Glow In The Dark button in your Spydie ;). Done in 2 minutes.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dexter

Glow In The Dark button in your Spydie ;). Done in 2 minutes.

Post by Dexter »

Hi there ;) .

No need to write too long - just a simple mod that you can make in ~2 minutes, and the result looks like this:

What do you need?
- a Glow In The Dark tailcap: Image

- a leather hole-punch: Image

- nail paint or Superglue (nail paint is good for this job if you do not want to stick the button permanently and damage your FRN (or other) handle)

So, after preparing above listed items just cut off the desired thickness part of the tailcap (this little 'button' inside the tailcap) and punch it with the leather hole-punch. I used 4mm one and it should do for most of the lanyard wholes in Spydies ;) . Than add a little bit of nail paint on the edge of the 'button' and place it in the lanyard hole. That's it - nice and simple ;) .

Cheers.
Bladespec

Post by Bladespec »

VERY cool idea might try this some time, very usefull in the dark if u drop your blade too.
I have 8 :spyder:'s More to trade and more to come!
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

next thing ya know someones gonna put a flashlight in a knife....
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

bada61265 wrote:next thing ya know someones gonna put a flashlight in a knife....
Tool Logic already did.
Neat mod Dexter, I would like to have something like that on my nightstand knife.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Victorinox had one in a knife handle by the early 90's.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

Glow powder and some epoxy will do the same trick but would not be as reversible..
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Thanks for the 'bright' idea. ;)
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Glowing How-To!
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

Thanks for the tip. Will try that.
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

I've got some yellow GITD powder and pre-mixed paint from Glow-Inc a few years ago and tried the paint but it didn't come out great. I need to play around with the thickness/consistency of the paint to get it thicker. I've got some clear varnish that I bought to try it out with.

Hey FIMS, great seeing you at the USN GTG on Friday.
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

That's a great idea and it looks good.

I've messed with making scales for a knife and plan on doing more. I think the GITD idea would be great for new scales. The problem I've seen in GITD material (I haven't seen much) is you have to "charge" it with a flashlight and/or it doesn't glow very long. If the material would get charged from normal room light that would be great and/or glow for a long time. Any information on these two things?

Jack
NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic »

jackknifeh wrote:That's a great idea and it looks good.

I've messed with making scales for a knife and plan on doing more. I think the GITD idea would be great for new scales. The problem I've seen in GITD material (I haven't seen much) is you have to "charge" it with a flashlight and/or it doesn't glow very long. If the material would get charged from normal room light that would be great and/or glow for a long time. Any information on these two things?

Jack
Hi Jack, check Glow-Inc. They've got a lot of info on GITD materials, powders, projects, etc and as far as I know, their product is supposed to some of the better quality stuff on the market.
KNIVES & POCKET TOOLS: Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556, 556SBK, Ritter Mini Grip. Spyderco 2x Caly3 G10, 1x Caly 3.5, 1 PM2, Delica1 SE, Delica4 PE, Salt1, Ladybug1, Ladybug2, 2x Ladybug H1, Pacific Salt, Dragonfly FRN, Dragonfly2 FRN, Dragonfly G10, Jester, Bug, Honeybee, 2x Grasshoppers, G10 154CM Manix2, Jerry Hossom Forester.
Others: RAT Cutlery ZT0350, ZT0560, ZT0566, Izula, Izula II, Rat Pack RC-3, RC-4, RC-6,Lite Machete Fallkniven F1, U2, Wenger too many Victorinox too many Beretta, BHK Sml Tiger Knapp, Leatherman Wave, Wave II, Squirt P4[/size]
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

jackknifeh wrote:That's a great idea and it looks good.

Jack
Yeap, tritium would be better, but it's radioactive and needs to be dealt with a special care.

But GITD blue material glows definitely longer than green one and needs less time of 'charging' with (day or tungsten/led) light. Honestly speaking, I just carry my Delica daily and lay it down while being home and it's 'charging' itself to that degree, that it glows vividly during the night time ;) .

P.S. If you want it to glow longer, try 'charging' it with an UV LED - it works ;) .