Can't Get this Pic of SouthNarc's Knife Out of my Head!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

uhhh Doc, you take the Northeast and I take the Southeast!LOL ;)
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Almost certain that this isn't a true "full tang" design. They probably cut a piece of steel to mate with the locking and pivot area. Really close, but not quite the same as the pics show the original folder blades.

I'm pretty certain that the knife in the OP would be "easiest folder-to-fixed knife design ever" in the grand scheme of things. You have the blade and scales already designed for the CNC and laser cutter, you can use the screw holes and pivot for the pins, you have the material selected for the blade. Give it a smaller SpydieHole, add some spacers, and maybe round off some slightly thicker scales a bit and you're ready to roll.

Looks like a winner to me! :cool:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Dunno If it's full tang...that's a question for SouthNarc...but it sure is sweet....and I want one or two....Doc ;)

Stonyman you can have the Southeast...I'll take the Northeast, Mid- Atlantic, North and Southwest areas....you can have Canada and Mexico as well....Good luck finding one....LOL...Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
LAB

Post by LAB »

That's one of the goofiest looking knives I have ever seen. But that is just MY opinion.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

LAB wrote:That's one of the goofiest looking knives I have ever seen. But that is just MY opinion.
LOL...Don't mean to be condescending but many a spyderco looks goofy....Guess you would have to be schooled in it's uses to fully appreciate what you are looking at... ....IMO it's beautiful.... ;) Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

LAB wrote:That's one of the goofiest looking knives I have ever seen. But that is just MY opinion.
It's a purpose driven design and for the purpose, that shape and geometry seems to be the optimum configuration.

A basic overview of the applications of this knife shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sk7B-XX ... re=related
LAB

Post by LAB »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:It's a purpose driven design and for the purpose, that shape and geometry seems to be the optimum configuration.

A basic overview of the applications of this knife shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sk7B-XX ... re=related
Yes, I was looking only at it's asthetics and not its intended purpose. No offense intended.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

LAB wrote:Yes, I was looking only at it's asthetics and not its intended purpose. No offense intended.
None taken. :D
newtothis

Post by newtothis »

Very Cool
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I love it aesthetically, and I find the clip/pocket sheath quite innovative. If it were integrated into virtauy any other fixed blade, it would be brilliant.

But considering the speed and reliability of the waved pkal, I'm not sure what the real advantage is here from a tactical standpoint. If the goal of the pkal was a low footprint backup or primary weapon for undercover lawenfocement, wouldn't such a larger and elaborate fighting system draw unwanted attention?

As a boot, belt, neck knife it would make plenty of sense, but having a visibly exposed, bulky pocket system dosnt seem "worth the squeeze" to me compared to the already superb and field proven Pkal folder.

This is not intended as a criticism of the design, and the knife itself looks totally badass, I just don't understand the logic of the pocket carry system.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

mark greenman wrote:I love it aesthetically, and I find the clip/pocket sheath quite innovative. If it were integrated into virtauy any other fixed blade, it would be brilliant.

But considering the speed and reliability of the waved pkal, I'm not sure what the real advantage is here from a tactical standpoint. If the goal of the pkal was a low footprint backup or primary weapon for undercover lawenfocement, wouldn't such a larger and elaborate fighting system draw unwanted attention?

As a boot, belt, neck knife it would make plenty of sense, but having a visibly exposed, bulky pocket system dosnt seem "worth the squeeze" to me compared to the already superb and field proven Pkal folder.

This is not intended as a criticism of the design, and the knife itself looks totally badass, I just don't understand the logic of the pocket carry system.
I'd take a fixed blade over a folder for SD anytime. And I do find pocket carry for a small to medium FB quite convenient.
SPROGGY

Post by SPROGGY »

It would be a dream come true if spyderco produced something similar. I own 5 P'kal folders as of right now and most assuredly would purchase at least 2 of these. I carry a pkal every day on duty but Im constantly wishing I had a fixed blade version. Unfortunately the shivworks disciple is hard to get a hold of.

However, Southnarc himself stated that the blade geomtry of the p'kal was superior to the shivworks offerings anyway. That being the case I would be ecstatic if Spyderco decided to produce a pikal fixed blade! I have no doubt they could produce a blade of extreme quality at a great price point. As for the knife pictured.... The design of the knife and sheath were specifically tailored to meet the criteria set forth to carry a blade in Germany.
Proud Owner of 5 :spyder: P'kal Folders....and counting...

Anxiously awaiting a :spyder: pikal fixed blade!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

SPROGGY wrote:It would be a dream come true if spyderco produced something similar. I own 5 P'kal folders as of right now and most assuredly would purchase at least 2 of these. I carry a pkal every day on duty but Im constantly wishing I had a fixed blade version. Unfortunately the shivworks disciple is hard to get a hold of.

However, Southnarc himself stated that the blade geomtry of the p'kal was superior to the shivworks offerings anyway. That being the case I would be ecstatic if Spyderco decided to produce a pikal fixed blade! I have no doubt they could produce a blade of extreme quality at a great price point. As for the knife pictured.... The design of the knife and sheath were specifically tailored to meet the criteria set forth to carry a blade in Germany.
Yep Spyderco needs to do this for sure...at least set a standard for the industry to measure for what a good production FB Pikal should be....Doc :D

Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

mark greenman wrote: But considering the speed and reliability of the waved pkal, I'm not sure what the real advantage is here from a tactical standpoint. If the goal of the pkal was a low footprint backup or primary weapon for undercover lawenfocement, wouldn't such a larger and elaborate fighting system draw unwanted attention?
The key thing to understand is that it came from a German knifemaker. Several years ago, Germany passed a law that technically prohibits one-hand-opening lock-blade folders. However, carry of fixed blades of a reasonable size is still allowed.

This expression of the P'Kal is ideal for the German market. Carried completely hidden in the pocket, it's also great for non-permissive environments where an exposed clip is frowned upon. I used the same sheath concept on the Covert Response design (if you're curious about the knife, here's a link to a pic: http://davesknifeworld.com/browseproduc ... -Edge.HTML) I did for Combat Elite (a partnership between Ryan Wilson and Darrel Ralph) a number of years ago. I've also seen and made custom Kydex rigs that allow carry of an open folder in the pocket by the same means. This method looks like a standard closed folder, but for people with arthritis and finger dexterity issues, for whom one-handed openings are a challenge, it works great.

For the record, I'd love to see Spyderco do something like this as well.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Ok MJ take your record down the hall to Papa Spydie's office and get it going! :D
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Thanks Mike, that makes perfect sense then. I was unaware of the German laws, and upon reflection that seems like a good system for simarly draconian environments such as new York city.

I had been looking at it from the viewpoint of an area where waved folders were more legal than fixed blades, or as a semi-hideout weapon for law enforcement.

But with this new info I was clearly wrong is my conclusion.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

stonyman wrote:Ok MJ take your record down the hall to Papa Spydie's office and get it going! :D
+1...+1....+1....Doc :D

SPROGGY

Post by SPROGGY »

Michael Janich wrote: For the record, I'd love to see Spyderco do something like this as well.

Stay safe,

Mike
There you have it! Both Southnarc and Janich are on board with the project so how about it Sal? I would be forever grateful!
Proud Owner of 5 :spyder: P'kal Folders....and counting...

Anxiously awaiting a :spyder: pikal fixed blade!
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

The best part? Mr. Janich can literally twist Sal's arm if he has to! ;) :D
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

stonyman wrote:Ok MJ take your record down the hall to Papa Spydie's office and get it going! :D
Unfortunately, it's not that easy. At any given time, Spyderco has more projects in the works that any knife company I know. The decisions that determine what gets done first, what gets done later, and what doesn't get done at all are not as easy as they may seem--especially when you have so much cool stuff to choose from.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts