Bringing Your Spydies to Dinner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:PE sheepsfoot, or wharncliffe.
unit wrote:Right on!

I received my custom yesterday (a modified Wharncliffe fixed blade). I am betting it will spread it quite well! I am going to use it to cut up some egg rolls and spread some hot mustard (tonight at the restaurant)....does that count?
Oh yeh, I will keep that in mind. Thanks :D
gus88

Post by gus88 »

used my keychain Bug to open a couple packets of spread at In'n'Out that were giving me some trouble. nothing major, but a first step.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I carry my sage 2 everywhere. It has always been my wife's restaurant knife. I make sure it is sharp and clean before we go out to eat. I probably own twice as many knives as I otherwise would. Keep the woman happy and she will keep you happy.

grizz
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

FWIW, I have eaten in plenty of places in NC with a folder and noone has given me any grief for it. Now it is true that certain elements of people in NC (typically transplants from other areas) may be a little funny, but I have yet to have any trouble.

I do not hesitate to use a folder if it seems appropriate to me, and I don't carry knives that are illegal wherever I happen to be. I am thinking of either making or modifying a knife specifically for the purpose of eating out/kitchen duty (thinking of a folder in this case, though depending on laws here in TN I might revise that) that is unobtrusive and designed with easy food prep in mind.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

defenestrate wrote:FWIW, I have eaten in plenty of places in NC with a folder and noone has given me any grief for it. Now it is true that certain elements of people in NC (typically transplants from other areas) may be a little funny, but I have yet to have any trouble.

I do not hesitate to use a folder if it seems appropriate to me, and I don't carry knives that are illegal wherever I happen to be. I am thinking of either making or modifying a knife specifically for the purpose of eating out/kitchen duty (thinking of a folder in this case, though depending on laws here in TN I might revise that) that is unobtrusive and designed with easy food prep in mind.
Guess you have been lucky sofar...

I does depend on the area though, some are filled with more shall we say transplants than others.

Out in the smaller towns I doubt one would have much of a problem, it's the larger cities and certain areas I wouldn't even think about using a knife for anything so I keep it in my pocket.

They can get kinda strange.... They can freak out over anything.....

I still remember when some female totally freaked out when one of the employees was cutting down some boxes with his folder. She came running up front screaming with cell phone in hand about he has a knife etc, etc.......

I just calmly said that he works here and was using it to do his job....

She walked out freaked out still over it....
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Not usually needed, but I don't hesitate when it is.

Grape/cherry tomatoes are a real prime example. Halving a sandwich is another common occurrence. Never had more than a knowing smirk from a waitress. Every other time it has been either ignored or seen as normal. :shrug:
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
deputy tom

Post by deputy tom »

I have used my Endura to cut tough meat on many occaisions when the supplied knife was not up to the task.After all it was a steak knife that inspired Sal to come up with the Spyder-edge consept.tom. :cool:
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER...Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i live in s.c. it is easy to carry a knife here. my lady and i were in n.c. at a festival. she got a crepe for lunch and asked to borrow my spyder hawk to cut it up. she got some comments from onlookers about how evil her knife looked. she found that amusing. one has to pay attention to one's surroundings.
JLS

Post by JLS »

There's really a lot of good discussion here and it's all remarkably civil!

I've done it before. What I most often use a knife for in a restaurant is to cut the straws. I have 2 kids and they give full length straws to them to put in the top of a kids size drink. This leads to the kids tipping the cup at an angle to drink, which leads to spills, which leads to unhappy parents, etc. So either my wife does it with her Caly Jr. or I end up pulling out my Military. Either way, it's done quickly and the whole meal carries on smoothly! I have used my own knife on occasion as a good steak knife also, with never a hint of a problem.

Regarding others opinions of what I do in public with a knife...I use tools responsibly and don't worry about others opinions or reactions. I live my life according to the law and my preferences. I've dealt with LEO's in a number of different situations and most are wonderful people serving their communities. The few who seem to be serving themselves or their own agendas also have laws to follow and tend to do so when called out on their mistakes. If someone called 911 after seeing me use a knife at a restaurant, I'm confident I would have a nice conversation with a cop and would continue to enjoy my evening, even if there was a slight delay to the agenda. In short, I live my life. If you don't like the way I do that, mind your own business and I'll continue to do the same.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

well, i havent had the need to have to break out my spyderco at the table to cut anything (yet) but it will be in the pocket if the day comes. :cool:
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
MCM

Post by MCM »

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
ac12

Post by ac12 »

They replace a butter knife dull steak knife with an equally butter knife dull steak knife.

So, I sometimes take a small diamond sharpening rod with me.
Give me a DULL knife and I will insult them by sharpening THEIR knife for them.
When I bought the sharpening rod and told the guys in the store why, the store manager had a laugh and did a "high 5" with me. I guess he had the same experience w dull knives at restaurants. I think he will be bringing a diamond sharpening rod with him to the steak house.

BTW, in the "old days" I would take out my pocket knife in the airplane to cut the meat, knives were butter knife dull knife even back then. And half the time, the guy next to me would ask to borrow my knife to cut his meat.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I've used a Sage 1 several times in NYC and never had an odd look about it.

I'm discrete and use it like any normal knife for cutting up food.
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

"There's really a lot of good discussion here and it's all remarkably civil!"

this is the most civil and informative forum that i have experienced. the s&w forum is pretty nice also. it is a pleasure to interact with ladies and gentlemen.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

white cloud wrote:"There's really a lot of good discussion here and it's all remarkably civil!"

this is the most civil and informative forum that i have experienced. the s&w forum is pretty nice also. it is a pleasure to interact with ladies and gentlemen.
Very cool forum name. Discussions here are very civil. This was the first forum I started reading so I though it was the norm. I then read some others and was really surprised at what I read. There are "moments" :mad: from time to time here but they get resolved without much blood loss. :D

Welcome.

Jack
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

I would never do it for 3 reasons:

1) My knife isn't usually clean enough to eat with since I use it for EDC tasks like opening boxes and mail. I'd have to get up from the table, go to the restroom and wash off the blade with hot soapy water.

2) I don't want to ruin my edge with a hard plate.

3) After eating, I would have to get up, walk over to the bathroom (to wash it off) with the knife open since I don't want to close it with all that meat juice/residue on it.

Not worth the added trouble IMO.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ToneGrail wrote:I would never do it for 3 reasons:

1) My knife isn't usually clean enough to eat with since I use it for EDC tasks like opening boxes and mail. I'd have to get up from the table, go to the restroom and wash off the blade with hot soapy water.

3) After eating, I would have to get up, walk over to the bathroom with the knife open since I don't want to close it eith all that meat juice/residue on it just to wash it off.

Very logical and the main reasons why I never use folders for food ever even at home.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ToneGrail wrote:I would never do it for 3 reasons:

3) After eating, I would have to get up, walk over to the bathroom with the knife open since I don't want to close it eith all that meat juice/residue on it just to wash it off.

What works for you, works for you.

As for me, I prefer using my folder to trying to cut food with a knife no sharper than the side of the fork.

1) I almost always know if I'm going to be eating out and clean my knife in advance, if necessary.

2) I find that with a good sharp knife it's usually easy to avoid making contact between the edge and the plate and always easy to avoid making hard contact. Plus, if the knife needs a touch up afterward, it's not the end of the world.

3) Couple drops of water from my glass onto my napkin, quick wipe, and the blade is clean enough for me to close the knife and put it away.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'm with Paul on this.
Napkins work well enough to get it clean after use. And unless your knife was really grimy before you started eating the risk of germs i not really an issue (lots of other things are worse)

You should see the state of our eating utensils in the army after a week or two in the field ;)
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Yup, that is what pants legs and napkins are for.

I tend to clean my knife after any use that would be bad enough to leave anything that would hurt me. So it is usually just pocket lint that gets wiped off.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal