What do you look for in a Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EZ Bake

What do you look for in a Spyderco?

Post by EZ Bake »

What do you look for when getting your hopes up for newer Spyderco models?

What feature(s) have you learned to love so much that you kind of feel let down when you see a new Spydie that doesn't have said features?

I don't know if its just popular opinion or what, but I crave FFG blades over Saber-grinds so that's not necessarily a function-over-form issue, but its definitely something I look for.

Also, deep usable finger-choils and thumb-ramps are a must (and I'm a fan of jimping in both places). Also, grippy G10 or Linen Micarta have become things I really crave in my folders (and Spyderco's basket-weave carbon fiber).

That's the biggest reason that I've not yet picked up a Sage 2 - I just don't care for slick aluminum/Ti scales (but I may end up getting one and having some mill-work done to it - maybe checkering or a Golf-ball/DGG look).

I'm also looking more at compression lock models (and frame-locks) and starting to dig some of Spyderco's skinny-blade models - I find them to be more user-friendly for some of the daily tasks I have to do than the more broad blades.
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

Other than being tip down and lefty, I'm open to whatever they come up with. If it's not tip down and lefty, it's a non-starter for me. Manix is a prime example. Love the knife but I don't NEED it as configured.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

uniqueness.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

A Spydiehole of course
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Size, shape, color, material.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

A sharp edge....
On the hunt for...
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

Ambidextrous, sub3.5in, finger choil, flat grind.
moddek

Post by moddek »

purdy colors... :p i kind of like the direction they are going in with all of the new colored handles in the E4s and D4s as well as the yellow for the salt models... i just ordered a blue ukpk and a blue ffg endura... i guess the black gets old sometimes... I am looking forward to them very much
:spyder:'s: Tenacious PE, Persistence PE, Honeybee, Dragonfly G10, Blue Endura 4 FFG, Blue Lightweight UKPK

Byrd: Finch PE
Bronco

Post by Bronco »

Spydiehole...
premium steel...
tall blade with a geometry maximized for cutting efficiency...
3 to 4 inch blade length...
frame, ball bearing, compression or back lock...
G-10, Ti or CF scales...

That is all. :)