My Navaja Caracas Broke :(

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

unit wrote:How cool is it that Ed is here commenting?

Ed, Sal, the rest of the crew...pure class!
+1

I am really impressed and appreciate with Ed, Sal, and Eric commenting like this.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

speedcut wrote:I think we should not hurry to judge the Taiwan maker because Mr. Schempp said once that this is the only maker of all of them who agreed to make this knife and we are lucky to have the knife made in the first place...just my 2 cents...or euros... :)
That's a very good point.

When I look at the pictures, it looks like it broke from twisting. I wonder if it could use some rubber to reduce the twisting.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Hello All,

1st --- JonUSA -- sorry bro tohear/see that you had this problem. But I'd like to Thank You for posting and for the GREAT photos !!!

2nd -- Thank you Ed for both designing this very cool knife and posting in this thread as well as your posting to this forum.

3rd --- I know that Sal will read this and hope he see's fit to make replacement springs available to us customers who have/will buy this new design.

4th --- My Navaja has a few hours of me playing with it and is still holding up very well and when I can , I'll be buying another so as to have both a user and a "safe queen" !!!!!!!!!!!
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Thanks for the photos of this beautiful models guts. I am sure the postage stamp costs 5 times more than the OEM part.

I'm sure :spyder: will take care once they have some springs on hand. :) :spyder:
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

I'd take the spring to a gunsmith and have him make one.
G27
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

Ed Schempp wrote:There is a lot of evidence demonstrating one of the best companies in cutlery dealing with one of the best sub-contractors on the planet.
Here, here!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

HistoricalMan wrote: Hear, hear!
Fixed that for you. ;)
FlaMtnBkr

Post by FlaMtnBkr »

I have made omega springs for an AXIS lock which looks a little more complicated. I'm almost positive that with some MIG welding wire and a couple pairs of needle nose pliers I could have a new one made in a few minutes. Even if you have to make a half dozen to get it right it wouldn't take much effort. If you don't know anyone with a MIG welder and have an Ace hardware close by they sell short lengths of piano wire in various diameter for less change than is in your pocket.

Worth a try if you don't want to wait. I also think its ridiculous that a warranty would be voided by taking a screwed on bolster off. That's about like changing the position of a pocket clip. Since there is also nothing in the written warranty about disassembly of the knife voiding any warranty I bet most states' warranty laws would agree with me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

FlaMtnBkr wrote:
Worth a try if you don't want to wait. I also think its ridiculous that a warranty would be voided by taking a screwed on bolster off. That's about like changing the position of a pocket clip. Since there is also nothing in the written warranty about disassembly of the knife voiding any warranty I bet most states' warranty laws would agree with me.
I'm sure it could be fixed by the op but why? It won't impact operation and Spyderco will make it right. Bad things can happen to any good product, the statistics just say it wont happen as often. If assembled by another maker chances are F&F and price would be compromised. Fact is they are magic in small scale production.

The warranty is the warranty. Putting a blanket policy to fend off trolls and ham-fisted "mechanics" is in the bes interest of the company. I didn't know there were limitations to state warranty laws regarding product abuse (which would easily be defined as anyone without proper training or tools assembling an intricate tool). I'm no lawyer tho.

Furthermore would a knife with a $130 street price be worth legal proceedings? This last question was merely rhetorical :) .

Thanks to Ed for amazing dialogue and insight. Sorry to Jon but I'm sure he trusts Spyderco completely. Thx to everyone for the courteous conversation that is so rare in the Internet! Have a great weekend!
unit

Post by unit »

Blerv wrote: Furthermore would a knife with a $130 street price be worth legal proceedings? This last question was merely rhetorical :) .
Yeah, I am not a lawyer either.

BUT I suspect that if you were to take this one to the courts you might hope to end up being compensated for your damages...which is a SPRING! What do you suppose the cost of that spring is? I will bet on something less than 130 clams!

This whole discussion is ridiculous because the only person here that experienced a problem is not ranting, crying, threatening, or otherwise throwing tantrums...in fact it sounds like Spyderco is helping the guy out in a manner that is satisfactory to him...so perhaps the rest of us (including me) ought to quietly sit down in our cheap seats.

Since there is also nothing in the written warranty about disassembly of the knife voiding any warranty I bet most states' warranty laws would agree with me.

