Bringing Your Spydies to Dinner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jackknifeh wrote:I'll be needing your address so I can come over the next time you cook steak. :D I used a smilie to indicate humor but I'm serious! Where do you live?

:D :D
Jack
In am in NC. :)

I am the grill master. :cool:
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Hello from Australia.
Take your own folder to a restaurant here. :eek: :eek: Gutsy but stupid move.
Not within 50 metres of the public bar or hotel. Our back yard at our house in town is closer than that.
O.
Emcee Bunzing

Post by Emcee Bunzing »

O,just,O wrote:Hello from Australia.
Take your own folder to a restaurant here. :eek: :eek: Gutsy but stupid move.
Not within 50 metres of the public bar or hotel. Our back yard at our house in town is closer than that.
O.
I use one of my spydies to cut my steak sandwich nearly every day at my local cafe and no-one has ever said anything to me about it (although i did get a weird look from the owner one day when i used my temperance 2 :D ) and i use one at every other restaurant i go to. I'm in a smallish rural town though so farmers all carry at least a stockman and as long as you act sensibly a police officer wont hassle you. In australia the knife laws may be pretty bad but as long as you have a legitimate reason for it you're fine, and food prep counts. pubs are a different kettle of fish though, no-one cares around here as long as you look respectable and you're not being aggressive but i wouldn't take a knife to a pub in the city if you paid me!
You are only as sharp as your knife. "Life is short. If you don't stop and look around... and do whatever you want all the time... then you could miss it."
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I often use my folders at restaurants. I do prefer a razor edge on my knives so the plates tend to roll the edge. So I keep the knife at a constant angle to reduce the size of the flat spot.

Most non-Western restaurants don't provide knives and my son still needs his food cut to smaller pieces. At first, my wife thought I was crazy until she tried to cut his food with a plastic knife. Now, she understands and won't roll her eyes when I pull out the knife. :)

I have thought about carrying a spyderedge knife for food cutting but I think it's going a little overboard.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Sorry, double post
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Sure, sure -- steak. Whatever.

Where I really like having a knife is dealing with salad. See, most places don't bother to cut their salad toppings (particularly tomato and cucumber slices) down to actual "bite size." So I have to finish the job for them. The table knife is just going to spew the veggies all over the table, because you have to push down hard to cut. But a really sharp pocket knife will slice through them without much pressure at all, so everything stays put.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dj moonbat wrote:Sure, sure -- steak. Whatever.

Where I really like having a knife is dealing with salad. See, most places don't bother to cut their salad toppings (particularly tomato and cucumber slices) down to actual "bite size." So I have to finish the job for them. The table knife is just going to spew the veggies all over the table, because you have to push down hard to cut. But a really sharp pocket knife will slice through them without much pressure at all, so everything stays put.
That is an excellent point. I have had to pick up broccolli sprouts from my lap a time or two because they shoot out from under a fork or dull knife instead of being cut. (some think I'm just clumsy :) ) I guess now the Spyder-crew has to come up with "the Restaurant". It's a folder model just for meals. :D

Jack
gus88

Post by gus88 »

thanks for all the input fellas!

so i guess i will be trying something out here in the near future. either my superleaf or caly3cf. superleaf is bigger, but will be easier to clean.

@djmoonbat
i use to work at this fancy restaurant. the owner made us dice up the tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash into 1/4"x1/4" cubes.....MAN i wish i had a :spyder: back then :eek:
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

I always have either my Streetbeat or a Mule in a mercharness. I use them as I please and that if I'm handed anything less sharp. Interestingly, the better the restaurant, the less of a problem that is. But it's really never been much of a problem.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ankerson wrote:I wouldn't bet money on it. ;)

It might not happen the 1st time or even the 5th time, but it only takes once to cause a real problem....

Then you would have to justify it, good luck with that...
Justify it to whom? No law against carrying a FB here, no law against using one in a safe and non threatening manner for a reasonable purpose, and it's not as if it would be the only knife in the room. I'm not talking about sitting there flipping a bali. I'm not suggesting that I'd pick my steak up on my fork and slash slices off it while it's dangling in the air. I'm just talking about using it the same way everyone else in the place would be using the knife they were given.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Phrede

Post by Phrede »

I'm thinking a Waved Endura would be good.
That way when the steak hits the table, "SNNAAP", You'd be ready for it! :D

Phrede
ÒWhether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.Ó
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:Justify it to whom? No law against carrying a FB here, no law against using one in a safe and non threatening manner for a reasonable purpose, and it's not as if it would be the only knife in the room. I'm not talking about sitting there flipping a bali. I'm not suggesting that I'd pick my steak up on my fork and slash slices off it while it's dangling in the air. I'm just talking about using it the same way everyone else in the place would be using the knife they were given.
Let one person call 911 and you will see exactly what I mean..... ;)

Hopefully you won't get to have that experience....

Try that there isn't any law against argument when the man shows up and see how far that goes...
unit

Post by unit »

If someone calls 911 on me for eating a steak, I would laugh myself silly. I can not imagine what I would have to explain?...

"Yes, officer...I am legally carrying and responsibly using this (legal) knife to cut my sons' food, and later after they are happily eating, I will use it to prepare my own food. The knuckle-head that bothered calling you is sitting over there, and no, I do not care to press any harassment charges..."

