Manix m4???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Manix m4???

Post by Popsickle »

is it just me or did bento box shop NOT sell out of the manix m4? i visited their website and its gone from a "preorder" tab to an "add to cart" tab....
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think they are on run # 2. Maybe they have an excess. Great knife, people should jump on it :) .
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Blerv wrote:I think they are on run # 2. Maybe they have an excess. Great knife, people should jump on it :) .
i agree makes me want to sell mine for 225 and buy another one for 150 lol
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I am not a Manix fan but for that price it would be worth buying just to resale. If i had the extra cash i would buy as many as i could.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Personally, I think it's a bit over priced considering that the standard satin finished hollow ground Manix only costs about $70. So a different color G10 plus FFG M4 steel is worth ~$85 more? I suppose so since so many people, including myself, paid the price for it. But really, I think a fair pre-order price would have been only about $40 to $50 more than the regular production model, since it only sports an upgraded blade steel and not an upgraded scale material.

But I suppose when they are no longer available at the pre-order price, they will probably be going for over $200.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

1. CPM-M4 has properties that 154cm can't fathom. It's a super steel.
2. Flat ground is more expensive than hollow ground
3. Drilled liners save weight and are more expensive
4. Tan g10 never used until this run
5. Limited to prob 1200 pieces at most
6-10. It's got frickin FFG M4!!!!

I'd buy more if I could justify the expense. It's a different animal and while normally I don't jump on the FFG bandwagon this one is quite cool.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:1. CPM-M4 has properties that 154cm can't fathom. It's a super steel.
2. Flat ground is more expensive than hollow ground
3. Drilled liners save weight and are more expensive
4. Tan g10 never used until this run
5. Limited to prob 1200 pieces at most
6-10. It's got frickin FFG M4!!!!

I'd buy more if I could justify the expense. It's a different animal and while normally I don't jump on the FFG bandwagon this one is quite cool.
Just to emphasize one of your points, there are cost issues for a limited run that make it more expensive than a regular production run. People also need to remember that the regular production M2 is one of the knives that Sal has said they're experimenting with using a new lower profit margin structure. That's not a factor in the limited and sprint runs.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

A good price is definately a frame of mind. I've bought something for a price that I thought was great and others wouldn't even want one. And vice-versa of course. I am so happy to have spent $153.95 for my M4 Manix2. It is now the answer to a question I've asked myself. Which Spyderco would I keep if I had to get rid of every other one. MANIX2 W/M4, TAN G-10, FFG knife.

Thank you Spyderco,
Jack
jossta

Post by jossta »

If you look at the prices for some of the other Manix sprint runs, I think it fits pretty much inline with what I would expect. Nice knife, still debating. I didn't realize that it was limited to 1200 though (haven't read much about it). I thought it was an "exclusive" which meant it was up to Bento Box to decide.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jossta wrote:If you look at the prices for some of the other Manix sprint runs, I think it fits pretty much inline with what I would expect. Nice knife, still debating. I didn't realize that it was limited to 1200 though (haven't read much about it). I thought it was an "exclusive" which meant it was up to Bento Box to decide.
Bentoboxshop ordered 600 to start. If they want more they have to order them in 400 ea. lots. I don't know if there is a limit. They may order lots of 400 lots forever. This is my understanding of the ordering arrangement between them and Spyderco. I may be wrong.

Jack
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I guess BentoBox decided to exercise their declared option of extending the run.

As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier- mine is a user (already getting pretty worn-in) so artificially high resale is irrelevant. However, I like the idea of people trying modern, non-stainless steels and "edge-u-cating" themselves out of the fear of staining/corrosion.

I'm happy with mine; I'm compiling a little review (non-vid) of my experience so far.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

xavierdoc wrote:I guess BentoBox decided to exercise their declared option of extending the run.
I wonder if they got another 400 or haven't sold the first 600 yet. Maybe they have them in stock now so whoever wants one won't have to wait. That should put a damper on ebay re-sales of this model for a while. I've thought about buying one every month until they aren't available any more planning selling them later. I just doubt if I could do that every month. Mine will never be sold, not as brand new anyway. If it gets scratched I don't care. If it gets dirty, I'll wash it. This one will definately be in my pocket and not on the wall (I'm quoting someone, just can't remember who :D ).

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

They are still listed as in stock on the BBS website. It looks like 600 is not sold out yet.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

Mine, invoiced late last week, says:

"The tan Manix 2 that you are being invoiced is part of the opening order of 600 pieces. Please be advised that we have the option to reorder 400 more at a time."

Just fyi.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Blerv wrote:I think they are on run # 2. Maybe they have an excess. Great knife, people should jump on it :) .
You forgot to include that people shouldn't think about it, just do it. I may not get another M4 Manix2 but will be getting the 154CM model also, not because it is cheaper (less expensive I mean) but I'd like to have one with the different steel and grind. My son has one and I like the feeling of a heavier knife. His first reaction when he picked up mine was how light it was. I like to carry this size knife in a sheath so being heavy in the pocket isn't an issue most of the time. I like the Manix2 in my pocket too though. It is not too big. I don't collect knives. I've bought several in the past few years looking for the "one knife" and I think the Manix2 is the one. I may not buy another knife. Sorry Sal, but it's your fault. :D Shouldn't have made the Manix2. :D :D Maybe I'll get the 154CM in black and satin. Some of you carry 3 knives and up at the same time. Maybe I'll start carrying 3 and up of just Manix2s. :D

Sal, I know you were worried about going out of business when I said I may not buy another knife but I think you're business is safe. :D I don't know how you do it but you and whoever keeps coming up with choices for us to want so we can do what we need to do as far as daily cutting. That's not even counting the people who collect for the sake of collecting. One question, do you sell shares in addition to knives? :)

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I agree with you about the feel of a heavier knife Jack...I wish that the M2 sprints were all solid liners like the original.
On the hunt for...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I agree with you about the feel of a heavier knife Jack...I wish that the M2 sprints were all solid liners like the original.
Trying to make me not like my Manix2? Forget it! :D You're saying that because you don't have an M4 Manix2 (yet). :D

Jack
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I agree with you about the feel of a heavier knife Jack...I wish that the M2 sprints were all solid liners like the original.
+1 def like the full steel liners on the 154cm manix i carry. ive obtained just about every manix 2 sprint there is, and still havent EDC'd any except the 154cm that i own. the only two ive considered carrying otherwise are the s90v and the m4... i have sold or currently have for sale the rest.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Regardless it will be a more limited run than some models. I honestly can't ever imagine it being worth less than $153 assuming someone doesn't let it rust to it's grave.

As a high-performing tool it's value is off the chart. like the Grey Para2 in CTS-20cp the steel and materials are simply unreal. For $120-150 these days most makers give you CPM-S30v.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Well I have the S90V and the XHP sprints, and love them, they are great...but the in hand feel of the heavier standard model is just nicer.

JW that's what I do too...my 154CM is one I often carry, but the others...I just don't find myself reaching for them, as absolutely great as they are.
On the hunt for...