PPT is just a copy!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pjpockets

PPT is just a copy!

Post by pjpockets »

If you think the French guy is a great designer, just look at the PPT, and then look at the David Mosier Trigonaut. Not a good job Spyderco in supporting a French thief. I bought the knife anyway because I love the MOSIER design, but come on Perrin, get real!!!!!!!!!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Bravo. A fine display of ignorance, arrogance, rudeness and libel.

Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

I have them side-by-side on a 42 inch screen here. Blade shape is different, handle has different angles but has a similar texture, one's a full tang fixed blade versus a folder. Fundamentally the PPT features a gentle inward curve, possibly derived from most fencing grips. The custom you're citing curves outwards, lifting the blade into a more positive angle. Also, the PPT is a shaved modified Wharnecliffe with a hollowed resting area for the thumb, the custom has a similar edge profile but is adorne with a large false edge across the back along with a thumb ramp.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Wow! They even copied the hole from the Mosier logo!
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMO, the PPT looks about as much like that FB as either of them look like Jen Anso's Rock Lobster. If you post your location, am sure someone here can recommend a good optometrist.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Not only that, but the Centofante 3 is a complete ripoff of a Buck 110! Scandalous, I say!

:eek:
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

pjpockets wrote:If you think the French guy is a great designer, just look at the PPT, and then look at the David Mosier Trigonaut. Not a good job Spyderco in supporting a French thief. I bought the knife anyway because I love the MOSIER design, but come on Perrin, get real!!!!!!!!!
I'd bet if you were bright enough to ask Mr. Mosier he would dispute your claim. Now why don't you just crawl back down into your troll hole?
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

The idiocy of some people is astounding.
unit

Post by unit »

Lot of people passing gas on crowded elevators lately...oh yeah, schools are letting out for summer! I almost forgot.

To the topic at hand...Yes, both knives have black handles, presumably sharp edges, and modified Wharncliffe blade shapes...yup dead ringers!

In fact, my custom is also a total rip off of this design!

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah...not so much. I will say that is a fantastic looking knife though...i love the blade shape.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
angusW

Post by angusW »

I can't tell them apart. Which one is which? :confused: :D
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

they totally ripped off the lanyard hole location, too. shameless.
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

I bet Perrin put that useless fake "lock thingy" in his PPT just to stay out of court :eek:

But I REALLY DO like the blade shape of the Mosier over the PPT.
neuron

Post by neuron »

Sequimite wrote:Bravo. A fine display of ignorance, arrogance, rudeness and libel.
I'd say this sums it up perfectly.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Yep, they're both knives.
Shike

Post by Shike »

pjpockets wrote:If you think the French guy is a great designer, just look at the PPT, and then look at the David Mosier Trigonaut. Not a good job Spyderco in supporting a French thief. I bought the knife anyway because I love the MOSIER design, but come on Perrin, get real!!!!!!!!!
Know your facts before coming here with 2 posts just to blast Spyderco. Here you go. The original knife was made by French knifemaker Sacha Thiel. If you go to his website you will get an idea. This is where the idea for the PPT came from.
T-Wan wrote:Actually those pictures are mine (2 top ones) and this knife is my EDC for already several months now. Pics were stolen from me without permission but nevermind, I'm glad they are shared here and I think my friends Fred, Philippe and Sacha wouldn't mind about it.

The original PPT design and sepcs are from Fred (Perrin), with suggestions of his close mate Philippe Perotti. Fred asked young (and talentuous) knifemaker Sacha Thiel (I formely commissioned him on a collaboration knife on a balisong I designed few years ago), and that explains the finish don't look like the usual Perrin style... (though Fred is able to come with some gorgeous and very neatly finished pieces from time to time... ;) ).

Thus, the acronym PPT stands for Perrin - Perotti - Thiel.

OK now here are some additionnal pictures.

Adding a Spyderco Lum Chinese, for size comparison :

Tuan
The Mosier knife pictured above is now in production by Boker and can be found here
http://www.osograndeknives.com/Boker/BK-02BO280.htm
KBR

Post by KBR »

Shike wrote:Know your facts before coming here with 2 posts just to blast Spyderco. Here you go. The original knife was made by French knifemaker Sacha Thiel. If you go to his website you will get an idea......
I noticed that as well, Shike.....he has only 2 posts from which there is nothing beneficial to anyone here on the forums. Some people are so starved for attention that they intentionally post about things they know absolutely nothing about.....just so someone will acknowledge their existence. :rolleyes:

pjpockets, you have a choice to either be a productive member of the Spyderco forums, or be banned from here for being a troll.
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
Shike

Post by Shike »

KBR wrote: pjpockets, you have a choice to either be a productive member of the Spyderco forums, or be banned from here for being a troll.
Amen!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Thanks for the laughs, fellas.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

do your research before you post. MIGHT give you something intelligent to say next time