Edc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Arthur Jordan

Edc

Post by Arthur Jordan »

What Spyderco or Bryd knife would you use as your EDC and why?
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

Dragonfly2 the weight is 1.2 onces the blade shape is great plus jimping and finger choil with a wire clip and you can get it in zdp-189. If the price for the zdp is higher than you would like go with the vg-10 I am sure it will be great with the ffg.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Most of us switch off daily.

A good task knife should be legal in all your local counties (in my opinion) and not weigh you down too much. Some people fill this role with larger knives like the Manix2, Chinook, etc but unless you wear jeans and cargo pants it can be cumbersome.

Dragonfly, Delica, Rookie, Caly3, Goddard Jr, Lava, Sage 1/2/3, Tazman are just some off the top of my mind. Even a simple Ladybug is a terrific tool that is safe to pull out almost anywhere in the world.

Manix2, Para, Stretch FRN, Caly 3.5, and Military are relatively lightweight if you want a larger one that isn't a boat anchor. Even though I consider knives like the Superhawk comfortable and lightweight in hand in pocket they can be quite wide.

What do you like and what is your price range? With Spyderco the product catalog can be daunting to say the least. :)

Note: My personal pick is the Stretch FRN in ZDP-189 as it's light and has terrific ergos and cutting edge (the Manix2 for a slightly beefier day's work). There is one local county that has a "under 3" blade" limitation which I carry a Delica, Sage, or Phoenix normally.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Like Blerv said, most switch off daily. If I had to choose just one, for what I do and how I dress day to day, I'd probably go with the Para2 since it's robust, yet wicked light for what it is. That said, I'd hate to be limited to just one since I very much enjoy carrying a different knife every day to suit my needs, attire, and mood.
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

I rotate all Spydies (and 2 CRKs) in my signature daily except for the Manix 2 which is a bit too beefy for my work/commute environment.

If I have to choose one, somewhere in the range of 3 inch plain blade (FFG preferred) would be the one for me. Delica, Caly 3 and Sage series would come to mind.
Delica Orange Jigged Bone, Manix2 Orange FFG, Poliwog G-10, Salt I PE Black, Chaparral
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

Arthur Jordan wrote:What Spyderco or Bryd knife would you use as your EDC and why?
Start by setting up parameters:
1) From a LEGAL standpoint, what are you comfortable with?
2) With #1 in mind, what are the extremes that you might encounter for EDC?
What do you need to do with this instrument? Cut coupons or throats? Whittle toothpicks or cut down trees? Butcher large animals or cut apples? Or maybe you have special needs like breaking windows.
3) Having determined the above, you are in a position to narrow down your search. You should, at this point have a blade length, shape and possibly steel type figured out. You need to figure out carry method and this will depend on handedness and whether it's a fixed blade or folder. A lot of this is related to deployment. Deployment is near and dear to the hearts of a lotta knifenuts. It's absolutely important to me as I feel a knife that can't be brought to action in one swift movement is useless. But that's me.
4) At this point, you should have the physicality of the knife narrowed down.
The rest is nuts and bolts and $'s. The nuts and bolts is really aesthetics. What kind of handle (REALLY important to most people), Lock type, ergonomics (SUPER important if you are using the instrument a lot). Clip style and direction. The $ part is up to you. Consider this though, whatever Spyderco you buy will probably outlive you.
Good luck
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Illinois says 3 inch or less so I carry a delica ZDP and a Harpy together unless I'm in gym shorts then just the delica.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

well not one to always follow the letter of the law and not shure why legal length needed to be brought formost into this thread. , my edc pick for work is a zdp stretch, when not at work i edc my Gayle Bradley along with my ZT 0300 sheathed.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I can carry pretty much any length folder I want so I go with a military or a chinook 3 as primary knife.
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I change all the time: VG10 Stretch, S30V Native, Gin2 Pro-Grip, D2 Para as well as a John Greco "Dangler" in 52-100.
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

paramilitary 2 or military. depends on the situation and how much knife i want.
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Tenacious- simplicity is beauty....easy to sharpen, ffg, inexpensive, good ergonomic construction, and I wont worry if I lose it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bada61265 wrote:well not one to always follow the letter of the law and not shure why legal length needed to be brought formost into this thread. , my edc pick for work is a zdp stretch, when not at work i edc my Gayle Bradley along with my ZT 0300 sheathed.
Well it's a factor. Just like some don't care about weight others don't care about the law. It was an open question and is one of my own values. Bringing up religion might be off topic tho :p .

With give/take 100 Spydies in production it's a topic worth mentioning to new folks because there isn't enough talk on the Internet about it. IMHO
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

For my spyderco's.. if I'm not carrying my manix 2 then its a delica. Sometimes will add in a para 2 or military.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

Military or GB

That may change as I have a Sage 3 inbound, I'll have to see. :D
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

My EDC varies but it's usually something like this

My right front pocket I carry a Para2, Manix, Endura, Stretch, Military or Gayle Bradley
There is always a ladybug in my watch pocket, Usually a Hawkbill Salt
My left front pocket i carry a Salt1 SE, Delica SE, or a 79mm Rescue
I also always carry a SAK and a purple VG10 ladybug on my keys
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Main blade for me is the one that will probably change the most...I'm keeping my Ladybug Hawk Salt in my RFP....Saver Salt clipped to the LFP. When I receive my new Para2 its probably going to be my primary one of the bunch...we'll see how it goes.

At work tho...the Tasman or Spyderhawk Salt generally tends to come out to play.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Normally I carry 2 knives. I like the Delica FFG and one with a longer blade or for harder use tasks. Up till now my second knife has been a Stretch (longer blade) or SOG Tomcat 3.0 (hard use). The second knife is chosen based on if I'm going to be doing harder use things that day. Yesterday I got my first Manix 2 (M4, tan handle). The Manix or the Stretch will always me my second knife from now on. But for a while I'll only carry the Manix so I will be forced to use it instead of a smaller knife. I want to do this to get a feel of how I like it for all tasks. The Manix 2 is a great knife, or that is how I feel so far and I don't think that opinion will change. I lowered the edge angle 2 degrees. That took quite a while indicating how tough the steel is. I had time to do some whittling on a small tree branch and didn't loose any sharpness. I could still pop hairs after about 15 minutes of whittling.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Just got a picture of my EDC combination. I'll always have one or both of these (for now anyway).

Manix 2 (M4) and Delica 4 (FFG, ZDP-189)
[ATTACH]16672[/ATTACH]

Jack
Attachments
Manix 2_Delica 4.jpg
Manix 2_Delica 4.jpg (99.39 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

My EDC is nearly always the UKPK FRN ... with the UKPK G10 & CF in reserve for 'best' :) But it all depends on your laws. If lockers were allowed for EDC here then I'd probably carry a Caly3 CF ZDP, Stretch ZDP, Dragonfly or Delica ... but I'd still carry the UKPKs on rotation because they are such great knives and often I find a lock gets in the way.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)