Here is something straight off the warranty page BTW.
Spyderco’s warranty does not cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

a guy on bladeforums had the carraca mechanism break as well.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ost9549474

edit: and another in bladeforums spyderco subforum.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -is-silent!
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
phaust

Post by phaust »

unit wrote:Yeah, I am not a lawyer either.

BUT I suspect that if you were to take this one to the courts you might hope to end up being compensated for your damages...which is a SPRING! What do you suppose the cost of that spring is? I will bet on something less than 130 clams!

This whole discussion is ridiculous because the only person here that experienced a problem is not ranting, crying, threatening, or otherwise throwing tantrums...in fact it sounds like Spyderco is helping the guy out in a manner that is satisfactory to him...so perhaps the rest of us (including me) ought to quietly sit down in our cheap seats.

Here is something straight off the warranty page BTW.
The warranty quote says that they don't cover damage from disassembly, not that the warranty is voided by disassembling it.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

gundude73 wrote:a guy on bladeforums had the carraca mechanism break as well.

My favorite part is how he comes right out and says that he lied to customer service (saying that he didn't take it apart when he did), and when called out on this, says he has no problem with lying :mad: . Yep, I bet the people at Spyderco don't know how to use this internet thing and never read threads about problems people are having with their knives, so his lie is safe from detection!

Also makes me wonder how truthful he was about the cause and effect; did disassembly due to curiosity cause the broken spring, or did the curiosity of the broken spring cause the disassembly? Not to say that a second (edit: or third) case of a broken spring can't or won't occur, but now you have to wonder. He obviously has no qualms about lying, so then you have to wonder where the lying ends and truth begins.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I think it's awesome that there's this knife with a 4" blade, 5.1 oz., that has a noise-maker feature cool enough that people miss it when it's gone. Inconspicuous, it's not.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

gundude73 wrote:a guy on bladeforums had the carraca mechanism break as well.

edit: and another in bladeforums spyderco subforum.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -is-silent!
Ok from the shots it looks like the exact same break. I am going to void my warranty one way or the other - if people can make an omgea spring then this shouldnt be too hard if required. If taking apart the knife voids the warranty I am stuffed anyway because I completely take apart every folder I own for relubing and checking the lock before use anyway.

so far it sounds like 4 (?) total out of how many thousand have the broken spring so far - out of several thousand that ain't too bad unless you are the guy who got the unlucky unit.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

To have so many similar breaks so soon after the model was released does look like there are some problems, perhaps with assembly. I wonder if the spring is being crimped on some units when the bolster is screwed down?
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
jonUSA,EARTH

Post by jonUSA,EARTH »

ChrisR wrote:To have so many similar breaks so soon after the model was released does look like there are some problems, perhaps with assembly. I wonder if the spring is being crimped on some units when the bolster is screwed down?
Thats kinda what I think.Or perhaps there was to much torx/pressure put on the screw that holds it in place.I think with mine, it snapped where the screw is then fell down into the rachet and snapped the tip off.

I'm still bummed, but its not really an issue to me to much.The knife still functions amazing and the more I use and admire it the more I think that its one of the nicest knives produced by :spyder: in awhile.

I'll patiently wait for my spring :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

jonUSA,EARTH wrote:Thats kinda what I think.Or perhaps there was to much torx/pressure put on the screw that holds it in place.I think with mine, it snapped where the screw is then fell down into the rachet and snapped the tip off.

I'm still bummed, but its not really an issue to me to much.The knife still functions amazing and the more I use and admire it the more I think that its one of the nicest knives produced by :spyder: in awhile.

I'll patiently wait for my spring :)
Please forgive me for asking but are they sending one out or are you getting one custom made?

Thanks for the update
A
Durandan

Post by Durandan »

My Navaja just experienced the same failure about an hour ago. I've had it less than a week and haven't cut anything besides paper. I'm really disappointed considering it was the feature that most intrigued me.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Durandan wrote:My Navaja just experienced the same failure about an hour ago. I've had it less than a week and haven't cut anything besides paper. I'm really disappointed considering it was the feature that most intrigued me.
I am sorry about this. I wouldn't take the knife apart, which will void warranty. I would let Spyderco take care of this. I understand how disappointing this can be, I love the sound as well. But please, keep in the mind that any failure is possible with new product. This can come from design or manufacturing process or both. I am sure that Spyderco will identify root cause and will correct the problem in future. I am saying this as a person who is involved with R&D and manufacturing for last 30 years.
Contact Spyderco customer service and they will take care of you.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian