Your worst cutting-accident with a Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrrampro

Post by mrrampro »

When I first got the Caly 3.5 and choked up on the 50/50 choil my finger slipped off when pushing with the tip and cut my right index finger a good bit. I was breaking down cardboard boxes and hit a staple(being careless). The bad thing was two weeks earlier i did a review and warned others about it possibly being an issue. Should have heeded my own advice on that one. Its a sharp blade and I dont carry it anymore its grounded for talking back.
:spyder:'s
Police SS, 2 x Endura, 2 x Delica, Sage 3, Caly 3.5,
2 x Tenacious, Persistance, Ladybug H-1, Salt 1,
J.D. Smith, Centefonte 3, 3 x Cara Cara, Robin SS
And my fav the Para 2!!!!!!!!
Simper Fi
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

my yojimbo self opened tip up in my right front pocket. not so good when i tried to pull it out of my pocket. the tips on those things pierce REALLY well.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

A couple of summers ago I managed to puncture my right forearm deeply with an original Zowada, severing the radial artery. My wife and sons were in various other parts of the country at the time. It turned out to be a pretty big incident as far as the local first responders were concerned and a big mess. :o :(
cckw

Post by cckw »

Ask this same question about Gransfors Bruks axes :)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

i did the stupidest thing you can do cutting a branch, cutting towards myself, I was using a 1 day old ambitious that had only popped a few arm hairs and sliced paper, so i was cutting grooves one way in a branch, and to avoId standing in a rose bush to cut away from my self from the other side, i cut towards myself, the knife slipped on the water on the branch and halfway down my thumb nail, surprisingly little amount of pain, s#!+ loads of bleeding . after the blood dried, i bumped it on something, lifting the nail and cut open again, THATS where it hurt
deputy tom

Post by deputy tom »

While cutting some loose strands of carpet I was closing my full spyder-edge Delica.It slipped from my grip and to prevent it from sticking my cat I back handed the knife.I ended up un the ER getting stitches in my first two fingers of my strong hand.Just nicked the tendons but lucky for me no surgery was needed beyond the stitches to close the wound.tom. :cool:
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER...Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
unit

Post by unit »

No Photos!?!
I am disappointed :D

My worst knife accident is a tossup between
1. an old butchers knife that I was sharpening and got too fast/too careless and missed the top of the rod (Crock Stix sharpener) and brought the knife down onto the back of my left hand severing the skin and tendon to my middle and ring finger. and

2. A tacticool folder that I was using to cut zip ties TOWARD myself and resulted in a cut to my left middle finger at the knuckle that also managed to cut the tendon.

My worst cut with a Spyderco was closing my Military a little too quickly after cutting the top off a large box. I had really polished that edge well the night before. Took the top of my right thumb off. Not really all that bad, but I sure felt stupid...again.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zjA7PXi43ok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i was in kitwe, zambia... had scored an orange, and was psyched. i sat down and cut into it with a freshly sharpened 440v mili... slid through it like it wasn't there, and then into my finger. not a good feeling. :o

that's my only real knife accident to date!
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

I know its a spydie thread, but about a 2 months ago there was alcohol and good times involved and I stabbed myself in the right leg above my knee with my emerson cqc 15. Got the whole tanto end into my leg.

It was on purpose, sort of...I just like to party I guess. There was lots of blood loss till we got it wrapped. Ended up in the emergency room the next day with the worst hangover too!
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

While re-sheathing a Kumo missed the sheath and slid the knife down my finger.....Doc :eek:
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been pretty fortunate. I've cut myself good a few times but none that were bad enough to get stitches, though i'm certain a few of them required them. I think the worst i've ever cut myself was at a job i had....really hard to explain the job and what i was doing but i basically slashed the top of my left thigh with a utility knife...clean through my jeans and about 3 inches long, almost a 1/4 inch deep in the middle. It got butterfly bandaids but i'm sure it needed stitches...the scar is about 1/4 inch wide now.

Beyond that, one time i had a lock back close on my pinky during a stabbing incident when i was young and stupid. I squeezed the handle too hard and pressed the lock and it closed on the outside of my finger. That one literally hit bone and probably needed a stitch or two. That scar is still numb to this day and it's about 20 years old.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jasonp1

Post by jasonp1 »

Ironic...
I've had only two. One two years ago at Christmas opening one of those kids toys, cutting off the zip ties on the back of a doll wrapped like some king tuts treasure. I cut my thumb to the bone with my native.

LAST NIGHT, I was driving a back road here in S. Texas and a nice little feral hog walked out in front of my car and attempted suicide by bumper (dodge Charger). Well he managed to crack the bumper all to heck, destroy the washer fluid reservoir and rip the cowling from under the passenger side wheel well and to top it off, crapped all down the side of my car. I pulled over to survey the damage. While looking at the damage, I hear Mr. Piggy squealing about 20 yards back. I walked back to find him laying in the ditch dragging himself with his front feet and looking like he just took a heck of an beating and suffered a broken back. I felt sorry for the little guy (about 150 pounds) so I pinned him under boot, and broke out my newest Spyderco, the Sage 2 and ended his suffering. The problem was, the first attempt missed the mark and my hand slid off slicing open my thumb. A quick follow up did the job. I wrapped my thumb in electrical tape and paper towels and went home.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The worst thing about my worst accident is I've done it twice. I had my Michael Walker laying open on a table on top of a piece of paper. I wanted the piece of paper so I yanked it out from under the knife (I thought I was a magician :eek :) . Needless to say the knife fell off the table and stabbed my foot. :eek: :eek: This was not a nick or prick, it was a stab! I grabbed a trash can that was right there and rested my ankle on the edge and watched my foot bleed quite a bit. I was kind of stranded because there was no way I could figure out how to get to band aids or anything without leaving a trail of blood. I also didn't want to call for help letting everyone know how stupid I could be. :o I did have some paper towels and scotch tape so I used that to make a bandage good enough to get me to the bathroom. This happened where I sharpen knives so now have a makeshift first aid kit handy. :D

