong first above others--large leaf blade, open design, vg10, easy to sharpen. Single handedly, I could protect my first-born son against two mountain lions at once with the Barong. And with the proper "waste nothing" mindset of a true survivalist, I'd make something special for me, Ruth and the kid with that very same blade. I have not done so (and I doubt that I ever will now that it's out of production), but I think--for small tasks--I could baton on the back of that large blade without even touching the handle or stressing the pivot and lock to failure points. After all, we're not worried about voiding warranties here. Out of my current-production folders, I might go with the Manix2. I could imagine lashing it to a straight branch while (attempting) small game or fish. With a solid lock up, thick blade, and a relatively thin and lashable handle, I suppose it would be up for light duty as a hand spear or projectile point from an atlatl. (predator defense? maybe not) It has a good point for removing splinters and marking off the passing of days in the flesh of my forearm. If that fails, I think it would still be a fine choice for committing suicide (although as a lifelong budoka, it just some how wouldn't "feel right" unless it was a Seki blade).

Going by "most often in the pocket" then that would be the Paramilitary2 for sure. Practical, decent belly, still usable point, almost always sharp and easy to touch up. It would be my personal preference for removing leeches from the genitals, filleting fish, and making fuzz sticks and cordage. If stuck between a rock and a hard place, I imagine the flat grind (good slicer) would be a better choice (neater? kinder?) for removing my entrapped arm or leg. I imagine the Manix would just be more brutal for that job--more blood loss and greater damage to the surrounding tissue that we're trying to salvage. Hernia repair or emergency appendectomy in the wilds with a Manix? Are you mad?

Finally, there's my Gayle Bradley--tough and suitable to most tasks, while not perfect. Retaining its edge in the field with whatever is available might be a bit harder. With existing patina, I wouldn't worry too much about rust (unless we're talking salt water here). It's the one I'd want to admire most under a full moon and have deep conversations with as I surely lose my mind and my grip on humanity on those cold, hungry and lonely nights when all hope is lost and I expect the next night to be my last. I imagine the carbon fiber slabs would look very pretty all coated and sparkling with ice crystals against my blackened appendages. "Why do men die, Bob?" ("They die of shame.") The GB is the knife I'd hope they would find in an abandoned bear cache along with my scraps--maybe a shredded tattoo here and there--some months later. Only the trees would bear witness to some stranger's brief eulogy (as he pocket my GB)..."at least this poor SOB had decent taste in knives." (Just imagine how disappointed he might be if he found a chunk of orange/black plastic with BG's initials in that putrid mess.)
RatDralX

Post by RatDralX »

cckw wrote:What is the difference between knife models? I mean really. 90% of the difference is shape isn't it? A few different handle materials, but mostly G10... stainless liners... and Mostly S30V steel. So in the end there isn't much difference from knife to knife other then shape, is there?
Thickness of the blade and strength of the lock are as important as the shape. Not snapping my blade, or cutting off fingers, is important :)

I would definately leave the military behind, even though I love mine, because the tip is just too thin to drill a hole in a piece of wood (if I'm lost with nothing but a knife, gotta make fire somehow, so bow or hand drill it would be). Gotta be a thick bladed knife with a sturdy lock and a spear point or leave shape blade.

Manix, Delica or Endura 4 please....

ETA: Batoning is mostly unnecessarry, and a great way to snap your most important tool in half. There is plenty of deadfall out there, and you can break it into usable pieces using the "Y" in any nearby tree.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome flybittensavage, nice post. (orange/black plastic with BG... Good stuff)
paladin

Post by paladin »

this one's a simple call...M4 manix
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

The copilot hands down.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

On the fact that there is no dedicated thread here for bushcraft with a folding blade, some of you folks in the States can take the initiative to make one.

I have seen on and off on other threads of how certain blades are used for cutting wood, field dressing and meal prep. But I have also not yet come across any one member posting shots and a review of how one single folder helped you to go about camping and hunting.

Perhaps areas like setting up camp, setting traps, hunting/fishing, field dressing and meal prep can be touched upon with basic in the field knife care. Now that would start a really cool trend.

The fact is that many of you would swear by the favorite Spydie by your side but without a good photo and review, others can't really gauge the field worthiness of a blade.

I would do one if I could but living over here, one has to get permits for everything. Not an easy task.

On the question raised, I will bet my money on the Millie, Para2 and Manix 2 XL. This is just a bet cos the most I have done is food prep thus far. In a few months, I will add the Tuff to this list too.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

For survival... whichever blade you happen to have on you at the time will surely be better than nothing. But for that reason and convenience I always have Swiss Army Knife nearby because they have an array of useful features like tweezers, toothpicks, saws, and can openers, etc...
flybittensavage

Post by flybittensavage »

BAL wrote:Welcome flybittensavage, nice post. (orange/black plastic with BG... Good stuff)
Thanks been a lurker for some time (just never took the time to register). Like some others wrote, I'm also looking forward to seeing the Tuff. Spyderco is just killing it with these new releases and refinements to existing models. They're making it hard for a man to stick to his budgeted knife funds.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It makes me so happy someone bumped the thread where we were talking about knife-fighting a bear. :D
BAL

Post by BAL »

flybittensavage wrote:Thanks been a lurker for some time (just never took the time to register). Like some others wrote, I'm also looking forward to seeing the Tuff. Spyderco is just killing it with these new releases and refinements to existing models. They're making it hard for a man to stick to his budgeted knife funds.
No doubt. I have holes in my socks covered by torn up shoes and have
an old 70's Bob Seger T-Shirt and ripped blue jeans, but by golly I have
some money saved for that there Tuff when it comes out.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Blerv wrote:The award for the most manly knife picture...goes to...

*drumroll*

THIS GUY!!! --------------------------------------------^
A bit oversharpened though :rolleyes: :D ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would have to opt for something that has a blade that's suited for skinning game, so a Military is out. The Lionspy would probably suffice. You could probably get it done with a TUFF too. You'd just have to come to terms with the fact that if you're truly out there surviving, it's not a good idea to baton with your folder regardless of how many people have done it without breaking something. The last thing you want is to break your most important tool. Besides, you can get by just fine without batoning, if you ever watch Survivorman, he very rarely has a fixed blade. Most of the time he only has the little blade on a Leatherman and he gets by just fine for a week (gonna be 10 days in this upcoming season). So, with batoning out of the picture, you really just need something that's well suited for food prep and making fires with, so actually i think a Junior might be a great knife for this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Tuff, para 2, Manix

Personally I would buy a strider smf
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

The Mentaculous wrote:Good one. I'd probably go with the classic Military. It's lighter to carry, still very strong, and the ultimate work knife. It has a great point for stabbing, great grind and belly for slicing and skinning, works great with gloves on and has a huge grip that provides great comfort over long periods of use.
IIRC, Sal (Spyderco) was once asked what knife he would send with his son into the military...and he replied a "Military."
And that's about as hardcore as you can get. You would use that knife to open MRE's, other tincans, digging up land mines, prying things apart, and maybe in hand-to-hand combat.

I have Para2's also, but I would suggest the Millie. Plenty of blade-steels to pick from. No doubt at all. I have a few of each.
Sonny
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

This thread made me laugh. I hope I never have to survive with a folder or run or not run from a bear. I feel confident in the Adamas, Manix 2 para 2 and even the native 5.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would hope I packed my double side pocket stone or else I'm going to be looking for a nice rock to sharpen my Superleaf or Military on.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

It's simple for me. Para 2 in M390.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Short of comic book scenarios, survival means constructing shelter, making fire, and finding water that won't make you sick. You then await rescue rather than using up all your precious energy wandering aimlessly about. A bigger knife would work better for making shelter so I would pick a Military in one of the better steels since I won't be sharpening it.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Before we pass judgement, let's not forget that a big cat was defeated with a Caly. Agree that it would be stupid to hunt a bear with a knife when there are better tools out there for the job. However, if it's only a knife and if one is caught between the bear and the deep blue sea, it would be wise to use the knife.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.