Favorite Gardening/Yard Work Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
God'sMyJudge

Favorite Gardening/Yard Work Knife

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I'd like to get a gift for someone who spends a lot of time doing yard work and gardening. Do you have a favorite knife for this purpose?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I use the Caspian Salt.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I bought my gf a Pac Salt SE for gardening she loves it. Won't rust, keeps a great edge, good for pruning and trimming plants. Dyed the frn scales dark pink for her too.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

ah. its not for a knife person, so im thinking something a little more conventional, but you think the salt models are good for that?
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

dgulbra wrote:I bought my gf a Pac Salt SE for gardening she loves it. Won't rust, keeps a great edge, good for pruning and trimming plants. Dyed the frn scales dark pink for her too.
perfect, thanks.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

God'sMyJudge wrote:ah. its not for a knife person, so im thinking something a little more conventional, but you think the salt models are good for that?
All the more reason for something like a se salt series. Low maintenance and the se won't require sharpening very often. If she's intimidated by bigger blades maybe go with the Salt 1, closer to delica size and less intimidating to people unfamiliar with knives...
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

It's not a Spyderco, but you can't beat one of these in the garden:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page ... 4245,10504

When I work in the yard, I carry my Byrd Wings for cutting jobs.

Gordon
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Tasman or a Spyderhawk.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

+1 on the lee valley tool, I always carry one when in the garden or doing yard chores. Of course there is a Spyderco in my pocket too. :D
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I like my SE Salt1 or Tasman.

Yellow is a nice color when dropped in dirt or grass.
H1 steel is worry free.
FRN cleans easily with some soapy water.
Come Join Us Click Here
cckw

Post by cckw »

My garden blades are a fully serrated old Endura and a Machete. Either dulls fast in dirt, so you should caution her/him about that. Since you want a Spyderco I agree with the serrated H-1 (salt series) crowd. You can choose the one of your liking.

As a general FYI to all, I have a 14" machete and use it in place of a weed-eater & etc. When really sharp (as I keep my knives) it gets things done fast and easy. I also have a 18" but in a garden that is too long. Important note: I keep the dog in the house when I'm using it. The Endura is for the more precise work, machete get the most action.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

thanks, all
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

I use a yellow PE Aqua Salt, but in retrospect, wish I had bought the serrated version for times when I need a little more cutting power.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Always using my (yellow) Pacific Salt SE when gardening. Won't have to worry about rust, the yellow is easy to spot and SE makes cutting through plants a lot easier ;)

You could use a salt if you think a pacific is too big. I don't really like to use a hawkbill (tasman, spyderhawk) in the garden, the shape isn't really helping with anything I've encountered so far.
Phrede

Post by Phrede »

Although its not a Spydie, this fits the bill for my wife.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Hybrid
ÒWhether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.Ó
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

cckw wrote:My garden blades are a fully serrated old Endura and a Machete. Either dulls fast in dirt, so you should caution her/him about that. Since you want a Spyderco I agree with the serrated H-1 (salt series) crowd. You can choose the one of your liking.

As a general FYI to all, I have a 14" machete and use it in place of a weed-eater & etc. When really sharp (as I keep my knives) it gets things done fast and easy. I also have a 18" but in a garden that is too long. Important note: I keep the dog in the house when I'm using it. The Endura is for the more precise work, machete get the most action.
Ha. great minds think alike.

Though for me it's an SE Millie and a 14" machete

... while on the subject of dogs, mine purposely throws his toys in the path of the lawn mower, just so I can throw them out of the road ....and then he does it again, and again, and again.....

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
DevilDog1833

Post by DevilDog1833 »

93mm Rescue: It allows you to move fast without all those pesky accidental puncture wounds.
Military (G10, PE), Endura II (SS, PE), 93mm Rescue (FRN, SE), Delica (G10, PE), Delica (FRN, CE), Delica Wave (FRN, SE), Delica Wave Trainer (FRN), UKPK Rescue (G10, PE), UKPK Drop Point (G10, PE), Dragonfly (SS, PE), Ladybug (SS, PE), Medowlark (G10, CE), Crow (Aluminum, CE)
newbuyer

Post by newbuyer »

SE Tasman for me. Works great!