Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shike

Para 2

Post by Shike »

JUst got my first Paramilitary. Something always kept me from buying one of the older models but the II has the features that I wanted. I must say it is my favorite Spyderco to date (and the Kiwi).

pl4stic

Post by pl4stic »

The Para 2 is a great knife, one of my favorites too. I never got the first one either.

Nice mod on the end of the edge. Did you do that yourself?
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

what is it about the original paramilitary you didn't like? I just bought one today as well as the gray sprint para2. Both are my first paramiltary. Just curious.
Shike

Post by Shike »

JCP1969 wrote:what is it about the original paramilitary you didn't like? I just bought one today as well as the gray sprint para2. Both are my first paramiltary. Just curious.
The tipdown carry was the main drawback, I also disliked the sharp angle protruding at the end of the blade when in the closed position. All the main improvements listed in the catalog as the bushing pivot,etc. were also a convincing factor.
Shike

Post by Shike »

pl4stic wrote:
Nice mod on the end of the edge. Did you do that yourself?
Hi! Yes, I did.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I love the PM 1. I have a PM2 coming so I will know when it gets here.

BTW, in hawaii, a flower in the ear means a girl is available. Is your PM available? ;)
Shike

Post by Shike »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I love the PM 1. I have a PM2 coming so I will know when it gets here.
Then you will be super happy with the II.
chuck_roxas45 wrote:BTW, in hawaii, a flower in the ear means a girl is available. Is your PM available? ;)
:) That would be a no. :D
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: Congrats on your new PM2 . . . . It is an excellent SPIDIE . . . Use it well :) . . . . :spyder:
Shike

Post by Shike »

Thank you STAK!
KBR

Post by KBR »

Shike wrote:.......Something always kept me from buying one of the older models but the II has the features that I wanted......
I highly agree. The first generation Para wasn't too much to my liking, however, I do find the features of the Para 2 design to be more like the Military's little brother(which it is supposed to be), and I also believe that this one will definitely be a keeper. :D

I have recently traded for the plain jane, satin blade/black G10 NIB Para 2 and will hopefully have it in my hands on Monday.....the waiting is the hardest part. :(
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Congrats, the Para 2 is a great knife; it solves all the problems I had with the first Para (no lefty clip options, exposed tang when folded).
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
legoman0721

Post by legoman0721 »

Everytime I see a Para 2, I want it! Looks like a great knife. :D
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

I just got my first Para 2 yesterday. Even though I've heard only positive things about it for months, it still surprised me how well everything works. The blade is one of the smoothest opening I have, the lock disengages very easily, and everything is super light and ergonomic. Great knife.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Imo, it most certainly IS a great knife that is available at a great price considering the design, materials, quality features and ergos. I like it so much I have 3 of them, including one of the Gray Carpenter steel sprint models which I'm expecting to be delivered today or Monday at the latest. Very excited to start using that one as my main EDC.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'm another that didn't really care or the PM1. It just wasn't everything the "little Military" should've been in my opinion.

The PM2 looks a lot closer to the Military. As a bonus for me, it's coming in what should be an excellent Carpenter steel. Mine should arrive next week an I'm almost as excited for this as I was the Ti/G-10, M4 Military...and that's saying something.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I really like the Military also but one of the differences I've noticed lately that I really appreciate about the P2 is that the blade is considerably thinner at and near the edge. I have my Millie and my P2 bevels at 30 degrees inclusive and on the Millie it feels fairly thick behind the edge which has a noticeable effect on slicing. The P2 being thinner behind the edge slices better.

I'm wondering if I should try a using a lower angle like maybe 12 degrees per side for the Millie so it would be a bit thinner above the edge?
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
spydusse

Post by spydusse »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I love the PM 1. I have a PM2 coming so I will know when it gets here.

BTW, in hawaii, a flower in the ear means a girl is available. Is your PM available? ;)
I will never forget,thank you. I can't wait too go to Hawaii now
Shike

Post by Shike »

Thanks for the replies guys! I am really digging this knife. My main EDC for the past couple of years has been a large Sebenza. Couldn't get away from it, nothing else was even close, imo. Since receiving the Para 2, I put the Sebenza away and so far I don't feel like I am missing out on something. Don't get me wrong the Seb is still number One in my book but darn this Para is sweet :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

spydusse wrote:I will never forget,thank you. I can't wait too go to Hawaii now
Good luck and have fun! And it's the ones with the flower behind the right ear that who are single, IIRC. :D
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Congrats!
I have a Para 1, didn't see the need, I may change my mind.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white