Best Replacement for Caly3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prisoner6

Best Replacement for Caly3?

Post by prisoner6 »

I have misplaced my Caly3, which has been a daily companion for a few years.

I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement.

Things I loved about the Caly3:

1. Size. I don't want anything bigger, ruling out the Caly3.5. I alos liked the slim profile.
2. Weight. I liked that it had a little, but not too much heft.
3. Clip. Love the wire clip.
4. Back Lock. I'm open on locks, but I liked the back lock on the Caly3.
5. G-10 Handles. Prefer G-10, possibly Carbon Fiber.

I'm open on blade steel, and manufacturing origin. I have a UKPK, and like it, but need a locking companion.

Thanks for any assistance!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The closest thing in my book minus the clip and grind is the Rookie G10. It's slimmer, smaller, lighter and has the same length blade. At 2.2 oz it's an amazing tool.

You might find one second hand as the sprint was a couple years ago and not too popular. Compare pics online, the Caly3 looks like an ogre in comparison. :)

Edit: Others that spring to mind are a Kopa (discontinued) or the CF Caly3 zdp189 which is still in production.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Caly3.5 or CF Caly3
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
pl4stic

Post by pl4stic »

The Caly 3 is still available with ZDP-189 and CF scales. The Sage series looks to match what your are looking for too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

pl4stic wrote:The Caly 3 is still available with ZDP-189 and CF scales. The Sage series looks to match what your are looking for too.
Technically the sage is bigger but I agree. Check out comparison pics, it's an amazing series!
bdbender

Post by bdbender »

I have carried both the Sage and the Caly3. In my pockets, at least, the Sage is noticeably "fatter" and heavier. If you can live without the lock, the flat ground UKPKs are the same form as the Caly3 and lighter in weight than the Sage. I have one of the original green G10 handled ones and carry it more than anything else.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I know you said you didn't want bigger but the Caly 3.5 really doesn't seem much bigger, except for the increased utility that extra half inch provides, which imo is significant. It feels and carries like a smaller knife than it is. It's so slim and compact. Marvelous version of the Caly series. I would say give it a try unless there are legal reasons precluding going over 3 inches.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
jldc

Post by jldc »

Best match for your list is a Caly3 CF ZDP. It's a great knife BTW. The rookie in G-10 is a good match. The clip is closer to that on the Delica, but you can add an aftermarket low ride clip (but not a wire one AFAIK). For that matter, you could add a low ride clip to a Delica and be pretty close. The Sage is clearly bigger and has a different lock.

When all is said and done, you seem to want another Caly3.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Yeah, I'd get another Caly 3 (CF version). For about $115, you get laminated ZDP and beautiful CF scales, and the amazing refinement of the design and the fit and finish of the Caly 3.

It's in my top 2-3 favorite knives I own, maybe No. 1
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

Hi,
My vote is for the Cally 3 CF ZDP as first choice.
Sage CF, smooth as butter liner lock, as second choice.
Good luck with Your search!
Have a nice Day!
Charlie
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Caly 3 in CF, or wait for the Chaparral.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Caly 3 CF is great. Even with the smooth scales, it locks into the hand very securely. Also, unless blade length is a legal problem, the Caly 3.5 is amazingly similar in size, just about 1/4 inch longer, unnoticeable in the pocket.

Have you considered a G-10 mini Persian?
:bug-red-white
avoidspam

Post by avoidspam »

You could hang on for the Native 5. If you're not too bothered about a thumb ramp, looks like a tasty number....
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

avoidspam wrote:You could hang on for the Native 5. If you're not too bothered about a thumb ramp, looks like a tasty number....
Great knife. It's a bit wide tho. The Sage was a blend of the Calypso and Native line. I love my wide spidies, can't wait for the Junior! :D
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Either the Caly3 (slick carbon fiber) or Sage1 (textured carbon fiber & linerlock). Or you can wait for the Chaparral (textured carbon fiber, backlock). Or wait for the G10 Native5 (backlock also).
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

The Caly 3 ZDP would be the first choice.
Others would be
Dragonfly G10-slightly smaller but a great knife
Sage 3- Very similar but with a bolt lock
Small Persian 2- different blade shape, and clip. But a very useful knife
Centofante 3
Rookie

Good luck in which ever you choose.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

That Caly 3 carbon fiber zdp-189 does look very nice...

Otherwise, if you change your mind about going a bit bigger, a Paramilitary 2 is a great edc knife.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Jet B wrote:That Caly 3 carbon fiber zdp-189 does look very nice...

Otherwise, if you change your mind about going a bit bigger, a Paramilitary 2 is a great edc knife.
The PM2 is great, (it's one of my top 3 favorites), but it's a very different knife being that the blade is not only a half inch longer and the grind is thicker, but most importantly the handle is much longer and thicker than the Caly 3 (or 3.5 for that matter). It's such a different knife I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is specifically looking for something similar to the Caly 3.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

After looking at it, I'd say one of the closest matches is the G-10 mini Persian. They're almost identical in length, thickness and weight. The Persian actually has a smaller footprint in the pocket because of its blade shape. The biggest difference is the pocket clip. The mini Persian is a very nice EDC knife.

CF Caly 3, and G-10 mini Persian:

:bug-red-white
prisoner6

Post by prisoner6 »

Thanks guys for all of your responses.

Luckily, I found my Caly3. Unluckily, I have now seen the Chaparral, and want one badly.