As I said I did the exact same thing a few weeks later. :o This time it was a heavier knife and the damage was very more much worse. I should have gotten stitches but didn't want to bother with the ER. I used "liquid skin", toilet paper and electrical tape (part of my first aid kit) and wrapped that around my foot. Liquid skin (like super glue) is great for little cuts but is hard to apply when there is a steady flow of blood. :mad: The bandage needed was too big to hide so I had to own up to my stupidity this time. :o

Jack
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Not me, but a friend of mine an avid knife collector was sharpening his ChinookI on the sharpmaker.... he finished.... after checking the blade to his sharpness satisfaction then closed the knife. He then was distracted by his rather large puppy Rottweiler and dropped the knife on the floor, when the knife hit the floor he picked up his foot to get it out of the way, thinking that's a heavy knife, don't need it hitting my toes. The knife opened and locked in place on impact...bounced off the floor... the blade tip went right through the bottom of his sneaker and stuck itself into the bottom of his foot. He withdrew the blade, sneaker and sock to check his foot and that's when the blood bath started....Luckily his wife was an ER Nurse and had seen it all. But this was a new one even for her. She told me that she was chasing him all over the kitchen (blood everywhere) as he was hoping on one foot screaming OMG :eek: ....The trip to the ER was next...5 stitches to close the wound is what the Dr. ordered....Just one of those freaky accidents...glad it didn't happen to me...LOL I still tease him about it to this day....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ok, this isn't a spyderco but a semi sharp victorinox filleting knife (sharp to most people, blunt when you've owned a spyderco :D ), i filleted my left finger sharpening on crock sticks carelessly fast.
It went half an inch along my finger, luckily not hitting a tendon, though i swear behind the flesh I could see it lol, that would have put me out of guitar for a long while :( ... the big flap of loose skin was pulled over the wound with some butterfly bandages, though it probabaly should have been stitched., UNIT, if your like me, you agree that crock sticks are WAY too short and easy to slip on, im modifying mine with brass hand guards.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I've been pretty lucky to not have anything too bad. But, the other day I was dicing onions in the kitchen with the P2 when someone spoke to me. I quit looking at what I was doing and took a dice our of my thumb. I looked down and there it was laying on the cutting board. Luckily it was just a few layers of skin beside the thumbnail. Bled like **** and burned like crazy from the onion juice but could have been much worse. I would rather get cut by a sharp knife rather than a dull one.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

LOL, Im glad for this thread, I was going to start my own Blood story thread, but this way Im not the OP, so its not as embarrassing!

This one happened last week. I just got my M390 mule, came RAZOR sharp. I cut up a whole box of cardboard, took it to my arm, still shaved hair. This had me excited! I grabbed an old sheath I had to see if I could get my new mule to fit, and in the process of trying to force it in (reverse grip), my pinky slipped forward past the guard and slid a few CM's on the blade. I knew what I had done immediately, this cut was DEEP! Took over three hours to stop bleeding after I melted several ice cubes on it. Not a fun night
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Some time ago I received a new Delica VG-10 and the action was tight. I put some teflon lube on the pivot point and was working the blade back and forth when my thumb slid across the blade. Yes this bad boy was VERY SHARP from the factory. ER with stitches. I've cut myself several times over the years commercial fishing/fish cleaing that required stitches. Much more attentive when handling knives than I used to be. If cleaning/gutting a lot of fish, I wear gloves. Sometimes use a Rapala kevlar glove on the left hand.
buddy54ck

A little Help !

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Hi All,
Don't forget the Superglue, see My new thread :Help for those nasty little cuts !!! I am not a Doctor :
In Off Topic Today
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder:
:D
JD Spydo

ZDP-189 Caly JR got me

Post by JD Spydo »

About 4 years ago I was using my Spyderco Calypso Jr PE ZDP-189 Burgundy knife to open some caulking tubes and some other construction materials. I slipped and in my own carelessness I cut my finger all the way to the bone :eek: .

It bleed like a stuck hog at a slaughter house :rolleyes: .. Fortunately I was working for a retired Doctor and he immediately took steps to stop the bleeding as it was bleeding profusely.

One funny note about it was by the third day of healing the good Doctor wanted to look it over and he said that the cut itself was so precise it was as though it was done with a surgical scalpel. He said he never saw a cut that clean and that precise that wasn't done by a physician.

That ZDP-189 Caly Jr. is still one my all time favorite EDC blades. But I sure learned a great lesson not to take any knife for granted because they are truly dangerous tools if misused.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!