Another Para 2 convert....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KBR

Another Para 2 convert....

Post by KBR »

After owning a first generation Para and not taking a liking to it, I was skeptical about the Para 2 when I first heard about it. However, I just received a NIB, plain jane, Para 2 and could not be more pleased with the refinements....not even 24 hours in my pocket and it has become my favorite Spyder......for now. ;)

I LOVE this knife.

Thank you Sal, Eric, and Spydie Crew. :D :D :D

"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Yep. My Gray CTS-20CP arrived today. Thing is scary sharp. I really like the re-design. I think I'm going to order one of the plain jane ones next to actually use. I know this 20CP stuff can take a beating but I have a hard time dirtying up a sprint run knife.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

KBR

Post by KBR »

I have yet to try out any of those exotic steels, not even ZDP, but I'll get around to it one of these days. I figured the basic version would be the best place to start with the Para 2, being that the basic Military is my favorite as well. I love the design....IMO, this 2nd generation Para IS the premier mini version of the Military. The first had a little too much belly and not enough blade length for my tastes but not so with the new Para and the new ergos on the handle are perfect for my large hands. Sal and Eric really hit it out of the ballpark with this one. :cool:
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

TomH

Post by TomH »

I got my Para 2 just recently. Didn't really plan to buy one, but have been reading so many good things about it that I couldn't resist buying one. Now
I know why so many people like it. It's a fantastic knife!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I've grown exceedingly fond of my Para 2 as well. It has been my constant companion this spring--it is so spare and light. I love it.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I have to admit that I really disliked the Para 1 due to the end of the blade sticking out and the comp lock. I was uneducated and ignorant and only handled it once and passed judgement. When the reviews on the Para 2 refinements came out, it sounded like I should like it. I bought it and its one of my favorite Spydies now. Some times you gotta give something a chance (and have a little CQI).
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

The Para 2 and the regular Military are my 2 favorite knives - ever.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Because everyone likes it so much I'm really giving the para 2 some strong consideration for my next :spyder: . I just dont know if i want to spend that much.
Spyder Count: 7
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My grey Carpenter sprint came today. Perfect action out of the box. No break in required, like there was for my first Para2. Smooth as silk and sharp as a laser.

TedP
DasFriek

Post by DasFriek »

I hope you guys can help answer something for me.
While at my local shop they had a new plain Para 2 and i loved everything until i went to close it. The only way we could figure out how to do it was two handed.

Am i missing something or doing it wrong? I really liked everything else about the knife tho.
The Para 2 is a knife id like to own, But not so sure id be happy with its operation.
But something tells me i was doing it wrong.

BTW can someone point me to where i can snag the sprint if its still available?
Shike

Post by Shike »

Das:
From a normal grip, if you disengage the lock with your thumb, the blade will drop down and the choil will come to rest on your index finger.
Couple of them on E bay right now.
Shike

Post by Shike »

Congrats KBR!
DasFriek

Post by DasFriek »

Well, Thats how i was doing it the first attempt to close it. But felt it could be wrong or just dangerous doing it that way.
When i go back to the shop ill see if he still has a Para 2 and ill give it another shot and can get comfy with the blade looking like its coming down on my fingers. Even tho its not.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Congrats...I just got the Digicam/Satin Para2 not long ago and this thing is nothing short of perfect...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
KBR

Post by KBR »

Jonj480 wrote:The Para 2 and the regular Military are my 2 favorite knives - ever.
These two bugs are my favorites as well(besides my Sebenza).
Shike wrote:Congrats KBR!
Thanks!!
Shike wrote:Das:
From a normal grip, if you disengage the lock with your thumb, the blade will drop down and the choil will come to rest on your index finger.
Couple of them on E bay right now.
That is one way that I've found to close the CL, however, I simply pinch with my forefinger and thumb and let the blade either close itself(similar to how I also close the axis lock) or finish closing it once I see that the lock has been disengaged.

mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Most of the time, I also do the one hand pinch method of closing described in the previous post. Usually the blade just freely falls into the closed position. It's become almost effortless and fun. Just have to remember to keep one's fingers out of the path of the falling blade which quickly becomes totally automatic.

Opening is cool too. Usually I just grab it by the blade right over the hole and pinch the blade against the handle just so it moves past the detent which holds the blade closed. This is done with the knife held in the tip up position. Then with just a very slight motion to get things started moving, the handle gently falls open in a very controlled manner and the lock engages, all without putting any more stress on anything than the regular thumb opening method would.

Basically it's the easiest and most fun (and probably the quickest) knife to open and close I've ever owned. I'm sure there are lots of videos on YouTube showing how people open and close the knife.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).