Best knife for your off hand?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baconman69

Best knife for your off hand?

Post by Baconman69 »

Hey everyone, I've been looking for a new knife for my off hand. I'm right handed and usually carry endura sized knives for my right hand and I used to carry an endura for my left hand. Until I picked up a delica and dedicated it to left hand carry. I noticed that since it was so much smaller it was a lot easier to use. Anyway I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are. Like what size/model you like to carry for your off hand and why?
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

i personally like a small fb for my off hand, but more often than not just find myself carrying a folder like the para2 and a backup like a ukpk in my left pocket.

true off hand use would definitely be a fb for me though!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Blades

Post by Blades »

I carried a Chinook III off hand for a while, works just fine, over sized for weak hand manipulation. Now days I carry a JD Smith in my left front pocket. A little tougher to use, but I can get it ready when needed.
--Jason--
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

p'kal?
angusW

Post by angusW »

When you mean a knife for your off hand do you mean using it with your off hand or just carrying it in the opposite pocket to your strong hand?

For the last couple weeks I've been carrying a Tasman Salt se in my right pocket but with the clip setup for left hand carry because I still use it with my left hand.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I go flashlight in weak hand pocket. Some more MBC oriented folks put a kerambit there if they have trained in that type of methodology.

My typical setup (for right hand dominant) is:

left pocket: small flashlight
right pocket (main): large folder
right coin pocket: small folder (ladybug, spin, cricket, etc)
Baconman69

Post by Baconman69 »

When you mean a knife for your off hand do you mean using it with your off hand or just carrying it in the opposite pocket to your strong hand?

I mean for use with my off hand.

And the p'kal is an interesting Idea, something I'll definately try to look into.
ffbigdawg

Post by ffbigdawg »

I try to keep up a variety in my EDC rotation, but typically for my off hand I go with my trusty old SE Dragonfly. I usually try to keep my offhand (backup) knife serrated since my primary is usually plain or combo edge. Ofcourse that's all in addition to an IWB holster with a Glock or Smith & Wesson, A surefire light, and a spare magazine or speed loader. :D
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Swick.
A very secure grip with the finger hole and easy access.
masterofmonkeys

Post by masterofmonkeys »

ooh good question. I use a barong in my dominant hand. I've practiced with it in offhand---and the cuts all over my knuckles show it lol. Too big. Except for the fact that the Lum Chinese in no way offers anything resembling positive retention characteristics (especially Ti), it works well in the off-hand. I like the kerambit idea and my SPOT works great in the off-hand, but it's a pain in the butt to carry without a good in-pocket sheath.

disclaimer: I am in no way an MBC expert.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

waved spyderco or a kabar tdi
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

Two Mules in a double Mercharness.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Wouldn't any knife you are comfortable with in your strong hand be comfortable in your off hand. The knife would need to have a lock that is operated the same from both hands but that is the only problem I see.
Spyder Count: 7
Saralach

Post by Saralach »

Liking the PE delica so far as a lefty. Thinking about getting a SE delica for the right. Except for writing, I'm ambidextrous. So for me, knives of the same size can be switched out to whatever side they're needed and I know them as an extension of my hand.
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

I carry a Leatherman Wave clipped in my offhand pocket and use it very frequently. although I typically transfer it to my strong hand when using it, I do use it in my offhand on occasion and have to open the knife blade with my index finger :) . Usually when I pull out the wave it's not because I need a knife. That's what the spydy in my strong-side pocket is for :D
Mark.

'Just one of God's Critters.' :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

I always have an Insight HX flashlight in my off hand pocket, but also carry a smaller type PE there as well. Just in case my strong (right) is busy or full and I need to defend myself or do some worK. The Native is an easy opening knife, as is the Delica or Endura.
If I am doing rough work, I will have a Tenacious PE on the left side. The advantage of having several knives is the options that it gives. I too have thought about the P'Kal, but I can't decide on that yet. Quite a few coins for just a possibility. The new Para has been grabbing my attention lately.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Oh and like Big Dawg noted, I ALWAYS have my trusty Glock with me, and sometimes a spare for my other off hand.... How many hands is that now,... need another hand.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Spyderhawk SE.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Mano

Post by Mano »

HAK (HideAway Knife)?, it even lets you use the hand its on, this is tailored to your own hand, you have to send measurement of your index and middle fingers together before you order.

Utility V2 version is more affordable than the others, i put the interrogation mark because it sounds good in theory, but i havent tried one yet.

Anyone has any experience with it?, should i start saving for the utility version?
KBR

Post by KBR »

Blerv wrote:.....My typical setup (for right hand dominant) is:

left pocket: small flashlight
right pocket (main): large folder
right coin pocket: small folder (ladybug, spin, cricket, etc)
This is my usual carry as well, however, I do also carry a SE Jester on my keychain(clipped to belt loop) with my Fenix EO1 in my left pocket. And my small folder is ALWAYS my SS Cricket SE. :cool:

I've found that I can easily access pretty much any spydie with my off hand, thanks to the Hole. :D
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...