Sal, please make the Matriarch a production model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blackwell

Sal, please make the Matriarch a production model

Post by blackwell »

I really think that the matriarch would be a great production model, it is definitely in high demand, and in my opinion better for carry then the civilian. A smaller self defense model is needed where 4+ inch cannot be carried. Just a normal black frn, VG-10. Please take this into consideration, and thank you very much in advance.
:spyder:C81GGY20CP2 Para 2 sprint - EDC
:spyder:C157GTIP Lionspy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Someone mentioned a Delica sized one too. Plzz!!
jossta

Post by jossta »

I am down with this.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder:
Blerv wrote:Someone mentioned a Delica sized one too. Plzz!!
:spyder: Oh hecks ya! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Linguini3

Post by Linguini3 »

+1
"Trance is centralized around the idea of capturing a moment in time, It's an art."

My Spydies- Millie (Digicam, Black Blade), Orange Manix 2 Sprint, P'kal, SpyderHawk Salt SE
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Count me in!!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
FarmerSteve

Post by FarmerSteve »

meeee 2 !!!
CharlesIV

Post by CharlesIV »

The civilian owns it!
feed_the_animals

Post by feed_the_animals »

+1 on the Delica sized reverse-S
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

feed_the_animals wrote:+1 on the Delica sized reverse-S
A big + 2 7/8" on that recommendation, especially if the blade is usable, like a delica sized cricket blade. That would be sweet.

It would also be much easier to deploy for those with smaller hands, such as women, which was the original target audience of the matriarch if I recall.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

feed_the_animals wrote:+1 on the Delica sized reverse-S
Agreed. I would like one as a user (aka a production model). I have the brown sprint, but it sits in its box and I've discovered I don't like to own knives I won't use (it's a sprint, limited, etc,etc). I don't like it for that reason
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
markg

Post by markg »

Yes, you can make the blade "legal length" however explaining the blade to an LEO if you have to, can still be an issue. In many states you have the blade length issue, however the laws are written so that anything that is interepreted to be a weapon (regardless of blade length) will get you some unwanted attention. However, keep in mind you will need to be doing something that draws attention in the first place.

Regardless, I would buy a couple Delica sized Matriarchs...
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I'm wondering whether the shortened/narrowed blade would lead to the tip being excessively weak? :confused: The tips on Civilians and Matriarchs are already vulnerable to breaking in EDC use so having a smaller version might just work against the intended use of the knife ... and for me it's not about just having a cool shaped knife (form), it's about function too and I'd have to be convinced that the shortened S-shape was effective at whatever it was designed to do.

Also, it would probably be a very limited production run because the market would be limited to the big collectors and to countries where carry of concealed weapons was allowed.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I wouldn't mind having/buying a "mini" civilian.

Count me in for one.
Come Join Us Click Here
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ChrisR wrote:I'm wondering whether the shortened/narrowed blade would lead to the tip being excessively weak? :confused: The tips on Civilians and Matriarchs are already vulnerable to breaking in EDC use so having a smaller version might just work against the intended use of the knife ... and for me it's not about just having a cool shaped knife (form), it's about function too and I'd have to be convinced that the shortened S-shape was effective at whatever it was designed to do.

Also, it would probably be a very limited production run because the market would be limited to the big collectors and to countries where carry of concealed weapons was allowed.
The Matriarch was designed, like the Yojimbo, as a defense knife. The fact that people disregard Spyderco's disclaimer for EDC and it can hold up to light cutting is a great surprise at best.

Making a blade more akin to the Cricket would solve that problem but also might reduce slashing performance (but still better than a conventional Delica). I think a Delica with a reverse s would be handy as hawkbills have imense strengths but they lack the belly for some required tasks.

As a side note I do want to emphasize someone else originally presented the idea. I just thought it was too genius to forget :) . Having a sub 3" blade would have a chance of meeting legality in about 80% more places than a 3.6" one which seems the goal of the concept.
camokid

Post by camokid »

Prehaps a H-1 Matriarch would solve the problem with the weak tip. H-1 is said to be really tough; making the blade more likely to blend before it would snap. just thought I would put my 2 cents in lol! plus you could take you matriarch anywhere without fear of rust.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I would be in for one. :cool:

Don't sweat about the tip guys, the reverse S-is just a generic shape and it can always be modified to be anything between and beyond a Cricket and a Matriarch.
If one is geared towards EDC use, they will probably make the tip a bit sturdier, if its geared towards SD only, it'll be like a mini-Matriarch
blackwell

Post by blackwell »

Although a delica size one would be great as well, the normal endura size is the one im after.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I would love a black production model matriarch :) Didn't like the brown so I passed on the sprint, wasn't fond of the FFG on that blade either.
Vic
blackwell

Post by blackwell »

I really like the FFG, but hollow ground would be more than fine as well. I hope Sal will consider this.