Thanks SFO, but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Douglas

Thanks SFO, but...

Post by Douglas »

Lovely first experience with SFO. Called them up and ordered a couple D4 clips. Took a couple weeks (which I'm sure is Customs' fault) but they showed up today with a lovely handwritten note.

But.

I will be disregarding that note ("Please use Loctite") as I am expecting this clip to perform exactly like the last one - I'll somehow snag it on something and it will bend outwards, and I'll take it off the knife and bend it back, and every couple months this process will repeat until, like the last one, it snaps off. And now you know why I ordered two.

Oddly enough, the wire clip on my Native III never snags. If I'm not mistaken, the moral of this story is that I need to buy more Spydercos with wire clips. What's Delica-like that has a wire clip? Must be available in SE or CE, bonus points for choils.
Linguini3

Post by Linguini3 »

I'd say the sage series

Not necessarily delica-like but they come with choils and wire clips
They're in the same ball park size-wise and you get 3 different handle/ lock options with an s30v blade to complement it all

Only problem i see is the price difference between a sage and a delica but if you are willing to pay you won't regret it :D
"Trance is centralized around the idea of capturing a moment in time, It's an art."

My Spydies- Millie (Digicam, Black Blade), Orange Manix 2 Sprint, P'kal, SpyderHawk Salt SE
Donut

Post by Donut »

Dragonfly is about your best bet, it is a little smaller than the Delica. You could try the UKPK to be closer in size.

With every new knife there is some learning and awareness to adjust to. I had my Military clipped to my pocket and lost my balance while getting into my car, now I have two white scratches in the paint right next to my door. It makes me cringe each time I see it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jeffwatts@comcast.net

Calypso

Post by jeffwatts@comcast.net »

I would say a Caly 3.5 perfect size. Blade shape is a little more Delica like than sage. OR the regular Caly 3. :spyder:
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I'd say go with the Dragonfly if you don't mind a smaller knife...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

UKPK if you dont need a lock.
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
Donut

Post by Donut »

jeffwatts@comcast.net wrote:I would say a Caly 3.5 perfect size. Blade shape is a little more Delica like than sage. OR the regular Caly 3. :spyder:
That's a good suggestion, that one slipped my mind.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Actually ordered a Dragonfly a few days ago, so I'll see if I like the size. I'm not overly inclined to forgo a lock.

Hmm...this Vancouver online dealer I discovered appears to have old Caly 3 SE stock. For some reason I thought the Caly's were plain edge only. If my first order shows up satisfactorily I may just have to spring for one. That'd make 5 Spydercos. That's enough, right? :p
phaust

Post by phaust »

Blue and purple locktite will hold the screws well, but the screws will still be easy to remove when you need them to be.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

The reason for the Loctite-note is mainly due to the fact that people often loose the clip screws, not break clips. Lost screws must be so common they include the note with every replacement clip. ;)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Douglas wrote:What's Delica-like that has a wire clip?
Or you can roll your own. Not pretty (though handier people than me could do a nicer job)

Just a thought.

Ken
玉鋼
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

Wow, Ken, I like your wire clips. Do you make those yourself?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Jonj480 wrote:Wow, Ken, I like your wire clips. Do you make those yourself?
Thanks, no they are mostly off others, like UKPKs though I did order a few from SFO. They are held in place in routed grooves by the top part of the clip.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Locktite isn't forever. Just keeps things from working themselves free. I'm sure you know this but just had to say it :) .

I would HIGHLY recommend a Sage1. I held off with the Sages for years and totally regret it now :( .
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

I stopped using pocket clips when I snagged the clip of an $800 custom Terzuola on a wall. It yanked the clip so hard that the carbon fiber around the screws shattered and chipped off.

You should have seen my face and heard the words that came out of my mouth.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Blerv wrote:Locktite isn't forever. Just keeps things from working themselves free. I'm sure you know this but just had to say it :) .

I would HIGHLY recommend a Sage1. I held off with the Sages for years and totally regret it now :( .
What with me being a lefty and all, liner and frame locks are out. I do have my eyes on that Sage 3, but I want some serrations on my carry at work knife. Might just have to mod the Delica a bit.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Douglas wrote:What with me being a lefty and all, liner and frame locks are out. I do have my eyes on that Sage 3, but I want some serrations on my carry at work knife. Might just have to mod the Delica a bit.
Oh hmm, good point :) . The Sage 3 might be the ticket eventually. As a worker knife a UKPK lightweight would be a nice one in full SE. The Rescue maybe if you havent had that blade type yet.

For $30 +/- it's hard to go wrong. I've given away knives as gifts before if they don't work out well. The recipient usually is blown away and it's their first.