rock salt - help a dumb future wife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
teisen1

rock salt - help a dumb future wife

Post by teisen1 »

So future husband and I are getting married end of may and he has been aching for the rock salt like no tomorrow so I wanted to get him one as a gift at the wedding. and of course, can't find the rock salt anywhere. **** you internet! anyone looking to sell theirs or can point me in the right direction?
(sorry, just looking for some help)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

First of all you are not dumb. It's confusing as **** for avid fanboys even. :p

The Rock Salt was discontinued a couple years ago and since then become a bit of a Holy Grail for knife fans. You can find them on eBay at atrocious prices.

A better solution might be the Spyderco Schempp Rock:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... SPFB20FPBK

Available for pre-order depending on when you need it. I would think a couple months at most. The cool thing is he would have one of the first Schempp Rock's ever and you actually put in a pre-order!

Original Rock Salt:
* H1 (rust proof) steel with a shallow grind
* Expensive (around $250-300 +/-) probably

Schempp Rock:
* VG-10 a premium stainless steel with a full flat grind (favored by most knife snobs)
* Give/take $150 depending on where you look. You might even contact a place like Cutlery Shop.

If you can find a Rock Salt he will be in love but they are unicorns to some degree. The new knife is for all intensive purposes the same thing but cheaper and available. If he does a ton of saltwater work the VG10 one will rust if neglected but it is a VERY high quality stainless steel.

Hope that did more to help than to confuse. :(

Note: I would contact Knife Center and get a general idea. Explain the situation...maybe they can give you a rough idea on timeline. If not you could find out another one of his knife lusts...if he likes the Rock Salt I'm sure there are others on his radar. :)
teisen1

Post by teisen1 »

Thanks for the help! Sorry, I'm just used to LS1 forums where they yell at new people looking for help. I ordered it from a store yesterday who said they had it in stock, I even called, only to get my money refunded and now, of course, it just disappeared. That one was $296. I did find it on country knives http://www.countryknives.com/store/prod ... ku=FB20PBK for $380 (haven't called to see if it's actually in stock though. I'll look into the other knives you mentioned, but I'm stubborn and looking for that holy grail! Thank you again!
teisen1

Post by teisen1 »

Upon clicking, the link you sent with the schemp rock is very similar. I'll have to consider that if I can't find the rock salt.
phaust

Post by phaust »

teisen1 wrote:Upon clicking, the link you sent with the schemp rock is very similar. I'll have to consider that if I can't find the rock salt.
It's the same knife with a different steel. The original's steel was rustproof, but the new one will stay sharp longer. Unless he wants the original for being rustproof, the second one is probably a better choice.
teisen1

Post by teisen1 »

phaust wrote:It's the same knife with a different steel. The original's steel was rustproof, but the new one will stay sharp longer. Unless he wants the original for being rustproof, the second one is probably a better choice.
Thanks! i had just never seen she schempp rock before so didn't know much about it. It's so similar. I just e-mailed knife center and am awaiting a reply to see if it can be shipped and in my hands by the wedding.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

*Edited*
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

You might want to try contacting Classic Cutlery if you need one ASAP. They have a fairly decent price on the H1 version and they show it as being in stock.

http://www.classiccutleryusa.com/Mercha ... gory_Code=
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As noted by others, the Schempp Rock is identical to the Rock Salt aside from steel and markings. The only caveat is that it has not yet started shipping and, while it would appear Spyderco plans to ship it sometime this month, their release dates are not guaranteed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The one from Country Knives should be in stock. They keep discontinued knives around a LONG time because they charge full MSRP. I guess in the grand scheme of wedding presents it's not that expensive. Talk about a funny cake cutting picture. :p

The Schempp Rock is the second version of the original. As mentioned different steel with a different grind but if you can get one in time it should make him very happy. Most people here with Rock Salt's are tempted to buy one too! :cool:
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

So how did it work out for you? Did you buy the one at country knives that was posted? I hope you found what you want. Also, good for you venturing onto a knife forum in search of your fiances gift. Don't know many who would put that kind of due diligence in! Well done!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
teisen1

Post by teisen1 »

I had a private seller on here contact me for a used one. Contacted knife center about a shipping date and waiting for a reply. Country knives has it as well. I have options. Don't know which one to go with! I'm guessing the original rock salt will last longer being rustproof. The one from country knives is more exPensive than the private buyer. What would you guys suggest to do?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's up to you, but unless the private seller is someone you know and trust, there's always the chance of a scam. Country Knives is expensive, but honest as the day is long and there is something to be said for new, and for getting your future hubby what he really wants. On the other hand, if money is an issue, and Knife Center can assure you they can have it in your hands before the wedding, it's certainly an option and, unless you live someplace with high humidity and salt air, the VG-10 Rock will probably last just as long as the Rock Salt.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Depends if your husband is looking for a user or a safe queen. If he wants to use the knife, I would go with the private buyer. You can send it in to spyderco for sharpening and cleaning for about $5 (I think) and it will come back to you in a few weeks looking brand new. That's what I would do...
teisen1

Post by teisen1 »

He'll definitely be using it. I'm not sure if my messages to the private seller are going through, when i click the sent folder it says nothing is there. I asked him for pictures and if it comes with the sheath.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Deacon made a good point about the private seller. Look for things like post count, join date, friends, etc to see if the person is a real contributor to the forums or has 2 posts and joined this month. That's what I do and it hasn't failed me yet! (FWIW I truly believe that a very very high percentage of people on this forum are honest and trustworthy)
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Your PM sent, the sent folder icon doesn't show it (same thing for me and many others when we PM).
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm with Paul.

Private sellers are normally fine but this forum isn't set up for independent sales (feedback system, insurance, etc). I would lean towards a place like Country Knives or a Schempp Rock preorder if it can be had by the end of the month.

In fact, you might even check the return policy for Country Knives. Buy the Rock Salt and preorder the Schempp Rock. That way you are covered either way for a restocking fee worst case scenario.*

* Do check the store's return policy though! Giving him TWO knives would set the bar way too high. :p
teisen1

Post by teisen1 »

Haha! I usually get him car parts, that I'm safe with. He can just get one knife :P since his birthday is a week after the wedding and im going to pay to get his racecar painted for that so he'll be happy with one knife. I think I'm going to do exactly what you suggested and do both. The country knives price isn't significantly more expensive than the private seller, plus they offer peace of mind because it's new and it's a company.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Teisen1,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Congrats on your wedding. Hope all goes well.

Hey Paul,

The Schempp Rocks are here and should be shippinbg soon.

sal