favorite steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

favorite steel

Post by Popsickle »

What is your favorite steel that spyderco uses, and why? Also what is normal da to day use for your favorite steel?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's hard to beat VG10. It's a great steel and offered in most of the knives I love (Seki makes a TON of knives). It also keeps the price reasonable. H1 is a great worker knife too.

When the price makes sense the more exotic offerings make me happy :) . CPM-M4, ZDP-189, S90v, etc. I LOVE the fact that almost any ZDP knife is also offered in FRN making for a terrific deal for every-day-users with a touch of snobbery.

Guh, basically I haven't tried one I didn't love.
unit

Post by unit »

Blerv wrote:It's hard to beat VG10. It's a great steel and offered in most of the knives I love (Seki makes a TON of knives). It also keeps the price reasonable. H1 is a great worker knife too.

When the price makes sense the more exotic offerings make me happy :) . CPM-M4, ZDP-189, S90v, etc. I LOVE the fact that almost any ZDP knife is also offered in FRN making for a terrific deal for every-day-users with a touch of snobbery.

Guh, basically I haven't tried one I didn't love.
Yep, I have nothing to add.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I'd have to say S90v (with M4 running a close second). It just seems to take a wicked keen edge for me, and then keeps it for a loooong time. I've no problem maintaining it, or re-sharpening/profiling it on the rare occasion I work it too hard for too long without visiting my Sharpmaker. Not saying S90v is inherently 'better' than all other steels, but it sure has found a place in my heart. That said, I can't wait to get my CTS20CP Para2 to see how that stands up next to my S90v Para2.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Another vote for VG10. Does everything really well and stays easy to sharpen.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Right now, it's a tossup between VG-10 and CTS-XHP.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I like VG-10 and 154CM a lot...second favorites would be D2 and S30V....but my most favorite is Surgical Steel from Pakistan :p H1 not too bad either...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Does this count?

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Of course that counts...now go start a fire!....Chuck I just figured out that your avatar is a dog with day glow eyes...LOL :eek: :eek: :eek: ....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Of course that counts...now go start a fire!....Chuck I just figured out that your avatar is a dog with day glow eyes...LOL :eek: :eek: :eek: ....Doc :D
I would if I knew how Doc. My avatar is ruger. He has tritium inserts for eyes. The one on the tip of his tail is orange and when his tail is up, it makes a good sight picture in the dark. :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Haha! Well that's certainly the most "flashy steel".

Sigh, plz try and forget that.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: S30v, I find it much easier to get it very sharp than any other steel. Dunno why I find it a lot easier than vg-10 to sharpen but I do. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I really like the variety...I wouldn't want to use to many of just one steel. However, I agree that VG-10 is a great all-around steel. IMO it has the perfect balance of characteristics. Toughness, hardness/edge retention, fine grain structure, easy to polish and sharpen.

I'd say if I were to choose one steel though that I've enjoyed using the most, it was probably be ZDP-189. Also, CTS-XHP has been a joy to use as well--I can't wait for th Military in it!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

VG10 is hard to beat for everyday use. I like the ease with which it sharpens and the length it keeps a good edge. Also it is less expensive than some of the new "wonder steels".

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
cckw

Post by cckw »

In Spydercos I don't care too much, as long as it isn't China steel. In my hunting knives they all seem to be D2.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

without a doubt, H1.

i like VG-10 for its great balance of rust resistance, ease of sharpening, and edge retention... but i'll always take H1 over everything else. :eek:
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

VG10 and very very close, S30V. Just because VG-10 takes a better finish. I think that both of them get a crazy edge, and I can't feel a significant difference between how they hold it... But are easy to maintain !
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

After being here a while and doing a lot of independent reading I find that they are all really good high quality steels the way :spyder: treats them. From my informal browsing the quantity of vg-10, s30v and ZDP189 offerings from :spyder: far outweigh those from competitors.

vg-10 is easy to sharpen and takes a really nice edge, s30v is a little tougher to sharpen, but both are extremely corrosion resistant. ZDP is a PITA to sharpen and needs a light touch and patience. It rewards you when you get there :)

I'm thinking 50% is in the HT of the steels. "Steel is the heart of the blade, heat treating is the spirit"

It helps that the founder of :spyder: is an avowed steel junky :D :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Based on my collection and the amount of use I have on the various steels, ZDP-189 and CPM-S30V are my favorites. I can get both nasty sharp and they keep an edge for a good amount of time.

Next tier back for me VG-10 and MBS-26. While I can get VG-10 air-bleeding sharp, I don't like how fast the edge fades. I have a large set of the Spyderco kitchen knives (black sermollan handles) that I use everyday for food prep. The thin stock plus rapid ability to sharpen to a fine edge are nice.

I really need to use more of the exotic steels that are out instead of just ogling them. :rolleyes:
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

S90V
CPM M-4
Nothing else even comes close to these two for my uses! :)

ZDP 189
VG10
Tied for 5th D-2, S30V
440C if properly hardened.

In that order. :p

Someday, I'd like to try S35VN and M390