Short video of a spydie in action

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

Short video of a spydie in action

Post by tonydahose »

We found a connection with a towing company that lets us tear the cars apart before they bring them to the crusher. We give the guy a couple of firehouse t-shirts and he delivers the cars behind the firehouse :D . I would have used the assist but i had the mustang and i have one of my modded knives with the carbide in that car so i just used the jumpmaster on my firecoat. enjoy.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ ... G_0342.mp4
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Thanks for the video - good to see that the glass breaker works well.
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

I've never tried taking out a window with one of these but that's really impressive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Looks like it works very well! Nice video.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

wow such... ease!
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very cool to see. Thanks for sharing, Tony.

- best wishes, Jazz.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Wow. Looks like you didn't have to put any effort in that at all. I noticed you hit at the edge of the window as apposed to the centre. I hear that's the best spot to hit I guess because there's less flex.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

exactly, if you hit it in the middle with lets say the pick of an axe it will just bounce off unless you put alot of power behind it but then the victim wouldn't be so happy about the follow through of the swing :p .
My knives
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Very nice demonstration, Tony! Thank you for sharing that!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Well, guess that's what I get for parking in a tow away zone in Chicago.

Nice video Tony! Glad to see the glass falls out verse in.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

That was an excellent demonstration. Thank you.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
dialex

Post by dialex »

tonydahose wrote:exactly, if you hit it in the middle with lets say the pick of an axe it will just bounce off unless you put alot of power behind it but then the victim wouldn't be so happy about the follow through of the swing :p .
Indeed. Some time ago, I've seen a video with a couple guys who were trying to break the window of a car with a rock. because on of them forgot the keys inside.
And they were hitting the window in the center, wondering how strong it is. Image
Meanwhile, a third one came and took his chance by hitting the window (also in the center) with his bare fist :rolleyes:
It took them about ten minutes of smashing with that rock till one of them had a lucky shot ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

tonydahose wrote:exactly, if you hit it in the middle with lets say the pick of an axe it will just bounce off unless you put alot of power behind it but then the victim wouldn't be so happy about the follow through of the swing :p .
That is very interesting - both the video and your follow up post.

I was about to say "its cool to see how well those glass breakers work" but now that I understand that there is some technique involved (striking on the edge) I have a fuller understanding (they still work well, you just gotta use em right).

Ya learn something new every day... :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

That was quick!....Remind me never to park my car behind the firehouse when I come to visit!.....or even ask for one of those firehouse shirts....Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Jackson wrote: but now that I understand that there is some technique involved (striking on the edge)
i just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing, when you say striking on the edge, do you mean hit the corner of the window? when you hit the window with the carbide point it should be perpendicular to it. i just didnt want any confusion in case anyone needs to do this one day. On a side note, the window punches that have a spring inside usually work anywhere on a window but for something like my knife or an assist, the glass will break easier if you hit it in a bottom corner.
My knives
mobi

Post by mobi »

It is very difficult to break the side window of a car , i locked my keys inside years ago and had to borrow a hammer to bust the glass, i did see on tv though a trick criminals use which is to use a small jagged crystal type stone (real small maybe only 1/2") those guys would keep a suitable piece handy in their pocket and if they saw a bag or lap top on a car seat they would throw this as hard as possible at the glass , it was surprising to see it worked so well.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

A quartz or harder crystal with a good point should definitely be good on glass, as will shards of porcelain of the type found on spark plugs. The porcelain is so hard and so sharp that it has been known to shatter glass easily when thrown with moderate force. I believe the same is typically true with properly knapped obsidian.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

BTW, nice vid Tony. Good to see how easily that tip works.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!