To answer the OP, yes, I use whatever knife will make my meal most enjoyable (legally).
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ankerson wrote:Let one person call 911 and you will see exactly what I mean..... ;)

Hopefully you won't get to have that experience....

Try that there isn't any law against argument when the man shows up and see how far that goes...
You're making me worry a bit about the mindset of folks in NC, Jim. Hope those in the part of SC where I'm headed will be less fearful. Still, I'd be willing to take my chances around here and pretty much anywhere else in the USA except NYC.

First, I seriously doubt anyone would notice. I'm not talking about walking into the place with the knife in plain sight. It would be fully concealed, just as my folders always are. I'm not talking about "deploying" it in a flamboyant manner. All my fellow diners and the waitstaff would see, if they even noticed, was an extra knife on the table next to my plate. I don't dine with strangers, so anyone at my table would be well aware and accepting of my quirks and there'd be no loud "Jeez Paul, why'd you bring THAT here" to raise an alarm. And, trust me Jim, if the steak was tough enough that I felt the need to baton the Street Beat through it with a loaf of french bread, I'd up and leave. ;)

Frankly, I think a folding knife, any folding knife, sitting on the table would draw more attention from folks passing by than any of the FB models I mentioned ever would and, if someone did notice the Street Beat, they'd be wondering what I did to rate the good cutlery rather than wondering who I planned to stab. I'd faster see someone being charged with abuse of the 911 system for calling in a "man with a knife" complaint against someone cutting his food in a restaurant than me being charged with brandishing.

So I think that, like a number of other topics, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this.
Paul
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

unit wrote:If someone calls 911 on me for eating a steak, I would laugh myself silly. I can not imagine what I would have to explain?...

"Yes, officer...I am legally carrying and responsibly using this (legal) knife to cut my sons' food, and later after they are happily eating, I will use it to prepare my own food. The knuckle-head that bothered calling you is sitting over there, and no, I do not care to press any harassment charges..."

To answer the OP, yes, I use whatever knife will make my meal most enjoyable (legally).
Don't think you quite understand the situation.....

The law is whatever the people running the restaurant or business say it is....

Written law is for the Courts and the lawyers. ;)

Remember a lot people still view knives as they do guns so pulling out a knife in a public place is the same as pulling a gun out.
unit

Post by unit »

Ankerson wrote:Don't think you quite understand the situation.....

The law is whatever the people running the restaurant or business say it is....

Written law is for the Courts and the lawyers. ;)

Remember a lot people still view knives as they do guns so pulling out a knife in a public place is the same as pulling a gun out.
As Paul said, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

You are right business policy can be more strict than Laws...but when it comes to 911 they are back to applying Law as written/enforced. The restaurant management can have me and my family removed...but I have a relationship with most of the places I frequent and most would be sensible enough to talk to me directly for immediate results to any perceived problem (rather than dialing 911, waiting for a response, then creating a scene in their establishment).

This is all OT. Lets drop it....
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

What's the best blade shape to spread peanut butter and jelly?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What's the best blade shape to spread peanut butter and jelly?
PE sheepsfoot, or wharncliffe.
Paul
unit

Post by unit »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What's the best blade shape to spread peanut butter and jelly?
Right on!

I received my custom yesterday (a modified Wharncliffe fixed blade). I am betting it will spread it quite well! I am going to use it to cut up some egg rolls and spread some hot mustard (tonight at the restaurant)....does that count?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:You're making me worry a bit about the mindset of folks in NC, Jim. Hope those in the part of SC where I'm headed will be less fearful. Still, I'd be willing to take my chances around here and pretty much anywhere else in the USA except NYC.

First, I seriously doubt anyone would notice. I'm not talking about walking into the place with the knife in plain sight. It would be fully concealed, just as my folders always are. I'm not talking about "deploying" it in a flamboyant manner. All my fellow diners and the waitstaff would see, if they even noticed, was an extra knife on the table next to my plate. I don't dine with strangers, so anyone at my table would be well aware and accepting of my quirks and there'd be no loud "Jeez Paul, why'd you bring THAT here" to raise an alarm. And, trust me Jim, if the steak was tough enough that I felt the need to baton the Street Beat through it with a loaf of french bread, I'd up and leave. ;)

Frankly, I think a folding knife, any folding knife, sitting on the table would draw more attention from folks passing by than any of the FB models I mentioned ever would and, if someone did notice the Street Beat, they'd be wondering what I did to rate the good cutlery rather than wondering who I planned to stab. I'd faster see someone being charged with abuse of the 911 system for calling in a "man with a knife" complaint against someone cutting his food in a restaurant than me being charged with brandishing.

So I think that, like a number of other topics, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

The way people are these days there is no freaking way I would risk it.

The whole it's legal and I can do whatever I want were ever I want stuff doesn't really cut it in today's society.

Heck I have had people look at me strange and react weird when I was at work using a Safety cutter and that's doing my JOB.

Think how those same people would react in a restaurant if someone pulled out a folder or a FB...

All it takes is one person to make the call and there is a problem and as thin skinned as people seem to be these days nothing would surprise me.

People have to think more about what could happen if they do something rather than just thinking about what they want to do.